Productivity CPU Questions

Ok, hello guys i am sure this question has been asked a million times but what is actually true. So far i have had and used always intel processors and before this laptop that i have right now, i actually had an amd graphics card with an intel processor. But history aside, what i really want to know now is what is best. After checking a lot of linus tech tips videos as well as techquickie i have had a change of mind about intel processors, and as i entered college and the waters of youtube rendering as well as graphics design and other work heavy programs such as 3dmax/blender and so on, i have to say linus videos made me think about the new ryzen chips. Now what i really want to know is how will amd ryzen 5 1600x go up against intel core i5 8400/7600k/7640x since these processors are about the same price range and my budget. After that i at first thought about SLI connecting 2 nvidia 1060 6gb asus cards with at first just buying one gtx card and adding another down the road, i thought of this after watching the linus video about more bang for the buck and rethought my original idea of buying 2 sli 1050 gtx cards straight away. Now how will amd ryzen 5 cooperate with nvidia 1060gtx and is it better staying in the "family". Also will i see performance upgrade to my laptop (i mean it may be obvious but for the sake of it indulge me) which rocks an i5 6600q with an nvidia gtx 950m 2gb ddr5 and 8gb ddr4 samsung? What is your suggestion on a moderate workstation/gaming PC. Also i would be using 16gb ddr4 ram with 3333mhz hyperx predator, as for the motherboard as you know that would depend upon whether i would end up using ryzen or intel and finally for rendering and 3d modeling how will the processors stack up to each other and is nvidia shadowplay better since its integrated in the graphics card support. Thank you and sorry for this block of text :)

1060 sli is not possible

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

nvidia works in intel/amd

amd works in intel/amd

doesn't matter

i'd say wait for ryzen refresh (second generation of ryzen, better stock/overclock speeds probably, slightly cheaper also possibly), and get that,

don't SLI two lower cards, get one faster card. 

you'll see a huge performance increase from that laptop.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

you cant sli with GTX 1060's. 

I would personally go with a ryzen processor, and a nvidia graphics card. 

Big upgrade from the laptop

Cant SLI 1060's and especially not 1050's.

SLI this generation is just 1070 and up.

On team red you can crossfire 470/570 and up.

Though i think you can actually crossfire 460/560/550's as well but not with official drivers.

As far as an entry level workstation, go with something generally midrange. Something like the R5 1600 and GTX 1060 6gb or older generation car on par like a GTX 980/980ti used.

Or for AMD an R9 290x or 390, finding a current gen RX series card for not terrible inflated prices is pretty much impossible.

A step down if youre not in any rush for rendering speeds would be like a Ryzen 3 1200 + 1050ti/RX560

And you can still upgrade that in the future all the up to an R7 1800x and whatever GPU you want.

If it fits in a pcie x16 slot it will work fine, there really isnt any difference on a hardware level between Nvidia and AMD, and the same really goes for processors. That was more of a thing like a decade ago.

Can't SLI 1050's or 1060's only 1070's or above, in general SLI support seems to be going away, just get a better single strong GPU. also what you post please divide content up into easy to read paragraphs instead of walls of text, only Trump likes big walls.

1 minute ago, Snipergod87 said:

only Trump likes big walls.

true oldschool forum denizens are professionals at reading incoherent walls of text

because BACK IN MY DAY the punctuation and enter keys didnt exist, and neither did shift

you either had capslock or no capslock

get on my level

8 minutes ago, campy said:

true oldschool forum denizens are professionals at reading incoherent walls of text

because BACK IN MY DAY the punctuation and enter keys didnt exist, and neither did shift

you either had capslock or no capslock

get on my level

LOL So true

Most people dont even bother reading, I sure as fuck didnt!

If the OP doesnt care, nor does anyone else

Ok so Campy mentioned the rx amd graphics cards

Here in Eu the price is same for the asus amd rx 580oc 8gb ddr5 as for the asus nvidia 1060 6gb ddr5

Is the nvida worth compared to amd and at what level. Here i can order the 550/560/570/580 for 140/250/550/650 US$ respectively

Here no more wall

Just good ol' fence

1 minute ago, AkiName said:

Is the nvida worth compared to amd and at what level. Here i can order the 550/560/570/580 for 140/250/550/650 US$ respectively

Thats stupidly overpriced, here the 550/560/570/580 were 80/120/200/250 USD each.

