[Query] X399 Raid 1 Initialization & data

Archon42

Hello,

I need some advice concerning RAID1 on AMD X399 using AMD RaidXpert2.

I had 2 6TB drives with about 20% and 30% usage and wanted to combine them into a single RAID1 array whiel retaining my data. I used Create array on RaidExpert2 and checked the box to preserve my data. Creation finally finished after almost 12hrs, but now my drive does not show in My PC and it tells me to initialize when I open Disk Management. My query is twofold; (a) will initializing my new 6TB array delete the data? and (b) should I initialize using windows Disk Management or RaidExpert2?

Thank you for reading. :-)

idk how they are doing this but making a raid almost always elets all data.

just make a raid 1 and restore backups.

also dont use motherbard raid, it sucks. use storage spaces in windows. it more flexable, faster, easier to migrate, and can keep your data safer.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

also dont use motherbard raid, it sucks. use storage spaces in windows. it more flexable, faster, easier to migrate, and can keep your data safer.

By 'use storage spaces in windows', do you mean software raid?

2 minutes ago, Archon42 said:

By 'use storage spaces in windows', do you mean software raid?

Yep, software raid is a better option here.

What os are you using?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep, software raid is a better option here.

What os are you using?

Using Windows 10 64bit. I actually tried software raid on my X399 Asrock board first, but for some reason the whole system kep crashing and when I booted back, I found the software raid was lost every time. Tried using with regular AHCI mode and RAID mode setting in BIOS (if that even mattered).

Just now, Archon42 said:

Using Windows 10 64bit. I actually tried software raid on my X399 Asrock board first, but for some reason the whole system kep crashing and when I booted back, I found the software raid was lost every time. Tried using with regular AHCI mode and RAID mode setting in BIOS (if that even mattered).

What did you use for software raid? You want to use storage spaces here, not the raid in disk management. Turn off raid mode in the bios.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What did you use for software raid? You want to use storage spaces here, not the raid in disk management. Turn off raid mode in the bios.

Ah, maybe that's it! Used Disk Management.

Eight now though, I am trying to recover my files from the raid attempt. Thanks for the info! :-)

Just now, Archon42 said:

Ah, maybe that's it! Used Disk Management.

Eight now though, I am trying to recover my files from the raid attempt. Thanks for the info! :-)

Just restore files from your backup, you probably lost most of them in this conversion.