LAN.exe - The planning, and the playing

megadarkwood

I am going to host a LAN party that I am calling LAN.exe on Saturday, this thread will be my little "Journal" and you can read it and use it to help you host your own LAN party! :D

DAY 1:

The planning:

So, today I did my planning. I had to work out the things I needed and the things I needed to do. I worked out that I wanted to have at least 6 people come and have a few tournaments. This means that I would need 6 chairs and 2 desks, which I had already. I also needed a location to put these people, I picked my newly redone basement. 

Also, a switch is almost always required. I have a 8 switch gigabit one lying around so I will be using that one :D

I have talked to my dad and he said that 6 laptops will be fine in the basement, the heat will be a bit cray-cray though. Since I live in Canada and we already have over 2feet of snow, I don't think that heat will be a problem. :P

Another thing that I needed were prizes and some software to actually set up the tournaments. I went out to Canada Computers and bought 3 random little things for under $10:

LKI50GW.jpg

To set up the tournaments, I used a free online site called "challonge": challonge.com/

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Aint first thing to plan is to check if your circuit breakers will handle 6 PC's. Check out Inbox.exe on Tek about LAN Parties:

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Aint first thing to plan is to check if your circuit breakers will handle 6 PC's. Check out Inbox.exe on Tek about LAN Parties:

They will all be bringing laptop and I have enough plugs and whatever in my basement. 

Also, I saw that video and it gave me the inspiration :D

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Microsoft used Silverlight advertisements.

It's super uneffective!

Since I live in Canada and we already have over 2feet of snow, I don't think that heat will be a problem. :P

Since I live in Canada

Canada

You live on the wrong side of Canada, mate.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

You live on the wrong side of Canada, mate.

Southern Canada man.

Southern Canada man.

If you're hosting, make sure you have one or more of the following (just in case):

Generic power cables

Ethernet cables

Backup switch

Backup surge protector/powerbar(s)

Mousepad

Power extension cables (industrial quality)

Knowledge of how to use your circuit breaker

GW2: Vettexl.9726

You will be updating it right? Cause it's helping me a lot :). please update it .

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

If you're hosting, make sure you have one or more of the following (just in case):

Generic power cables

Ethernet cables

Backup switch

Backup surge protector/powerbar(s)

Mousepad

Power extension cables (industrial quality)

Knowledge of how to use your circuit breaker

Only thing I don't have from there is the backup switch, but I do have a triple-band router so if something happens we can switch to wifi

You will be updating it right? Cause it's helping me a lot :). please update it .

Yes

Well, Is it finished? 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON