[Solved] System tray clock is always wrong

t33to

Hey all,

Every time I boot my machine my system tray clock is out a random amount of hours. I don't understand how this is happening as I'm leaving it plugged in, but the machine is powered down. I know there is a coin battery on the motherboard that will maintain system clock when the power is disconnected but even if it's dead, shouldn't my machine be keeping the right time if I leave it plugged in? What else could be the cause of this? Rogue application?

FYI, I don't dual boot linux which I know will alter the system clock.

Update: I found a forum somewhere that mentioned that this clock-out-of-sync issue is related to a known bug in UEFI. The user who reported this claimed that he flashed his bios and the problem went away. I flashed my bios and the problem persisted but I never cleared my bios before hand. So I fully powered down my system, flipped the switch on the PSU, removed the cmos battery, held the power button down to clear the caps, replaced cmos battery, and during bootup the bios informed all settings were lost and the system clock is now staying current. Thanks for the suggestions!

7 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

do you have Windows set to update automatically or not?

It's set to notify me of updates, of which I selectively choose which ones I want. Does that affect the system clock? I've never experienced this before.

12 minutes ago, t33to said:

Hey all,

Every time I boot my machine my system tray clock is out a random amount of hours. I don't understand how this is happening as I'm leaving it plugged in, but the machine is powered down. I know there is a coin battery on the motherboard that will maintain system clock when the power is disconnected but even if it's dead, shouldn't my machine be keeping the right time if I leave it plugged in? What else could be the cause of this? Rogue application?

FYI, I don't dual boot linux which I know will alter the system clock.

Make sure it is statically set to the right timezone (not automatic) and set it to use internet time. it should always be correct if so. make sure the date is accurate as well (usually a sign that the battery is dying and/or dead.

regarding the battery, do you get an error on boot that it is dead or has low voltage? If so it needs replacing.

2 minutes ago, t33to said:

It's set to notify me of updates, of which I selectively choose which ones I want. Does that affect the system clock? I've never experienced this before.

if you are in windows 10, right click you clock in the system tray and select "adjust date/time" make sure "set time automatically" is on:

(My system is on a domain and automatic time is set by a policy so it is greyed out, yours wount be)

image.png.660918c1bbc7cff8f4db433148e87ec5.png

16 minutes ago, y0y0ninja said:

if you are in windows 10, right click you clock in the system tray and select "adjust date/time" make sure "set time automatically" is on:

(My system is on a domain and automatic time is set by a policy so it is greyed out, yours wount be)

image.png.660918c1bbc7cff8f4db433148e87ec5.png

It's set to sync, but every time I boot it's out. I'll try replacing the battery I guess and see what happens.

Untitled.png