Which would be a better setup for gaming/Premiere Pro: Dual Xeon E5620's or a single Xeon W3680

I guess it waters down to Dual low-preforming Xeon's vs. One high(er) performing Xeon.

I'm looking at making a cheap build and I really don't know if two low-performing Xeon's will outperform a single high(er) performance Xeon, especially in a gaming or Premiere Pro editing situation. I know they aren't very powerful CPU's to work with anyway but as long as I don't bottleneck a 780 Ti.

Is using 2 Xeon's in a single build better than using one?

Sorry for the not-too-detailed question I can't think right now

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

12 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

I guess it waters down to Dual low-preforming Xeon's vs. One high(er) performing Xeon.

I'm looking at making a cheap build and I really don't know if two low-performing Xeon's will outperform a single high(er) performance Xeon, especially in a gaming or Premiere Pro editing situation. I know they aren't very powerful CPU's to work with anyway but as long as I don't bottleneck a 780 Ti.

Is using 2 Xeon's in a single build better than using one?

Sorry for the not-too-detailed question I can't think right now

Im not too sure about the rendering bit, but using 2 e5620s will net you less gaming "quality" than a single w3680

Well surprisingly , the two cpus you've pick are about the exact same in speed.

it depends on the board and other variables you will be using.

I use two xeons for my work in premiere and AE , and really it depends what board will be used as to whether or not you should pick that platform. The board will be upgradable later so whatever upgrades the board can handle should decide what you go with.

Just now, emosun said:

Well surprisingly , the two cpus you've pick are about the exact same in speed.

it depends on the board and other variables you will be using.

I use two xeons for my work in premiere and AE , and really it depends what board will be used as to whether or not you should pick that platform. The board will be upgradable later so whatever upgrades the board can handle should decide what you go with.

Okay the W680 board is an HP Z400. How might I find compatibilities?

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

I lost the board so i may need a few minutes

Single Xeon. Do not go dual Xeon

Source: Puget systems - as reliable testing as it can get.

Also ask Barnacules. He made the mistake of doing that and suffers for it.

Premiere no longer scales as well across 2 CPUs and it is simply not worth it.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

i have 2 e5620 xeon and evga gtx950 sc+ , for gaming its really give me pain in the a... i run dota 2 ultra and get only everage of 30fps... other game like 1st person view such as devil may cry5 is great at 160+ fps... i think the bottleneck come from the low proc. spec. just my assumption... btw my motherboard is supermicro x8dtl-i .