Should I Do A TEFL Course To Teach English Abroad?

Lazmarr

I've been away from the forums for quite some time, popping in once in a while.

Granted, the question is pretty off topic, but I would like some opinions.

I'm looking at undertaking a TEFL course so that I may teach English abroad in Asia. However I don't know if I should or not.

It's a pretty big decision and I literally have today to decide. The course costs £250 and gets me certified as being able to Teach English as a Foreign Language.

I'm just having conflicting thoughts about it since I will have to leave most of my things behind; and if I manage to secure a job but I find I'm absolutely terrible and they hate me then it's kind of a waste. I'd have to learn the language whilst I'm there so there's that too; although I have read that that's not so much of an issue as I would be an assistant English teacher.

I'd also have to make new friends as well, which would likely be difficult :/

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

lol those TEFL are low bottom jobs, I know people who actually have teaching degrees and they get paid more

Depends if you want to live in Asia or not. The chap who is Abroad in Japan went there as an English teaching assistant. His early videos cover it a fair bit and should give you an idea what you're getting into, especially if you want to go to Japan.

You will have to put in a lot of time learning the language, it will be a lot more difficult than picking up another European language. If you're not a great linguist, and like me struggle to learn French, probably not the right move for you. But otherwise a good way to get a language on your CV (resume for Americans) that few other have.