Choosing right earphones

atrash

I've been reading through lots of different audio threads in this forum (it's been fun reading some of you guys replies and banters among each other, and quite educational too), but I still have yet to get a clear idea on how to choose a good budget earphones.

I mainly listen to rock genre music in general (old & new stuffs), I think good clear bass is one of the requirement and also something that doesn't muddle up when several instruments are playing loudly together (clear sound distinction between each instruments).

I will be pairing it with Fiio E07K (going to purchase together with the earphones) and a Lumia 620

Before that I have several questions first (just to educate myself) before I would like to ask you guys on the recommendations;

1) Does driver size really matters for good bass?

2) Also is this neodymium magnet is a must feature for good sound?

3) Which is a better option; get a natural sounding earphones and crank up the bass on the amp (and how well do they perform to the bass setting) OR get a bass-driven earphones and just play around with the treble setting?

Not exactly related to the earphones but just to have some idea on them;

4) How much of a sound difference and noise isolation when using something like Comply Foam tips or double/triple flange tip? Does it also help to reduce cable noise?

5) Also can you explain in simple on the several different type of complyfoam available and when should it be used *(optional)

Finally, can you suggest me something around $60 (I might be willing to stretch a little more if it is really worth it. Less is even better ;))

I'm so sorry if this is too much to ask. I really would like to learn more and not just be limited to whatever earphones I will end up buying. Thanks for taking the time to answer them. ^_^

For rock and it's derivatives, I personally enjoy more treble-friendly or at least somewhat neutral headphones. My $60 recommendation would be the Pioneer SE-A1000, or for IEMs the JBL J33 if you can find it at the right price.

1) Does driver size really matters for good bass?

2) Also is this neodymium magnet is a must feature for good sound?

3) Which is a better option; get a natural sounding earphones and crank up the bass on the amp (and how well do they perform to the bass setting) OR get a bass-driven earphones and just play around with the treble setting?

1) Bigger drivers makes it easier to produce bass, but bigger drivers does not directly correlate to more bass than a smaller driver headphone. It's all about how the manufacturer/designer tunes the driver, and there are MANY variables.

2) I'm pretty sure all headphones/earbuds/speakers will have a neodymium magnet, but if not, it doesn't really matter.

3) Depends on the headphone. Some EQ nicely, some do not.

For rock and it's derivatives, I personally enjoy more treble-friendly or at least somewhat neutral headphones. My $60 recommendation would be the Pioneer SE-A1000, or for IEMs the JBL J33 if you can find it at the right price.

1) Bigger drivers makes it easier to produce bass, but bigger drivers does not directly correlate to more bass than a smaller driver headphone. It's all about how the manufacturer/designer tunes the driver, and there are MANY variables.

2) I'm pretty sure all headphones/earbuds/speakers will have a neodymium magnet, but if not, it doesn't really matter.

3) Depends on the headphone. Some EQ nicely, some do not.

I may be wrong but I think he means IEM's not headphones

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I'm new to the whole audiophile environment, but I do think myself mildly knowledgeable on the subject.

Firstly, what mileage are the headphones going to get? Are they just going to be worn whilst travelling. or are they going to be a permanent audio solution?

Secondly, do you already own the FiiO, or is that going to be a secondary purchase? A lot of people new to audiophile equipment just pile up things they think are needed because they read it on the internet.

-- If the IEMs are only going to be a travel/short use solution, then in my opinion don't see a lot of benefit to be gained from lugging around a DAC/AMP to power a mediocre pair of IEMs.

Lastly, if I were to recommend a decent pair of IEMs for you, I would highly suggest the Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition. Like yourself, I did a lot of scouring on the internet for suggestions and the folks over at HeadFi can't praise these buds enough.

My experience of them has been phenomenal and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Whilst they are way below your price budget, the question must be asked if your personal situation calls for such a high pricepoint for a pair of IEMs.

Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition

I've been using these IEMs for about 5-6 months whilst travelling to and from college and whilst I can only offer my opinion, you might want to do some further digging on real audiophile enthusiast sites like HeadFi.

+ Pros

Clear and crisp highs

Strong mids (Easily able to distinguish intruments from each other)

Punchy and powerful bass without being muddy and overpowering

Large collection and variety of tips included

- Cons

Comfort -- At first it does take some time to adjust, but after that you won't notice they're there.