Bitcoin miners made pretty much everything above an RX 560 or GTX 1050ti stupidly expensive, and those price trends have actually bled down into less popular cards for crypto mining because sellers know they can probably charge another 50$ for a 1050ti.

I highly advise just not buying a modern card. You'll find better deals on older cards used for the performance you get out of them.

Example, a 780ti (with specific older drivers because newer drivers gimped performance) performs similarly to a 3gb GTX 1060, and you can get them used for about 150$ on average on ebay (here in the US at least), compared to 250-300$ for a new 3gb 1060.

Or a 980ti for 300$ vs a 1070 for 500-600$.

If you are going to delve into paying crypto price hike prices for a new GPU anyway, a 6gb GTX 1060 is a good choice, CUDA would be more useful for you in workstation loads over the overall better compute performance of the RX 580.

2 minutes ago, campy said:

If you are going to delve into paying crypto price hike prices for a new GPU anyway, a 6gb GTX 1060 is a good choice, CUDA would be more useful for you in workstation loads over the overall better compute performance of the RX 580.

Well here as you said the price sky-rocketed because of bitmining and the 6gb gtx 1060 costs around 520$ new and for example the reference card 1070 8gb goes for around 850$. The used market is worthless as well with only really old cards like gtx 660ti going for 140$ and i don't even have to mention the 1080ti asus 11gb going for 1440$ through shady over the border delivery since all the store ones are sold out. The only thing you can find on the used market these days is the bitmining rigs going for 10000$+

2 minutes ago, AkiName said:

Well here as you said the price sky-rocketed because of bitmining and the 6gb gtx 1060 costs around 520$ new and for example the reference card 1070 8gb goes for around 850$. The used market is worthless as well with only really old cards like gtx 660ti going for 140$ and i don't even have to mention the 1080ti asus 11gb going for 1440$ through shady over the border delivery since all the store ones are sold out. The only thing you can find on the used market these days is the bitmining rigs going for 10000$+

If thats the case, try and buy from US sellers on sites like ebay. Look for any offering international shipping, im sure the customs cost and all that will probably be offset by the couple hundred bucks saved.

ebay is full of these

Untitled.png

I couldn't get more than 3 sentences into that wall of text, here's my breakdown of the "best" tech you can buy.

Cpus:

Tier zero, nothing gets better though none are good choices for gamers due to cost.  Prosumers or professionals are the target audience.

7980xe

7960x/1950x

7940x/7920x/7900x/6950x/1920x/5960x

Tier one, consumer grade gaming and productivity lives here

7820x/7800x

1800x/1700x/1700/8700/8600k/7700k

8600/1600/1400/8350k

Tier two, I didn't really think this through but this is the budget section.

i3 8100

2400g

2200g

G4560 etc.

Graphics cards!

Titan xp

1080 ti

1080     =      Vega 64

1070      =      Vega 56     =      980 ti/ titan Xm

1060 6gb     =      rx 580     =      gtx 980

1060 3gb     =      rx 570     =      gtx 970

1050 ti     =      _______     =      gtx 960

1050     =      rx 560

1030     =      rx 550, Vega 8

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

28 minutes ago, campy said:

If thats the case, try and buy from US sellers on sites like ebay. Look for any offering international shipping, im sure the customs cost and all that will probably be offset by the couple hundred bucks saved.

ebay is full of these

Yes i thought of that as well but the import fees for things here is abnormally huge since they have some shit brand new margin from i don't know where. Maybe i'll just get on a flight to Chicago directly from here since I'm 2km from the airport and the ticket costs 850$ for the return flight anyways thank you for reminding me that i live in the fiscal approved hell... :D

One more thing can someone recommend me the ATX motherboard for an 1060 gtx,

that has but not necessarily SLI support

and that supports the ryzen 1600x processor,

also with support for 32gb+ ddr4 ram so favorably 4 ram slots

I know I'm probably a pain in the scrotum, but thanks anyways :)