Dismantled Cleaned Rig - No Output on Monitor

Ae0lus

So I had a dodgy fan on my Kraken X61 radiator, which was sounding very beat-up and sluggish.

One day last week I got the "CPU fan speed error". I dismantled parts of the PC and purchased some compressed canned air to clean out the rig. Turns out the other fan on the radiator, was never plugged in as I could never find an additional socket. So I swapped them over and voila the fan was spinning again.

But, I had a problem... the screen was not responding with no output once I had loaded everything back-up. Now I'm concerned that I placed the canned air too close to the GFX card and introduced humidity.

I want to run through a check-list if possible of troubleshooting, of what some experts would do, in order to clarify the issue. It might even be something very simple, but want to understand the best way to trouble-shoot so that I'm not stabbing in the dark.

Failing that, do I have a leg to stand on with any kind of warranty with the graphics card? It was purchased 17 March, 2016.

Also, I don't have a speaker hooked-up to my desktop, so unsure of how I can hear the POST beeps.

My rig build is as per below:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£198.32 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£107.33 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£121.63 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£59.14 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£110.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£41.76 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  (£268.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£92.33 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£99.98 @ Novatech) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full (32/64-bit)  (£29.99) 
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  (£219.98 @ Amazon UK) 

11 minutes ago, ...... said:

if you removed the ram you might want to try reseating it can sometimes cause boot issues

I haven't removed the RAM. But, might of been unseated with movement - will check this.

I mean please let the suggestions keep coming. As I'll most likely run through them all after work today.

First thing I would do is to try to boot without the graphic card. Use the video out from your motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

2 hours ago, Ae0lus said:

I haven't removed the RAM. But, might of been unseated with movement - will check this.

I mean please let the suggestions keep coming. As I'll most likely run through them all after work today.

You probably just need to reseat the graphics card.

Take it out and put it back in, but make sure it snaps in all of the way.

Sometimes they can look like they're all the way in when they're not.

Don't push too hard though of course. 

Oh, and make sure you plugged the PCIe cables back into it and make sure they're still plugged into the power supply.

I really doubt that the can of air harmed anything though.

Even if some humidity got to it, you likely didn't start it right away so it had time to evaporate.

3 hours ago, knob simgint said:

If you oc the graphics card you can forget the warranty

No it's not oc at all.

Thanks people, I'll give these attempts a go. But, I'm grateful that it doesn't sound as drastic -fingers crossed-

4 hours ago, knob simgint said:

If you oc the graphics card you can forget the warranty

It's much more complicated than that:

From what I've gathered on the subject, it doesn't void the warranty as long as you don't modify the card's bios by flashing it.

If it's within software such as MSI afterburner or Asus GPU Tweek II, you're not voiding the warranty.

It wouldn't matter anyways.

Just don't tell them you overclocked it when doing an RMA just in case and they'd never know anyways :P 

I actually did tell Asus that I overclocked my strix the last time I had an issue with it and they were willing to RMA it. I didn't end up doing it because I solved the problem on my end, but overclocking it didn't seem to be a problem for them.

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

It's much more complicated than that:

From what I've gathered on the subject, it doesn't void the warranty as long as you don't modify the card's bios by flashing it.

If it's within software such as MSI afterburner or Asus GPU Tweek II, you're not voiding the warranty.

It wouldn't matter anyways.

Just don't tell them you overclocked it when doing an RMA just in case and they'd never know anyways :P 

I actually did tell Asus that I overclocked my strix the last time I had an issue with it and they were willing to RMA it. I didn't end up doing it because I solved the problem on my end, but overclocking it didn't seem to be a problem for them.

Good to know, how long are warranty usually for graphics cards?

9 minutes ago, Ae0lus said:

Good to know, how long are warranty usually for graphics cards?

It depends on your card. Usually, there's a little card in the box telling you how long the warranty is. 3-5 years though on average I'd say.