Mirrorless Or DSLR

I have been looking for a Good Camera and Some soare lenses and Acessories for under and at 1000 dollars. Now I havent quite been able to decide fully on wether to pickout a DSLR or Mirrorless. I want to mainly do Nature Stills, some V-roll, Long Shutter Shots, and shots of Individuals. So the Main 2 Competetors I have seen are the Panasonic G7, and Cannon T6i. Which of these should I go with or is there another Camera thats better and Fits my Budget? Or which System should I choose?

6 minutes ago, Aidan Hartline said:

I have been looking for a Good Camera and Some soare lenses and Acessories for under and at 1000 dollars. Now I havent quite been able to decide fully on wether to pickout a DSLR or Mirrorless. I want to mainly do Nature Stills, some V-roll, Long Shutter Shots, and shots of Individuals. So the Main 2 Competetors I have seen are the Panasonic G7, and Cannon T6i. Which of these should I go with or is there another Camera thats better and Fits my Budget? Or which System should I choose?

Do you have experience with DSLR's, such as working with the settings based upon lighting/your subject?

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Desktop | Intel Core i5 - 7600k | ASUS Strix B250F | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti x Gaming 11G | 256GB Samsung Evo | x2 WD Blue 1TB | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)

Mini Desktop | Mac Mini | Core i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | 1TB HDD x2

Laptop | MacBook Pro 13in w/Touch bar (2016) | Intel Core i7 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 1TB SSD

Laptop | Lenovo Thinkpad Edge | Intel Core i5 | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Peripherals | Razer Chroma Orbweaver | Magic Mouse 2 | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G402 | Blue Snowball | Logitech G922 | Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933

Galaxy Tab S2 - used as a media streamer, more often abused by my 1 year old son.

If you don't care at all about video just get the one that takes the best pictures. Go on youtube and look at videos of both cameras.

Biggest things to consider with DSLR and Mirrorless, is battery life, DSLRs can last much longer if taking pictures, but if youre taking videos it would be about the same battery as the mirrorless. Mirrorless is easier to take around due to smaller size, and like me I like DSLRs more because of the eye piece as mirrorless digitizes the image while you see the true image from the DSLR. 

9 minutes ago, Aidan Hartline said:

To be frank, I'd get a Fujifilm S5 Pro and some sweet optics to go with it. The Fuji S5 uses Nikon lenses, so you'll have a large selection to play with.

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Desktop | Intel Core i5 - 7600k | ASUS Strix B250F | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti x Gaming 11G | 256GB Samsung Evo | x2 WD Blue 1TB | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)

Laptop | MacBook Pro 13in w/Touch bar (2016) | Intel Core i7 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 1TB SSD

Peripherals | Razer Chroma Orbweaver | Magic Mouse 2 | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G402 | Blue Snowball | Logitech G922 | Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933

Galaxy Tab S2 - used as a media streamer, more often abused by my 1 year old son.

Im a DSLR man, i love my Canon 70D and range of lenses.

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

16 hours ago, HunterScott said:

Do you have experience with DSLR's, such as working with the settings based upon lighting/your subject?

Yes. I have had 2 Years of Experience working qith DSLRs for my School and Yearbook

Of the 2 the Canon will be the better option for stills due to the larger sensor, which will give you better dynamic range and low light performance. Also, the battery life is a thing when shooting landscapes etc. since Long exposures tend to take a toll on the battery and you don't wanna have to carry a bunch of batteries with you. Couple that with lens availability for Canon cameras, both new and used and the Canon is the obvious choice. 

You may also want to consider Nikon though. They tend to do better at lower isos, have a lot fo glass as well, especially if you were to go for something like a used d7200 which has an in body AF motor and can use older D series AF nikkor Lenses and I believe has no AA filter making the images sharper, all desirebale features for landscape photography. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

20 hours ago, HunterScott said:

To be frank, I'd get a Fujifilm S5 Pro and some sweet optics to go with it. The Fuji S5 uses Nikon lenses, so you'll have a large selection to play with.

