CableMod cables do not fit

NMS
Go to solution Solved by CableMod,

@NMS no need for any work on your end, if the wrong connectors were used that's an error on our behalf and we fix it for you.

Hello everyone.

So I finally got my cables from CableMod and I've run into a snag. I went with the extended kit for $100 or so. The PSU that I have is a Corsair RM650X and yes the cables are on the compatability list, however the PCI-E cables (all of them) have incorrect pins on the PSU end, so I am unable to plug them in.

In the photo down below, the custom cables are on the right and Corsair stock cables are on the left.

Spoiler

15186306588741270859366.jpg.8cd88bf6a86876f6d6e4c39c74c0644b.thumb.jpg.c4cebe1cfb973fba93866c69ffa58ffe.jpg

1518630826053-1505605498.jpg.15299f18d84ea47625ff7b41a6a067b2.thumb.jpg.a7daa16b6e3c4c96b7c928c8421d066f.jpg

As you can see the cables from CableMod are different. Specifically the two top-right notches. They simply cannot go into the PSU. And yes I DID contact CableMod here on the forum regarding this, but since I live in EU, the comunication is taking some time so I need a second opinion. And while I do understand that there could have been a manufacturing error, which it probably is, since there's no way ANY PSU has clearing for a plastic bridge connecting the two notches, I have a different question for you all.

You might also notice that the pins themselves do not correspondent with the pins from the original. I.e. the bottom right pin is present where on the original it is missing. Of course this can be a ground wire and not a big problem since the cable set is supposed to work for most of the PSUs out there. But just to be safe, IT'S OK, right?

And so this brings me to the last can I just swap the plastic housings between the cables, KEEPING the original orientation and alignment from CableMod? With those extra pin/s?

P.S. I do not want to send this back as the shipping alone both ways will be too much.

@NMS this is normal as per the PCI-E connectors - it is abnormal that it isn't slotting in for you though so please email Support@CableMod.com and we can verify everything with you and provide support directly.

pcieconnection.jpg

4 minutes ago, CableMod said:

@NMS this is normal as per the PCI-E connectors - it is abnormal that it isn't slotting in for you though so please email Support@CableMod.com and we can verify everything with you and provide support directly.

pcieconnection.jpg

Twice:P Let's just keep the discussion here then.

The GPU end plugs in, it's the PSU end that I have problems with. My PSU, as seen above, does not have that clearing for the connector.

@NMS sorry that was an oversight on my part - please email our support team and we will help get that taken care of for you hassle free.

12 minutes ago, CableMod said:

@NMS sorry that was an oversight on my part - please email our support team and we will help get that taken care of for you hassle free.

I'll double-check everything before sending email once I am home from work.

The extra populated pin is fine.  On the PSU itself, all four pins on the bottom are energized with +12V and all four top pins are ground.  

But if the plastic housing uses a square shape instead of a "D" shape, then the connector won't go in.

You can put "D" shape inside square shape, however.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

The extra populated pin is fine.  On the PSU itself, all four pins on the bottom are energized with +12V and all four top pins are ground.  

But if the plastic housing uses a square shape instead of a "D" shape, then the connector won't go in.

@CableMod, yeah I sent an email. There's just no way of plugging PCI-E cable into the PSU without cutting that bridge and somehow rounding up one of the square pins. But even then, I'm afraid of plugging it in because if that was overlooked so might have something else been.

And no, I am not plugging them in the other direction because every other end here is a 6+2 while those mismatched are just an 8.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Well it's good to know that the voltage is fine. So if anything, I'll just try to find the tools somewhere to swap the pins.

@NMS no need for any work on your end, if the wrong connectors were used that's an error on our behalf and we fix it for you.

23 hours ago, CableMod said:

you guys should looking into improving your Q&A a bit. Seem few more issues then normal as of recently with some of products coming out of your store. Maybe someone on the production lining is not paying close enough attention when review the product before shipping it out. Of course there going be a issue from time to time due to human error.

----

On 2/15/2018 at 3:18 AM, NMS said:

Hello everyone.

So I finally got my cables from CableMod and I've run into a snag. I went with the extended kit for $100 or so. The PSU that I have is a Corsair RM650X and yes the cables are on the compatability list, however the PCI-E cables (all of them) have incorrect pins on the PSU end, so I am unable to plug them in.

