GL502VS - Screen Replacement

Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,
9 minutes ago, Atreyix said:

Just looked them up, The model I'm wanting to go with does not have that many specs.. no signal interface. Model #: B156HAN04.3

OEM screen that I have is LP156WF6-SPB6

Interesting that the one you plan to get shows 60hz on there. You sure its the exact same model? I've seen complete changes between revisions on some of the panels I've dealt with.

Personally I'd buy the 120hz one and if it doesn't work, return it

Hey all,

So to first put, I bought a Refurb Supposedly a GL502VS-DB71 .. Not even sure if it's that actual model, as the DB71 is skylake and I have a 7700hq. Thinking it is actually a GL502VS-WS71.

Anyways... I accidentally busted the screen. It was a 60hz IPS Gsync screen. Took the screen out and found the model number, however I was curious since there is a different variant of the GL502vs laptop like mine with a 120hz if I could order that and that would work in this laptop...  Anyone have a clue? 

As long as they have the same connector they should work in theory. 

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

If you're replacing the screen with a higher resolution or refresh rate, 99% of the time you'll need a higher model's ribbon cable going to the screen with more data channels.

This is why 1366x768 was such a common resolution, you'd need double the data channels to go higher (before they changed the data protocol from LVDS to eDP around the intel 4th gen era)

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

If you're replacing the screen with a higher resolution or refresh rate, 99% of the time you'll need a higher model's ribbon cable going to the screen with more data channels.

This is why 1366x768 was such a common resolution, you'd need double the data channels to go higher (before they changed the data protocol from LVDS to eDP around the intel 4th gen era)

Ahhh I see. Then I guess it'll be the same model that I will be ordering. Thanks for that.

Side note: I did find a forum post on the asus forums about this just now... The stock display he was using is the same as mine.. he replaced it with the 120hz and it works except he does not have G-sync..  Hmm.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94354-May-i-know-your-GL502VS-DS71-120hz-screen-part-number-Trying-to-upgrade-60hz-to-120h

I should add that Panelook is a fantastic database for LCD specs.

Here is the spec page for the LCD in my TV at home.

5a8a32509a5f7_Photoediting_Cloud20180218.thumb.jpg.44aeee8b1519cb0f75560609da31c1cb.jpg

The green highlight is what you really want to look for on both the old and new panels.

Got models for them?

33 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I should add that Panelook is a fantastic database for LCD specs.

Here is the spec page for the LCD in my TV at home.

5a8a32509a5f7_Photoediting_Cloud20180218.thumb.jpg.44aeee8b1519cb0f75560609da31c1cb.jpg

The green highlight is what you really want to look for on both the old and new panels.

Got models for them?

Just looked them up, The model I'm wanting to go with does not have that many specs.. no signal interface. Model #: B156HAN04.3

9 minutes ago, Atreyix said:

Interesting that the one you plan to get shows 60hz on there. You sure its the exact same model? I've seen complete changes between revisions on some of the panels I've dealt with.

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yep pretty sure. 

Just found another thread buried in another forum...
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/changing-the-asus-rog-strix-gl502vs-db71-to-a-15-6-120hz-panel.804163/
They're saying its 120hz and it is working(except for g-sync). I'll give it a go, I'll keep Panelook bookmarked. Thanks!!