Modding A gpu reference Cooler?

I've got a GTX 980 that I bought second hand about 6 months ago. It runs fine, but I have it at about 85 percent fan speed, and it sounds like a jet engine and it still throttles at an 85 degree limit. It is an MSI reference design and I was wondering if removing the shroud and stock fan and attaching a couple of good case fans to the top would be a viable way of improving thermal, and therefore overclocking performance (As well as making it a bit quieter). Here is the best link to show the GPU (I don't think it was that popular); https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-980-4GD5-V1

Thanks in advance

EDIT: this should probably be in GPU's but I don't know how to move it 

6 minutes ago, Tjrawl said:

I've got a GTX 980 that I bought second hand about 6 months ago. It runs fine, but I have it at about 85 percent fan speed, and it sounds like a jet engine and it still throttles at an 85 degree limit. It is an MSI reference design and I was wondering if removing the shroud and stock fan and attaching a couple of good case fans to the top would be a viable way of improving thermal, and therefore overclocking performance (As well as making it a bit quieter). Here is the best link to show the GPU (I don't think it was that popular); https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GTX-980-4GD5-V1

Thanks in advance

EDIT: this should probably be in GPU's but I don't know how to move it 

Ever seen a nzxt gpu bracket? Takes aio coolers

In theory, that sounds good but I don't have room for an AIO in my case, any size.

There are akso aftermaket GPU aircoolers like the Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, thelordofwarr said:

There are akso aftermaket GPU aircoolers like the Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV

But it will only fit if it has a refrence PCB

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

i'm looking to keep this cheap, so I only really want to know if the diy solution will work, though thanks for the suggestion none the less

You might be able to lower temps by simply removing the plastic shroud. I've read about a user that removed the clear window on a reference model 1080 Ti and lowered temps by 10C. I'm not sure if the lack of a shroud entirely will have negative effects or not, but it might be worth a try.

1 hour ago, Doomed83 said:

You might be able to lower temps by simply removing the plastic shroud. I've read about a user that removed the clear window on a reference model 1080 Ti and lowered temps by 10C. I'm not sure if the lack of a shroud entirely will have negative effects or not, but it might be worth a try.

The shroud is there to help channel air for the blower. Without it, the blower won't work as well when it's equipped.

Removing the window on a 1080 Ti is slightly different that removing the entire shroud.

2 hours ago, Tjrawl said:

I was wondering if removing the shroud and stock fan and attaching a couple of good case fans to the top would be a viable way of improving thermal

It would be. Might be hard to mount fans though.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III