Can We Design a Case for LTT to Make?

43 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

It was never out the top, there would have been cable hides if using right angled cables. But I've gone for the design you chose. I have made the rear square, not tapered, to simplify the build. Fitting he drives in is hard. :P I have 3 2 4 ssds and 1 hhd so far.

Sounds good to me, now we just get linus to build it

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Oh no! I just realised, the whole point was putting the GPU there for air cooling. Oh well. If It's liquid cooled, it can go there.

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Oh no! I just realised, the whole point was putting the GPU there for air cooling. Oh well. If It's liquid cooled, it can go there.

exactly!

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

exactly!

I don't like you anymore. ;)

How can they show off cool GPUs if the cover/heatsink is removed! ;)

9 hours ago, TechyBen said:

I don't like you anymore. ;)

How can they show off cool GPUs if the cover/heatsink is removed! ;)

Waterblocks can be sexy too!

How big is that radiator?  A 140 Monsta will be adequate but can't go with thinner than 60mm or so.  Also is there a reason the mobo is at an angle?

If the loop was planned perfectly it could be possible to have the GPU at the same height as the mobo and would make the whole thing a lot shorter.  Similar set up to how the GPU was positioned above the mobo in Dale the sleeper.  Then it might also be possible to have a shorter res above them horizontally - offereing even more height savings.

Is the orange at the top the psu?  Or is it going to use an external PSU?

I think what's there so far is pretty awesome - hopefully we can work out something that is dank x100

[edit] I just realised I looked at the wrong sleeper PC. Yes, doing Dale will also work at making the design fit. Both options will do. ;)

Thanks so much for the feedback. You sir are a genius! That brings it to 57cm tall! I am applying the idea to the design, and will do an entire "do over" if requested. ;)

I miss out on showcasing all the components, but doing so in a small space is going to be hard. One option would be to make the side panels translucent, so you can still see the GPU and watercooling block.

A standard GPU mounted in the motherboard can be done, if slimming down with a water cooling block, pipes running "up" towards the centre of the motherboard. I wanted to show off both the motherboard CPU plate and the GPU plate. So if side mounting, we could do it like this with translucent panels:

smaller.jpg.d54d98472b2130f7df0ef2be75560605.jpg

*And* fit a 180cm radiator instead of 140. :) PSU mounted at the top, all cables go out the top (I have a Silverstone Fortress Mini at the moment, similar design), but would be cable managed back to where we want them. Still... iterations, iterations, iterations.

So reworked the positioning a bit, sizes etc. I can only fit a 150cm reservoir currently. Top mounted GPU/Motherboard access, side trunk planned for cable/HDMI/wired networking access. Top drive bay/lid separates off for ease of access, currently only 1 3.5 HDD drive and 2 SSDs in that bay.

I've worked a bit on some ideas on how to assemble. Using notches and tabs to add strength, possibly glue into position. Where there is more space, I can add screw holes to give more strength (around GPU/motherboard/PSU and radiator mounts).

tiding.jpg.a11fb57edbdeda5a85315464a61ce39f.jpg

Just to check, does the laser cutter do 5mm, 4mm or 3mm plastic?

On a side note, I just picked up the old half sphere shaped iMac to see what size that case was... wow, that's tiny!

22 hours ago, TechyBen said:

So reworked the positioning a bit, sizes etc. I can only fit a 150cm reservoir currently. Top mounted GPU/Motherboard access, side trunk planned for cable/HDMI/wired networking access. Top drive bay/lid separates off for ease of access, currently only 1 3.5 HDD drive and 2 SSDs in that bay.

I've worked a bit on some ideas on how to assemble. Using notches and tabs to add strength, possibly glue into position. Where there is more space, I can add screw holes to give more strength (around GPU/motherboard/PSU and radiator mounts).

tiding.jpg.a11fb57edbdeda5a85315464a61ce39f.jpg

Just to check, does the laser cutter do 5mm, 4mm or 3mm plastic?

On a side note, I just picked up the old half sphere shaped iMac to see what size that case was... wow, that's tiny!

