VRAM HEATSINKS ON GPU?

SINCLR

IM GOING TO BE COOLING MY MSI R9 390X WITH A KRAKEN G12 AND CORSAIR H90 - DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THOSE LITTLE COPPER/ALUMINIUM STICK ON HEAT SINKS FOR THE VRAM CHIPS?? I THINK THERE ARE 16 OF THEM....AND IF SO DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT SIZE?? IM PRETTY SURE THEY ARE 14MM/12MM...

390x board.jpg

VRAM dosent really need cooling, the VRM does though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, SINCLR said:

-SNIP-

The G12 adapter has a fan for actively cooling the VRAM but ideally having some heatsinking on the VRM is more important if there isn't already one on your card. 

when i removed everything and changed the thermal paste a while ago i did NOT have thermal pads on the vram only on these "sfc's"...which are the vrms i take it now..ok so basically heat sink the shiz out of 7 vrm's and 16 vrams...? lol i just spent ages finding (what i think) is the right size of the vrams footprint...back on google i go for the smaller ones! these copper heatsinks are nowhere to be found in New Zealand so frustrating

7 minutes ago, SINCLR said:

when i removed everything and changed the thermal paste a while ago i did NOT have thermal pads on the vram only on these "sfc's"...which are the vrms i take it now..ok so basically heat sink the shiz out of 7 vrm's and 16 vrams...? lol i just spent ages finding (what i think) is the right size of the vrams footprint...back on google i go for the smaller ones! these copper heatsinks are nowhere to be found in New Zealand so frustrating

Take a photo of your current card without the main heatsink we can determine exactly what you would need for your specific model of card. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Take a photo of your current card without the main heatsink we can determine exactly what you would need for your specific model of card. 

oh TG i took pictures when i cleaned it lol

there she is

28461683_10214153520248688_54241459_o.jpg

7 minutes ago, SINCLR said:

oh TG i took pictures when i cleaned it lol

there she is

Alright that has a midplate so your VRAM will stay cool with that but for the VRM your going to want to get adhesive heatsinks over them as they originally interfaced with the main heatsink array. Take a measurement to get approx the size of heatsink you'll need to span across the whole section. 

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Alright that has a midplate so your VRAM will stay cool with that but for the VRM your going to want to get adhesive heatsinks over them as they originally interfaced with the main heatsink array. Take a measurement to get approx the size of heatsink you'll need to span across the whole section. 

sweet! cheers

If you end up going with something else, 10x10mm fits pretty well. 

I always cool my vram, they design all cards to do so pretty much. Even go out of my way to cool the vram on the back of my cards. 

IMG_0843.JPG

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz