Absolutely Insane ASUS RMA Story (Edit:Misunderstanding)

Liquid_Static
3 minutes ago, Liquid_Static said:

If it makes you feel better Apple was absolutely wonderful about repairing the speakers in my 2016 MacBook Pro.

They are really lovely. I got my keyboard replaced for free recently as well.

Also broke my iPhone recently, new one with a trade-in only cost me 465 AUD, considering its the 256GB model I was pretty stoked, had it all ready in an hour as well.

Apple isn't as big as these other companies though, and especially this one from ASUS sickens me. Certianly sticking to Apple for a while.

1 hour ago, Unimaginative Name said:

When the BBB and then your state attorney general gets involved, they'll have to care. Like I said, it's worked for me before. Also just threatening legal action is usually enough to get the point across.

Storytime: I built a computer for my grandparents last year. They didn't have prime, so we used my Amazon account. I used their credit card (with their permission, it was their computer). M grandmother didn't recognize the charges and had them reversed. We still got the parts because 1) prime and 2) the card company only cancels the charge, not the order. Then Amazon contacts me saying that the charges have been disputed. I told my grandmother and she contacted her card company and had them reverse the cancel. I had Amazon furiously requesting over $800 from me even though I sent them proof of payment via an itemized credit card statement that showed the original purchase, the canceled payment, and the reversal of the canceled payment. Still, they hounded mine for money that was already paid. I had my account locked for over a month. In one email I said that I had sent proof of payment and that any more requests for money would be met with legal action via the state attorney general. In about an hour, I got my account back, a $15 credit, and a month of free prime (to offset time lost). They basically admitted that they were in the wrong. Just stick to your guns, don't admit anything (like it may have been damaged in shipping), save all communications, be as specific as possible, and furnish as much proof as possible. Ultimately, consumer protection laws are in place for a reason, but most people do not know how to take advantage of them when it's needed.

I really appreciate the advice here, unfortunately I just do not have the time to truly pursue legal action. I'm a medical student and spend more hours studying each week then most people spend awake. Honestly I just want ASUS to make good on their warranty and not act like a shitty company.

10 minutes ago, Liquid_Static said:

I really appreciate the advice here, unfortunately I just do not have the time to truly pursue legal action. I'm a medical student and spend more hours studying each week then most people spend awake. Honestly I just want ASUS to make good on their warranty and not act like a shitty company.

It's not legal action, but the threat thereof. I understand as I am an engineering student. Unless you take action, nothing will change. You need to start with Asus, basically say that there is proof that the damage could not have been caused in shipping and left my (your) possession with an undamaged socket. The damage must've been caused by Asus in an attempt to avoid honoring the RMA. Threaten to contact your state attorney general and file a BBB complaint if the matter is not resolved to YOUR satisfaction. If they fail, go to the BBB and your state's attorney general. That's where your part essentially ends apart from answering questions. They'll pursue it further for you. It's probably an hour or two to file the BBB complaint and letter to our attorney general's office. Until that point, it's a 15-minute email to/from Asus when you get a reply. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

This is really disappointing to hear about Asus.  I've only EVER purchased Asus boards over the years and luckily I've never had an issue with one that required an RMA (my P67 Sabertooth is finally starting to die but its also 7 years old now).  I can't understand what Asus stands to gain by actively sabotaging your board to deny RMA (one freaking mobo is nothing to a company the size of Asus) and to me it seems much more damaging to them for you to go around posting this horrible experience on forums and stuff, rather than just replacing the board.

Obviously I'm just taking you at your word and assuming that Asus really did damage your socket just to deny RMA but I don't know that for a fact.  I assume you wouldn't be so passionately posting your experience here if you had actually damaged the board yourself and were just trying to rip off Asus, but I guess there are people out there that would do such a thing.  I imagine those kinds of people are not common though, and for any company to immediately assume their own customers are all a bunch of thieves and liars is wrong.

