Cooling issue, 8700k and 240mm rad

Don Moayad

Hello,

I have built my pc yesterday and everything went well. The only thing that I find irritating is the temps. The cpu runs very smooth and cool while gaming and multitasking. The idle temps are about 30 C and gaming and multi tasking temps don’t exceed 65 and and when I try cinabench the temps barely hit around 76. The chip isn’t delided.

the problem is in blender the temps goes crazy in the middle of rendering the bmw demo.. two cores get to 92 or something. And in Aida64 the temps are normal! The temps are the same as cinabench..

the h100i v2(installed in the front) has only the two fans that came with it.. 

should I add two more fans?

there is also a cpu fan error that I get on boot even though I have them connected to the pump fan splitter should I buy extensions and connect the fans to the motherboard?

^this probably doesn’t have a relation with the cooling issue just adding it here to make sure I have no issues.

I have built PC before but this is the first time I’ve used an AIO.

Asus Maximus X Hero

H100i v2

thank you!

Being an 8700k, overall temperatures look fine, except for the 92C in Blender. I don't think adding to extra fans to the radiator will help much with temps. Do you have MCE enable in the BIOS by any chance?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

Being an 8700k, overall temperatures look fine, except for the 92C in Blender. I don't think adding to extra fans to the radiator will help much with temps. Do you have MCE enable in the BIOS by any chance?

Yeah, all above was done with a 5ghz OC. And yes MCE was enabled idk if that would change anything if it’s overclocked

6 minutes ago, Don Moayad said:

Yeah, all above was done with a 5ghz OC.

That sounds more like a manual OC, right? MCE shouldn't have an effect then IIRC. Maybe lower the voltage a tiny little bit? Though I'm sure you've dialed it in already.

Is it getting to 92 consistenly or is it just a spike?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

18 minutes ago, tikker said:

That sounds more like a manual OC, right? MCE shouldn't have an effect then IIRC. Maybe lower the voltage a tiny little bit? Though I'm sure you've dialed it in already.

Is it getting to 92 consistenly or is it just a spike?

It's a spike not consistently. Also the overclock was a preset in the motherboard I haven't tried to manually overclock it. I will run everything on default setting except the ram I will keep it at 3200mhz

28 minutes ago, Don Moayad said:

It's a spike not consistently. Also the overclock was a preset in the motherboard I haven't tried to manually overclock it. I will run everything on default setting except the ram I will keep it at 3200mhz

Oh I thought MCE didn't clock that high. That can cause the high temps then. I seem to remember reading/hearing that it was somewhat aggressive in overclocking (i.e. more voltage than necessary). Turning that off will probably solve your temperature issues.

What's the average temperature during a render though? My 7700k sometimes spikes to ridiculous temperatures as well (like 88C or so), yet it hasn't seemed to have harmed the chip in any way. So if while rendering you're well in safe temperatures than personally I wouldn't worry about an occasional spike.

33 minutes ago, tikker said:

Oh I thought MCE didn't clock that high. That can cause the high temps then. I seem to remember reading/hearing that it was somewhat aggressive in overclocking (i.e. more voltage than necessary). Turning that off will probably solve your temperature issues.

What's the average temperature during a render though? My 7700k sometimes spikes to ridiculous temperatures as well (like 88C or so), yet it hasn't seemed to have harmed the chip in any way. So if while rendering you're well in safe temperatures than personally I wouldn't worry about an occasional spike.

It's not just MCE. You are right about MCE if you think they make all the cores run at 4.7Ghz but there is a preset overclock profile that make the cpu run at 5Ghz which it did and it was running perfectly and stable at good temps for 8700k but only in blender it runs way hotter than usual. Anyways thank you. I'll try to figure out how to manually overclock an efficient overclock rather than using a preset profile from the motherboard.

Few other things because you have an asus motherboard. Does the HW monitor has a wrong or glitched reading for the TMPIN4. The current/min values are 0 C and the max is 128C.

Also Fan error things at every boot. :')

Thank so much by the for the prompt responses!

42 minutes ago, Don Moayad said:

It's not just MCE. You are right about MCE if you think they make all the cores run at 4.7Ghz but there is a preset overclock profile that make the cpu run at 5Ghz which it did and it was running perfectly and stable at good temps for 8700k but only in blender it runs way hotter than usual. Anyways thank you. I'll try to figure out how to manually overclock an efficient overclock rather than using a preset profile from the motherboard.

Few other things because you have an asus motherboard. Does the HW monitor has a wrong or glitched reading for the TMPIN4. The current/min values are 0 C and the max is 128C.

Also Fan error things at every boot. :')

Thank so much by the for the prompt responses!

Ah I see. 5GHz is a nice OC anyway and it looks like you have perfect temps, besides the spikes. I guess manually trying to get 5GHz stable on a little less voltage perhaps is the only thing that comes to mind.

With "the HW monitor" do you mean Asus AI Suite?

There is a temperature sensor header on the motherboard to connect e.g. a water temperature probe for a watercooling loop. It might be TMPIN4 is that sensor and that it it just cannot get a good read, since there is nothing to read and spazzez out.

As for the CPU fan error, from the first post I gather you've only connected the fans to the pump? Did you connect the pump to the PUMP header by chance and not the CPU_FAN header? The motherboard needs something connected to the CPU_FAN header, otherwise it will throw that error. Can't see how you would be fine as you are if you didn't though.

[Edit] Seems like for the H100i v2 you might need to set the CPU fan speed to 100% or disable fan speed control altogether through QFan for this error to disappear.

26 minutes ago, tikker said:

Ah I see. 5GHz is a nice OC anyway and it looks like you have perfect temps, besides the spikes. I guess manually trying to get 5GHz stable on a little less voltage perhaps is the only thing that comes to mind.

With "the HW monitor" do you mean Asus AI Suite?

There is a temperature sensor header on the motherboard to connect e.g. a water temperature probe for a watercooling loop. It might be TMPIN4 is that sensor and that it it just cannot get a good read, since there is nothing to read and spazzez out.

As for the CPU fan error, from the first post I gather you've only connected the fans to the pump? Did you connect the pump to the PUMP header by chance and not the CPU_FAN header? The motherboard needs something connected to the CPU_FAN header, otherwise it will throw that error. Can't see how you would be fine as you are if you didn't though.

[Edit] Seems like for the H100i v2 you might need to set the CPU fan speed to 100% or disable fan speed control altogether through QFan for this error to disappear.

I connected the pump to the pump header but the two fans has short cables and I connected them to the two splitters that are in the pump cable. Maybe I should buy fan extensions to connect them directly to the motherboard?

5 minutes ago, Don Moayad said:

I connected the pump to the pump header but the two fans has short cables and I connected them to the two splitters that are in the pump cable. Maybe I should buy fan extensions to connect them directly to the motherboard?

Connect the pump to the CPU_FAN header and the error should go away.

3 hours ago, tikker said:

Connect the pump to the CPU_FAN header and the error should go away.

I put the cpu fan monitor on ignore from the motherboard and it boots normally now..

Also the temperatures of the cpu are still weird.. I'll use the pc for a while to make sure of all the issues.

Thank you so much ! :)