Router Battle

Zygizz

Hello xD

I thinking of reworking my network because am only using old hardware :/ 

So i was watching all sort of video about Ubiquiti Routers and two came up, usg gateway and edgerouter I don't really find any difference between this two routers. So i looking someone who could explain basic premise 

If anyone has any another Router solution am open to suggestions 

Thanks in advance :D

I would suggest Google, since atleast the "edgerouter" is a prosumer/professional router and as such I'd recon if you don't know what it is you don't really need it. USG Gateway seems like a buzzword that they're using for some type of technology, so neither of them are specific models and I think you need to do more research.

this is the one im currently using https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300/ (switched from a mikrotik a few months ago)

absolutely perfect, i can stream 4k to my tv from plex with no issues, and it can handle all my wired and wireless device (nowadays that almost everything has wifi the list is quite big). no need to restart daily or anything works wonderfully.

i get my full bandwidth wired or wireless 300/300

7074712186.png

Avoid EdgeRouter Lite if you plan on gaming or using VOIP, some unusual UDP issues with packets not being re-ordered correctly and creates some pretty unsual lag/warping. 

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

1 hour ago, Sack said:

I would suggest Google, since atleast the "edgerouter" is a prosumer/professional router and as such I'd recon if you don't know what it is you don't really need it. USG Gateway seems like a buzzword that they're using for some type of technology, so neither of them are specific models and I think you need to do more research.

Mostly to fool around I like tinkering with network stuff :D 

Edgerouter - standalone router / firewall. You connect to it using a web interface (or serial console cable) to set it up. Has more advanced features than the USG (Though UniFi is catching up fast)

USG - Router controller by UniFi controller. You control it via UniFi controller software (can be installed on PC, server, CloudKey, etc). Has silver color and pretty blue LED. Intrusion Detection is in beta.

You'll find that most of Ubiquiti's UniFi router line shares similar hardware to the Edgerouter series. 

If you want some firepower, check out the Edgerouter 4. 

10 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Edgerouter - standalone router / firewall. You connect to it using a web interface (or serial console cable) to set it up. Has more advanced features than the USG (Though UniFi is catching up fast)

USG - Router controller by UniFi controller. You control it via UniFi controller software (can be installed on PC, server, CloudKey, etc). Has silver color and pretty blue LED. Intrusion Detection is in beta.

You'll find that most of Ubiquiti's UniFi router line shares similar hardware to the Edgerouter series. 

If you want some firepower, check out the Edgerouter 4. 

My pocket can't afford edgerouter 4 :DD , I didn't knew Ubiquiti selling it 

6 minutes ago, Zygizz said:

My pocket can't afford edgerouter 4 :DD , I didn't knew Ubiquiti selling it 

Yeah, it's my goal to get one. 

The USG or Edgerouter Lite both work pretty well. Though if you want more advanced fun, probably lean towards the Edgerouter Lite.

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, it's my goal to get one. 

The USG or Edgerouter Lite both work pretty well. Though if you want more advanced fun, probably lean towards the Edgerouter Lite.

Mostly interested in site to site vpn and vpn to access network remotely ,  for now, am using raspberry pi for VPN access to my network :D 

9 minutes ago, Zygizz said:

Mostly interested in site to site vpn and vpn to access network remotely ,  for now, am using raspberry pi for VPN access to my network :D 

Ah, either will do VPN stuff. I still want to tinker with VPN stuff as well, but saving up first. haha 

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Ah, either will do VPN stuff. I still want to tinker with VPN stuff as well, but saving up first. haha 

On that hardware you going to run vpn ? , its router gonna support two vpn on same time :? 

6 minutes ago, Zygizz said:

On that hardware you going to run vpn ? , its router gonna support two vpn on same time :? 

Yes, that's the goal. You can have the Edgerouter directly connect to a VPN (in my case, Private Internet Access). 

I'm not sure if site to site can work at the same time (I don't have a need for site to site VPN...also too broke to get two edgerouters to try that)

For me its not mandatory but as i travel to university and staying away from my server and gaiming pc i would great too see same network , an my father needs VPN for watching camera in house his camera setup doesn't provide any apps only web interface :D