You should definitely try to find an Asus rep here on this forum or over on some other ones (OCN has a lot of active company reps who will take care of members who PM them).  The second Asus believes your story will be bad publicity for them they will definitely take action.  You just gotta make them realize that taking care of you now is much less damaging to their brand than having you posting horror stories about their customer service all over the internet.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

I've worked with Intel, Powercolor, and XFX on RMAs within the past couple of years and all were fantastic. 

I've heard terrible things about all of them at some point.  Sometimes it's bad luck with who works your claim.  You will always hear a horror story for every 20 that go smooth.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

7 hours ago, Liquid_Static said:

I'm in the USA, and yes, apparently there isn't much I can do beyond filing a BBB complaint and calling them out on social media/forums. I appreciate the gesture, I wasn't kidding when I said I will never be using another Asus product. I simply will not support a company that actually defrauded me.

go to the PCGaming reddit as well as BuildAPC and post about it, see what/if a mod has to say and everything. i believe JJ is still very active on BuildAPC

My friends ASUS x99 board died on him earlier last year and it took his CPU with it. ASUS didn't hold up to their warranty on the board popping a mosfet and killing a 5820 and the board. He went through 3 months of shit back and forth and ultimately went to intel and got a new CPU in 2 weeks, lit his board on fire, then went and bought an EVGA board. And that was a guy that swore up and down by ASUS for years, running a crosshair 5 formula since the 6100 came out. Outside of the used market where im not worried about $50 on a motherboard dieing since I know I can make my money back off the build im doing if the board is shit I have been staying away from asus for my own builds. Last board I used for myself was my asus p5q that I got for $20.

7 hours ago, Liquid_Static said:

I'm in the USA, and yes, apparently there isn't much I can do beyond filing a BBB complaint and calling them out on social media/forums. I appreciate the gesture, I wasn't kidding when I said I will never be using another Asus product. I simply will not support a company that actually defrauded me.

Be careful when complaining about a company in public, be absolutely truthful in case they try to hit you for something like libel.

I like ASUS products, I hate their customer support and RMA process.  I think Gigabyte products are fine, but I would rather remove some of my own organs without anesthesia than go through their customer support or RMA process based on past experience.  ASRock's been great though, which is surprising since they spun off from ASUS. EVGA is just great all around.

Gigabyte has done the same thing to me... ended up paying like the 50-70 bucks for it.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

On 2/17/2018 at 6:37 PM, Liquid_Static said:
So, I tried to RMA an X99-WS E motherboard with Asus a few weeks ago. The board just stopped booting one day, code 00. I submitted the RMA, packed the board in it's original box (which was put in another box) with socket cover installed. I even took photos of the board while packing it (for shipping insurance purposes). Here are said photos.

My RMA was subsequently denied for "Customer Induced Damage" of which they sent me photos. The tech that got ahold of my board actually BENT A FEW PINS. They claimed they would fix my board for $154. I keep everything I own immaculate and was incredibly surprised by this claim. ASUS shipped the board back to me, which showed up earlier this week. This is the board when I got it back (without a socket cover, might I add).

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had heard the ASUS horror stories over the years, but I had not ever had to RMA a board with them. Now that I have, what an absolute joke! I have never dealt with such an unprofessional company. I have RMA'd with EVGA and Gigabyte in the past with no issues (let alone anything like this).

I went and contacted there corporate care team. I spoke for about 30 minutes with a rep (who was actually quite nice) who promised he would get the issue sorted out for me after I sent the photos I had taken. As requested, I sent the photos and waited. Yesterday I got an email from what I presume is the rep's manager saying my "request for free repair" had been denied and that if I wanted my motherboard fixed I should have paid the fee they requested.

I have no idea what recourse I can take. If anyone has any advice I'd gladly take it. It's essentially my word vs. theirs. I'm sure plenty of people have successfully RMA'd through ASUS - I just got screwed here. Unfortunately I'm the one out a couple hundred dollars looking for a new X99 motherboard. Needless to say I'm incredibly upset with ASUS and will NEVER be purchasing or recommending another product from them.

EDIT: Apparently a misunderstanding, will be getting resolved.

Regarding your edit, I am really happy they are resolving this issue for you!  

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res