OP do not get a S5 pro, its ancient. So yea, don’t trust this dude I’ve quoted.

I’d consider a Nikon D7200 as it is still a great camera and would give you some more money to get a good lens for. This is if you go with Nikon. 

On the Canon side I’d say either the 80D or a 77D depending on how much of a ”pro” body you want. 

The we have to mention options like the Sony a6300 or the Fujifilm XT-20 which are great mirrorless cameras. I would only get a Panasonic if you plan to do quite a bit of video. For purley photos the others will perform better thanks to the larger sensor. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

2 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

OP do not get a S5 pro, its ancient. So yea, don’t trust this dude I’ve quoted.

I’d consider a Nikon D7200 as it is still a great camera and would give you some more money to get a good lens for. This is if you go with Nikon. 

On the Canon side I’d say either the 80D or a 77D depending on how much of a ”pro” body you want. 

The we have to mention options like the Sony a6300 or the Fujifilm XT-20 which are great mirrorless cameras. I would only get a Panasonic if you plan to do quite a bit of video. For purley photos the others will perform better thanks to the larger sensor. 

"Don't trust this side I've quoted."

Its incredibly easy to recite Google to someone like you have, but I'm speaking from experience. The Fuji S5 Pro is an outstanding camera, that despite being old, takes breathtaking images and has a great sensor. I still use one alongside a Nikon D5 for fashion; portrait and wedding photography - you cannot get much better than the S5 for the price, and as it used Nikon lenses, there is a large variety of lenses to use.

I wouldn't get a mirrorless, AF is sluggish unless you fork out big money (Phase detection vs Hybrid) and the lack of a viewfinder in the lower end models really detracts away from the clarity of your subject (Live view can also be incredibly sluggish).

So yeah, an S5 is a fantastic camera, I use one religiously to this day. Don't let someone's comments about it 'being old' throw you off. They don't have a flaming clue what they're talking about.

6 hours ago, Aidan Hartline said:

Yes. I have had 2 Years of Experience working qith DSLRs for my School and Yearbook

If you're mainly into taking portraits and landscape/nature, the Fuji S5 Pro would work beautifully.. It has two photodiodes, one at each photosite, so when you take an picture, it captures two of different sensitivities and merges them into one (basically HDR). Albeit, you get more detail in your images with a better range of colours.

― Charles Bukowski

32 minutes ago, HunterScott said:

"Don't trust this side I've quoted."

Its incredibly easy to recite Google to someone like you have, but I'm speaking from experience. The Fuji S5 Pro is an outstanding camera, that despite being old, takes breathtaking images and has a great sensor. I still use one alongside a Nikon D5 for fashion; portrait and wedding photography - you cannot get much better than the S5 for the price, and as it used Nikon lenses, there is a large variety of lenses to use.

I wouldn't get a mirrorless, AF is sluggish unless you fork out big money (Phase detection vs Hybrid) and the lack of a viewfinder in the lower end models really detracts away from the clarity of your subject (Live view can also be incredibly sluggish).

So yeah, an S5 is a fantastic camera, I use one religiously to this day. Don't let someone's comments about it 'being old' throw you off. They don't have a flaming clue what they're talking about.

Sure I can see its nice using a camera like that. I have an old 35mm film camera I use. But reccomending a very old outdated camera to a relativly new guy is not something I would do. As he can just get any Dxxxx camera that has a new amazing sensor and has the ability to use Nikkor lenses aswell. (Some need the D7xxx series to AF because of the lack of AF motor in the lens) I’ve not used the Fuji myself no. But as said, I don’t see any reason a beginner would get one compred to some of the more modern offerings. Things like log video, focus peaking, fast AF, good DR, higer MP (not the most importnat but does help imo) and a ton of other nice features. 

I did not throw if of for it being old mainly, but for the less than impressing specs compared to modern cameras. And you can assume that I don’t have a clue what I’m talking about but imo I have some valid points to why it wouldn’t be a smart option to buy the S5. To me it seems like you have a special connection to this camera and you may love it, but that sure as hell doesn’t mean a happy beginner will find it anywhere near as good. 