In the photo down below, the custom cables are on the right and Corsair stock cables are on the left.

Reveal hidden contents

15186306588741270859366.jpg.8cd88bf6a86876f6d6e4c39c74c0644b.thumb.jpg.c4cebe1cfb973fba93866c69ffa58ffe.jpg

1518630826053-1505605498.jpg.15299f18d84ea47625ff7b41a6a067b2.thumb.jpg.a7daa16b6e3c4c96b7c928c8421d066f.jpg

As you can see the cables from CableMod are different. Specifically the two top-right notches. They simply cannot go into the PSU. And yes I DID contact CableMod here on the forum regarding this, but since I live in EU, the comunication is taking some time so I need a second opinion. And while I do understand that there could have been a manufacturing error, which it probably is, since there's no way ANY PSU has clearing for a plastic bridge connecting the two notches, I have a different question for you all.

You might also notice that the pins themselves do not correspondent with the pins from the original. I.e. the bottom right pin is present where on the original it is missing. Of course this can be a ground wire and not a big problem since the cable set is supposed to work for most of the PSUs out there. But just to be safe, IT'S OK, right?

And so this brings me to the last can I just swap the plastic housings between the cables, KEEPING the original orientation and alignment from CableMod? With those extra pin/s?

P.S. I do not want to send this back as the shipping alone both ways will be too much.

One is EPS I believe photo bit blurry to get a close enough look. The connectors can be replaced easily, just need to grab PCie/VGA/GPU connector from any sleeving shop like Mod-One.com or Ensourced.net (I favor Ensourced.net connectors since there higher grade). I dislike HWT connectors due to cheap quality, I would avoid that brand if you can.

CableMod is good at correcting the problem if they sent you the wrong item even months or years later.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

@Revan654 it's impossible to have exactly 0% RMA rate - however we are below 1% on RMA's like this, it's actually very rare, however since we do have so many sales, you may see issues like this occasionally. It isn't what we want to see, but we of course always fix it as quickly as possible.

19 hours ago, Revan654 said:

you guys should looking into improving your Q&A a bit. Seem few more issues then normal as of recently with some of products coming out of your store. Maybe someone on the production lining is not paying close enough attention when review the product before shipping it out. Of course there going be a issue from time to time due to human error.

----

One is EPS I believe photo bit blurry to get a close enough look. The connectors can be replaced easily, just need to grab PCie/VGA/GPU connector from any sleeving shop like Mod-One.com or Ensourced.net (I favor Ensourced.net connectors since there higher grade). I dislike HWT connectors due to cheap quality, I would avoid that brand if you can.

CableMod is good at correcting the problem if they sent you the wrong item even months or years later.

I actually would very much like to try and do this myself, but I cannot find the required instrument (whatever it is called) to remove the pins from the caps here in Greece. I tried using two needles but that didn't work.

I'll get the tool from eBay once I get a chance though. Learning something new is always good.

Anyway, problem was solved.

@CableMod have offered to send the replacements for those particular cables.

Thanks to all who responded!

5 hours ago, NMS said:

I actually would very much like to try and do this myself, but I cannot find the required instrument (whatever it is called) to remove the pins from the caps here in Greece. I tried using two needles but that didn't work.

I'll get the tool from eBay once I get a chance though. Learning something new is always good.

You need staples, needles don't really work.

Do not use 3rd party tools, they tend to not work, Damage the terminal & Connector or you will struggle to get it to work. I suggest only using the official tool for terminal extraction made by Molex.

You can buy the tool from the following place.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/11-03-0044?qs=%2fha2pyFaduilNHMC564LRU3%2fla3tDwRTxVkDOo4ce74%3d

Mouser has a warehouse in just about ever region in the world.

Molex Product Page: https://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0011030044_APPLICATION_TOOLIN.xml&channel=Products

There a Distro Checker on the site to see if any place around you carries it.

If not just put in 11-03-0044 into google and see what stores shows up. If all that fails MDPC-X ships world wide and they carry the tool.

https://www.cable-sleeving.com/cable-sleeving-tools

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon