Port Resetting

stephankusel

How come my internet always slows down over a course of 1 week. I have a 4 M/bit line (fastest available in my area) but within a week or quicker, it slows down to 2 or even sub 1. It seems the only solution is to keep phoning my ISP and asking them to do a port reset. What is a port reset and why is it the only thing that can get my speed back to normal?

Probably just clears the established connection node so you get a fresh tunnel etc.

It sounds like you've got an issue either with your router or your home's cabling.

I had this for years before I upgraded to Fibre and got a new hub.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

This is just DSL being DSL. They are not doing a port reset, more like just forcing a retrain which re-sync your speeds. As DSL runs into interference, affected channels get shut off which mean speeds lower. If SRA is not on enabled on the modem and the port (on the ISP side) then the channels remain shut off until it retrains or is rebooted. So that is what is happening.

You can call your ISP and they can check the line but usually with this case there is something inside the house causing interference. Honestly the best and fastest way is grab an AM radio and set it to 600-900mhz and listen for heavy static as you follow the phone line from the modem. Usually this happens when the line runs next to microwaves or power lines or just too close to a router. 

17 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

This is just DSL being DSL. They are not doing a port reset, more like just forcing a retrain which re-sync your speeds. As DSL runs into interference, affected channels get shut off which mean speeds lower. If SRA is not on enabled on the modem and the port (on the ISP side) then the channels remain shut off until it retrains or is rebooted. So that is what is happening.

You can call your ISP and they can check the line but usually with this case there is something inside the house causing interference. Honestly the best and fastest way is grab an AM radio and set it to 600-900mhz and listen for heavy static as you follow the phone line from the modem. Usually this happens when the line runs next to microwaves or power lines or just too close to a router. 

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply, will give it a try and I really hope I can get it sorted, maybe otherwise I should consider using 4G internet instead.