Additions:

These IEMs are designed to be worn over ear, so you might not be comfortable with that. Like this

In the first few weeks of wearing these, I found it hard to keep them in my ears without falling out. I learnt how to combat this and figured out how to properly insert them.

I found it quite hard to source these from a Vsonic certified retailer and had to get them shipped from Singapore to England.

Don't take my words as the start and finish, again these are just my opinions. If you need any more help or advice, I'm always lurking the forums.

- Dubz

Edit: I should add that I'm currently running my IEMs from a HTC One without a portable DAC/AMP and they're perfect for me.

I can't have an gif as my signature, so you can have this image.gif

ShearMe, on 18 Dec 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:ShearMe, on 18 Dec 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

-snip-

Thanks for the fast reply. So the first 2 questions are already answered and I shouldn't be worrying too much about that anymore. That J33 does look good with its flat cord. But JBL stuffs are quite hard to find here especially their IEM. I don't actually need bass heavy, just something that has clear bass for example listening to RHCP, not that boom boom kind of bass.

Dubz, on 18 Dec 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:Dubz, on 18 Dec 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

-snip-

Thanks for the extensive reply. I'll be using them more for travelling in the sense when I'm away from home, as sometimes I listen up to 7 hours or more of music a day (I'll be infront of the office computer most of the time doing CAD/3D btw), so IEM at office and travel for its sound isolation and portability.

I want that Fiio mainly for its DAC for my home PC's (paired with HD201), and also for its portability because my Lumia 620 have quite a low output power (need to max out the volume just to have decent sound on my HD201, but the built in equaliser is quite nice). So E07K kinda fits for both situations.

That IEM you suggested, physically it looks a lot like the Brainwavz Alpha, the IEM I'm currently using. :lol: Looks promising but I don't like over the ear because I wear glasses. I'm open to anything as long as it's within the budget and better than what I'm using now

I'm planning to buy it for my local Jaben store. Here is their online store. They might not have everything listed in there but I can always visit their physical store anyway for any stock enquiry.

I may be wrong but I think he means IEM's not headphones

Hence the IEM recommendation in addition to the headphones.  ;)

Thanks for the fast reply. So the first 2 questions are already answered and I shouldn't be worrying too much about that anymore. That J33 does look good with its flat cord. But JBL stuffs are quite hard to find here especially their IEM. I don't actually need bass heavy, just something that has clear bass for example listening to RHCP, not that boom boom kind of bass.

What about a Shure SE215? It has a removable cable to boot. Though, you haven't exactly stated a budget...

Edit: I'm dumb, you did suggest a budget.

ShearMe, on 18 Dec 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Hence the IEM recommendation in addition to the headphones.  ;)

What about a Shure SE215? It has a removable cable to boot. Though, you haven't exactly stated a budget...

Edit: I'm dumb, you did suggest a budget.

Yeah. Around $60 if possible. That is about MYR 200 here.

That IEM you suggested, physically it looks a lot like the Brainwavz Alpha, the IEM I'm currently using. :lol: Looks promising but I don't like over the ear because I wear glasses. I'm open to anything as long as it's within the budget and better than what I'm using now

A lot of IEMs share the same shell/housing. When I first got my Vsonics, a friend remarked how they looked like his Skull Candies -- which is dismissed quickly *shudder*.

Another potential winner for your search could be the SoundMagic E10. They're well within your budget and from all the reviews I have read, people can't get enough of them. Exceptional sound quality at an affordable price.

As for IEM positioning, I wasn't a fan of over ear buds because I wear glasses too, but its really not a problem I have encountered thus far. I doubt you'd even feel the cable compared to how tightly your glasses clamp to your head

Dubz, on 18 Dec 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

A lot of IEMs share the same shell/housing. When I first got my Vsonics, a friend remarked how they looked like his Skull Candies -- which is dismissed quickly *shudder*.

Another potential winner for your search could be the SoundMagic E10. They're well within your budget and from all the reviews I have read, people can't get enough of them. Exceptional sound quality at an affordable price.

As for IEM positioning, I wasn't a fan of over ear buds because I wear glasses too, but its really not a problem I have encountered thus far. I doubt you'd even feel the cable compared to how tightly your glasses clamp to your head

Yeah it does have quite good reviews on it. The only cons I can see from reading most of the reviews are the stiff cable and not so great built quality (little strain relieve on the cables exiting the earpiece) but given its price $38, they seem to be a really good value IEM. I might have a look at it more. It does grab my interest.