And really without any background info about you a reccomendation like that really makes you question if you actually have any idea what you are talking about. Sorry if I was rude but I really don’t see why you would reccomend that camera to any begginer now. If we are talking AF in mirrorless the newver models have come quite far and are on par with semi pro DSLR’s, sure not as fast as a D5 but defentivly as fast as an 80D or D7200 in several cases. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Things I've learnt from using both:

DSLR: More user friendly (canon more specifically)

Way more lens options (again canon specifically)

Better battery life

Usually better AF

Better low light

Mirrorless:

Much better for video

More accurate with EVF

More compact and lighter

Better burst modes

But that's not everything, just some things I've noticed.

8 hours ago, Rootzy said:

Things I've learnt from using both:

DSLR: More user friendly (canon more specifically)

Way more lens options (again canon specifically)

Better battery life

Usually better AF

Better low light

Mirrorless:

Much better for video

More accurate with EVF

More compact and lighter

Better burst modes

But that's not everything, just some things I've noticed.

it depends on what you are comparing to what. 

For instance, while native glass might be an issue, the ability to adapt glass to mirrorless makes it technically hva more lens options, especially if you don't really care for AF (e.g. if you are doing video in some cases.) 

Also, if you can attach the camera to a battery bank you have a better battery life. 

The best low light performer is actually the a7siii. I will shoot at insanely high isos. 

Similarly: 

Better burst modes than what? a 1dx2/7d2/d5/d500? Hell no! 

Also, EVF is a point of preference imo its not that great. I like the customisability and ability to use peaking and have a live histogram, but the exposure thing never really got me, I have had a lightmeter for that for ages. 

In regards to the Fuji s5 thing, I wouldn't go with one, just due to age and the fact that you are a beginner. 

Set aside ~$250-$300 for a good, affordable (NOT CHEAP!) tripod(Benro, 3 legged thing, Mefoto and Manfrotto's higher than the befree range are all good for this), an intervalometer (remote trigger basically, ~10$ off amazon) and a couple of cards. 

Then since you are going with a crop sensor, look at a used Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. ~$200

That should leave you with just over $500-$600 to play with. You should be able to get a used 750d or d7200 in that budget. I would go with the nikon in this case since the d7200 is considerably better than the 750d. A 70d or 7dmk2 could possibly be workable in that budget as well, and either would probably do better if you want to record video. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

52 minutes ago, cc143 said:

it depends on what you are comparing to what. 

For instance, while native glass might be an issue, the ability to adapt glass to mirrorless makes it technically hva more lens options, especially if you don't really care for AF (e.g. if you are doing video in some cases.) 

Also, if you can attach the camera to a battery bank you have a better battery life. 

The best low light performer is actually the a7siii. I will shoot at insanely high isos. 

Similarly: 

Better burst modes than what? a 1dx2/7d2/d5/d500? Hell no! 

Also, EVF is a point of preference imo its not that great. I like the customisability and ability to use peaking and have a live histogram, but the exposure thing never really got me, I have had a lightmeter for that for ages. 

In regards to the Fuji s5 thing, I wouldn't go with one, just due to age and the fact that you are a beginner. 

Set aside ~$250-$300 for a good, affordable (NOT CHEAP!) tripod(Benro, 3 legged thing, Mefoto and Manfrotto's higher than the befree range are all good for this), an intervalometer (remote trigger basically, ~10$ off amazon) and a couple of cards. 

Then since you are going with a crop sensor, look at a used Sigma or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. ~$200

That should leave you with just over $500-$600 to play with. You should be able to get a used 750d or d7200 in that budget. I would go with the nikon in this case since the d7200 is considerably better than the 750d. A 70d or 7dmk2 could possibly be workable in that budget as well, and either would probably do better if you want to record video. 

Yeah you're right, I probably should have thought more widely about all cameras. I definitely agree with your corrections, but I'll just say my experience makes me think if you are doing mostly video get a mirrorless (unless you want to spend thousands on a DSLR) or if your a new user or mainly doing photography I'd sway towards Nikon or Canon.