Random Program and Windows Crashes

Nekodev
Go to solution Solved by Vg05KO9r,

Mhmm, ok we've tried and tested the immediate critical components if you have put any new hardware in your machine like any NICs or RAM take them out and test your rig. If you've recently applied an overclock profile to your CPU, remove it and test.  Aside from the hardware you should probably check your Windows installation for errors so, check disk utility etc. 

You could always make a live Linux USB, boot into that and play around with it for awhile and if it crashes then we know this problem isn't OS related and is an issue with the hardware itself.  

Some utilities you should probably have a look at for your Windows installation: 

WinDirStat - disk usage statistics, basically tell you where the largest files are.

CCleaner - pc decrapifier xD

ProduKey - View license keys.

It may end up being the case that a Windows reinstallation is just easier, in the event of that becoming a reality I recommend you have a scroll through Nirsoft as they have some cool little system utilities which will make the reinstallation process easier, like ProduKey view. Which will help you locate product keys for your Microsoft products. 

As with all things I absolve myself of responsibility by saying, read into what this software can do before using them, for example, WinDirStat, while being an extremely powerful content eraser tool, it's not like your normal recycle feature within windows, once you've selected something for deletion there's no way back.

Best of luck with it. 

Let me know if you need any help or anything xD

Hello. Recently, I've been experiencing a large amount of problems with my PC. So basically whats happening is I'm experiencing crashes from things like Chrome, Discord, and sometimes Windows freezes entirely. When the programs crash, they don't throw up any error messages what so ever, they just seem to close themselves. This has been happening for about two weeks and I haven't been able to figure out the problem. I have also run Malwarebytes, but no luck there since nothing was detected. 

My PC specs:

- Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

- AMD FX-8320 (yes i'm aware its old)

- PNY XLR8 16GB DDR3 (2133mHz) in dual-channel

- ASRock 970A-G/3.1 (BIOS Version: P1.20)

- Gigabyte GTX 960 (GV-N960OC-4GD)

- EVGA 700W PSU 

- Segate 1TB HDD

- ADATA 240GB SSD (boot drive)

I also have a sound card and a wi-fi card. Please help I would greatly appreciate it.

I would say it could be your RAM, as I experience the same with barely 4GB, but 16GB seems to be enough.

Try opening up Discord and Chrome with a bunch of tabs and monitor the memory they take up. Maybe your RAM chips are about to die or something is overloading your CPU in the background. Try monitoring your CPU temperature as well.

2 minutes ago, top_line said:

I would say it could be your RAM, as I experience the same with barely 4GB, but 16GB seems to be enough.

Try opening up Discord and Chrome with a bunch of tabs and monitor the memory they take up. Maybe your RAM chips are about to die or something is overloading your CPU in the background. Try monitoring your CPU temperature as well.

CPU Temps and usage fine (around 5% and 27C), RAM usage is around 20%, and discord doesn't even open anymore :D even after i re-installed!

seriously though thanks for that suggestion

57 minutes ago, Nekotronics said:

CPU Temps and usage fine (around 5% and 27C), RAM usage is around 20%, and discord doesn't even open anymore :D even after i re-installed!

seriously though thanks for that suggestion

In that case I'm a bit out of solutions. This thread seems pretty revelant, though.

17 hours ago, Jake Madden said:

Have you tried stress testing your CPU? 

Stress test came back with no problems after 7 hours

Have you checked the health of your SSD with a software like HD tune?

1 hour ago, Jake Madden said:

Have you checked the health of your SSD with a software like HD tune?

everything says OK

Mhmm, ok we've tried and tested the immediate critical components if you have put any new hardware in your machine like any NICs or RAM take them out and test your rig. If you've recently applied an overclock profile to your CPU, remove it and test.  Aside from the hardware you should probably check your Windows installation for errors so, check disk utility etc. 

You could always make a live Linux USB, boot into that and play around with it for awhile and if it crashes then we know this problem isn't OS related and is an issue with the hardware itself.  

Some utilities you should probably have a look at for your Windows installation: 

WinDirStat - disk usage statistics, basically tell you where the largest files are.

CCleaner - pc decrapifier xD

ProduKey - View license keys.

It may end up being the case that a Windows reinstallation is just easier, in the event of that becoming a reality I recommend you have a scroll through Nirsoft as they have some cool little system utilities which will make the reinstallation process easier, like ProduKey view. Which will help you locate product keys for your Microsoft products. 

As with all things I absolve myself of responsibility by saying, read into what this software can do before using them, for example, WinDirStat, while being an extremely powerful content eraser tool, it's not like your normal recycle feature within windows, once you've selected something for deletion there's no way back.

Best of luck with it. 

Let me know if you need any help or anything xD