MEElectronics does make good cheap OEM stuff if you can find them in your area.

Yes they are readily available here. But their IEMs reviews are a bit hit and miss I'm looking at these IEMs, Soundmagic E10 & E30. I kinda like the look of PL50 but I'm not sure of the sound quality comparison between them. (Is it true they are the OEM for Beyerdynamic?)

Yes they are readily available here. But their IEMs reviews are a bit hit and miss I'm looking at these IEMs, Soundmagic E10 & E30. I kinda like the look of PL50 but I'm not sure of the sound quality comparison between them. (Is it true they are the OEM for Beyerdynamic?)

Yeah, I'd agree with a hit-and-miss. I've owned two of their IEMs and they're not terrible, but I've not owned many cheaper options tbh. I don't know about Beyerdynamic's OEM contracts so I'm not even gonna speculate on that.  :rolleyes:

I've owned two of their IEMs and they're not terrible, but I've not owned many cheaper options tbh.

I know that feel. My first pair of IEMs that I really took time to research, I believe were MEElectronic M9s (This was a long time ago). From what I remember, they were OK - but nothing to write home about. I found them to be quite flat and one bud stopped working after about a week of medium use from behind under my shirt to me ear. I think it might have just been a severed connection in the housing, but thats not to say it will follow suit for all MEElecs out there.

So I'm also looking into these; Brainwavz M4 & M5.

They also have quite good reviews on them. I honestly don't really understand all the technical audiophile jargons being described about these IEMs, and most of the other IEMs too, but in your opinion do you think they are good for rock music?

So I'm also looking into these; Brainwavz M4 & M5.

They also have quite good reviews on them. I honestly don't really understand all the technical audiophile jargons being described about these IEMs, and most of the other IEMs too, but in your opinion do you think they are good for rock music?

Well I know nothing about them. If the product pages are accurate, the M4 is tuned to favor vocals, and the M5 is tuned to be balanced - I'd go for the M4 if you want something Rock-friendly. Flat frequency responses are boring anyways.

I just got myself the E07K. Man I am really impressed with this small thing. It makes my cheap HD201 sound so much better. One word I can describe it is everything sound more 'spacious'. And it actually eliminates the hissing sound from my pc onboard sound. Now I know what's the fuss is all about with external dac.  :D I'm going to start preaching bout this to people from now on. LOL

Also today I went to Jaben shop/studio. Tested several IEMs there. One that caught my ears attention is the Hippo Pro One. It sounds very responsive to my phone EQ . @ShearMe do you have any knowledge of this brand and particular IEM? It was my first time experiencing a BA IEM (I don't even know what balance armature means :P). What are its pros & cons compare to dynamic driver?

They are having promotion now for $75 .SRP is $120. Bit more than I can afford to spend. Should I save up for it?

Balanced armature drivers are a piece of metal suspended in a magnetic field. They're generally just better in a lot of ways.

No experience with that brand, but if it's balanced armature I'd suspect they're not an off-the wall OEM. Saving up for a good IEM is better than settling for something low cost if you're any sort of audiophile. The 100ish dollar range is the sweet spot for stuff that sounds good and is durable as long as you hold out for the right sale.

ShearMe, on 21 Dec 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

Balanced armature drivers are a piece of metal suspended in a magnetic field. They're generally just better in a lot of ways.

No experience with that brand, but if it's balanced armature I'd suspect they're not an off-the wall OEM. Saving up for a good IEM is better than settling for something low cost if you're any sort of audiophile. The 100ish dollar range is the sweet spot for stuff that sounds good and is durable as long as you hold out for the right sale.

Thanks. If you say so, I think I will wait for another sale and have more time to save up for a more quality BA from something like Shure maybe. I'm no audiophile btw. Just a person who enjoys his collection of musics a lot. BA really changed my life. :P

I'm no audiophile btw. Just a person who enjoys his collection of musics a lot.

That is literally the definition of audiophile. :P

ShearMe, on 21 Dec 2013 - 4:11 PM, said:

That is literally the definition of audiophile. :P

But I lack the technical knowledge, high end gears and all that audio jargons audiophiles use..Haha :lol: . Maybe someday. Thank you for your help btw.