Cooling an i7-8700

Talunus

What would be the best way to coo, an i7-8700 or the 8700k? I do plan on overclocking either one however I am new to the pc scene so I'm very unfamiliar with cooling hardware.

Firstoff, you can't overclock non-K chips on the intel side, so you'd want the 8700K (all Ryzen CPUs are overclockable though, with a B350 board or X370).

If you want to get to 5Ghz or more, then you'd want at least a dual-tower air cooler (like the NH-D15 or Dark rock pro 3) or a 240mm AIO. less than 5Ghz will be fine with something like a Cryorig H7.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

i would probably recomend an AIO cooler. something in the lines of corsair h100i or even more so the nzxt kraken x62. they need no mantenance and are easier to install than normal water cooling. they should be sufficient for the 8700 , but it is a very hot cpu.

and yes as RadiatingLight said you cannot overclock the non K variants of intel processors

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

then you'd want at least a dual-tower air cooler (like the NH-D15 or Dark rock pro 3) or a 240mm AIO. less than 5Ghz will be fine with something like a Cryorig H7.

awesome thank you

1 minute ago, Rackooo said:

but it is a very hot cpu.

yes I have heard this, would it be safer to just water cool?

2 minutes ago, Talunus said:

awesome thank you

Water cooling generally performs worse than a beefy air cooler..... There are exceptions for huge watercooling loops of course, but air beats water in AIOs

Don't forget to quote when replying to me

1 minute ago, Talunus said:

Not always. Coolers like the NH-D15 and Dark Rock Pro 3 are better than most midrange AIOs. High-end AIOs like the NZXT X62 are still the best off-the-shelf cooling you can get, but the dual-tower air coolers can beat most 240mm AIOs.

You'd also want to get a Z370 motherboard (not like you have any other option at the moment), because non Z-series boards can't overclock.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Running the Z370 and the Dark Rock Pro 3 along with my gtx 1060, would i want a mid atx tower or full tower?

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Not always. Coolers like the NH-D15 and Dark Rock Pro 3 are better than most midrange AIOs. High-end AIOs like the NZXT X62 are still the best off-the-shelf cooling you can get, but the dual-tower air coolers can beat most 240mm AIOs.

You'd also want to get a Z370 motherboard (not like you have any other option at the moment), because non Z-series boards can't overclock.

Naturally they can compete with them, but liquid coolers are better if you don't have that much room in your case. Also helps the GPU cool itself if the CPU heat is being exhausted out of instead of into a case

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

what kind of wattage would I want to look at thenfor a power supply for this current set up?

2 minutes ago, Talunus said:

what kind of wattage would I want to look at then for this current set up?

a good 500watt should be fine

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

13 minutes ago, Talunus said:

Running the Z370 and the Dark Rock Pro 3 along with my gtx 1060, would i want a mid atx tower or full tower?

Doesn't really matter. Pick whatever you want based on ease of building, looks, and price.

BTW, if you're only gaming, an 8700K is way overkill for a 1060. something like an i5 8400 would be way more than enough.

11 minutes ago, Talunus said:

what kind of wattage would I want to look at thenfor a power supply for this current set up?

450W is enough, maybe go for 550/650W if you're planning to upgrade your GPU later to something more powerful with your 8700K (look in my sig for a link called "you don't need a big PSU" for more info on wattage draw), but make sure it's a good quality PSU. at least tier 3 on the PSU tier list. (also linked in sig)

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

BTW, if you're only gaming, an 8700K is way overkill for a 1060. something like an i5 8400 would be way more than enough.

It probably is but I want the i7-8700k for heavy multitasking such as streaming those games as well as audio production. I would as well inevitably upgrade to a gtx 1080