Looks great and I see what you mean with the cable management not just coming up from the top, being able to be routed back

A little bit more tweaking. Positioning now rather close to what it will be... providing the water loop is actually possible. :S

I found space for 2 more SSDs, but only 1 3.5 drive, those are just too big unless it gets put right above the motherboard/ram.

buildingbrickbybrick.jpg.f37adcded9e609a65a59a20a6a8ab769.jpg

It is possible to mount the GPU "above" the motherboard, as in Dale The Sleeper PC. But that would limit the size of the ramsticks, and you would not be able to see them if they were... RGB. However, once the design is done, I am planning on an alternate orientation, to allow for that (moving the PSU and possibly HDD to match). Also, this current arrangement would allow full air cooling (grills on side of case :P ) if needed, as it's basically the same as the Silverstone Fortress Mini layout... and I have that on air quite nicely, with the exception of the side panel slowing airflow. So the plan is to have a large enough side vent for the card put in. We could have the side vents custom cut to the exact GPU model used, if doing air cooling.

I may have to make the case a little deeper for clearance on the GPU water block. As an example, the Vega water block, would be around this shape/size.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-is-releasing-full-cover-amd-radeon-vega-water-blocks/

EK-FC_Radeon_Vega_NP_FrontPCB.jpg

How wide is that? What distance from the edge of the GPU bracket?

Adding hopefully enough room for it, would allow one or two orientations for the PSU. Which would you lot prefer? I ask, because it would effect how the piping goes around for the water cooling. Both designs keep most the hardware above the watery bits. ;)

Reservoir on display? Yes or no?

strawpoll.jpg.9dfed3e2b7dc8a3a985ea1741fd9dd47.jpg

3 hours ago, TechyBen said:

I may have to make the case a little deeper for clearance on the GPU water block. As an example, the Vega water block, would be around this shape/size.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-is-releasing-full-cover-amd-radeon-vega-water-blocks/

EK-FC_Radeon_Vega_NP_FrontPCB.jpg

How wide is that? What distance from the edge of the GPU bracket?

Adding hopefully enough room for it, would allow one or two orientations for the PSU. Which would you lot prefer? I ask, because it would effect how the piping goes around for the water cooling. Both designs keep most the hardware above the watery bits. ;)

Reservoir on display? Yes or no?

strawpoll.jpg.9dfed3e2b7dc8a3a985ea1741fd9dd47.jpg

i wouldn't worry about the reservoir being on display, the case design is where the aesthetic is, you don't need to see inside with this case

OK. I will aim to run the vents out the back then. Option for transparent panels (but not needed). And possibly the second 3.5HDD bay then (though again, optional as it depends on the height of the RAM).

Basically, as they have a laser cutter, if I can, I will make it as easy as possible to swap out parts/upgrade/iterate. ;)

On 2/20/2018 at 9:00 PM, TechyBen said:

Or something totally different? (Cookie for anyone to guess what it is, no it's not No Mans Sky!)

Reveal hidden content

a more modern HAL 9000...

also can we have socks and sandles somewhere on the case? just to impress Linus? :D

please?

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

I'll see if I can hide some stencils in there.

Yes, it's made to look like an AI/obelisk. But was inspired by one of the fan shrouds to one of the first LTT video GPU reviews (I was not around watching back then).

how about a cube atx case with a plastic window? (basically a test bench with windows)

ATX_cube.png

Spoiler

ATX_cube2.pngATX_cube3.pngATX_cube1.png

That could be a good idea. I'll take this current design to the end first though. Then see if the team wish to do one, or have a vote on multiple designs?

A small update as not had much time to work on the panels this weekend. Some little detains added to where the HDD mounts will clip in, motherboard (not visible in pic) and sides. I don't have a cutter to test if such clips will or will not work. But the idea is at least to add some strength over glue alone as they overlap some edges where panels will push against each other.

clippy.jpg.7517ac137bc5bc8ca4f41de2e4204e0b.jpg

Really just the screw holes for mounting fans/HDDs now.

Slot together and glue design. If screws to be used in construction, then I think they will have to be drilled by hand. As I've not really any clue as to where is best to put those. But I can measure up component fittings, and just have yet to find fan mounting diagrams.

anyone know where I can get those? Google has loads for motherboards/HDDs/etc but nothing for fans (as too broad a search term).

Ok, almost finished. :)

Can someone help me sanity check my measurements? Such as:

1) I've assumed motherboard standoffs of 6mm. Is this enough for those motherboards with rear M2 slots? Or am I going to have to go to 9mm+?

2) Motherboard backplate and GPU backplate. I've got as close as I can with measuring my own rig, and measurements available on Google. I may search Sketchup Warehouse for a pre-built option...

This is the "no garuntee, provided as is" design, minus any vent/fan cutouts. I'll add custom LTT ones soon. :)

Sketchup needed to open. Will make STL files etc if anyone wants.

LTTForumCaseAlpha.skp