4K vs 1440p vs nothing

FiveNine

Kinda in a dilemma atm so i could use some help.

At first i wanted to buy a 1440p 27" monitor for gaming that would also be used to watch cable TV. But lo and behold the market in my country is horrible and very few choices available.

Short list

Benq GW2765HT - 355eu

Acer CB270HUbmidpr - 415eu

Benq PD2700Q - 420eu

HP Pavilion 32 V1M69AA - 450eu

Asus Designo MZ27AQ - 460eu

Asus MZ27AQ - 465eu

Pretty atrocious right? I know. There are other 1440p models but at 24" which i feel is too small (why do they even make them??)

The problem is that these monitors aren't anything special either for that amount of money. I feel they are certainly not worth buying.

Now i accidentally stumbled into a 4K LG 32UD59-B for 450eu so it got me thinking. I don't quite have the hardware to game on 4K, maybe medium-high settings depending on the game, which is fine for me.

What would you guys recommend? Buy one of the 1440p, or the 4K or buy nothing and wait for something to happen?

Is there going to be a price drop in 4K monitors maybe? :D I hear HDMI 2.1 is coming soon so it may stir things up. 

I do feel 450eu for a 32" 4K is reasonable and i looked around, many people seem to be satisfied with this particular model. 

1 minute ago, FiveNine said:

At first i wanted to buy a 1440p 27" monitor for gaming that would also be used to watch cable TV. But lo and behold the market in my country is horrible and very few choices available.

Short list

Benq GW2765HT - 355eu

Benq PD2700Q - 420eu

Asus MZ27AQ - 465eu

Pretty atrocious right? I know. There are other 1440p models but at 24" which i feel is too small (why do they even make them??)

The problem is that these monitors aren't anything special either for that amount of money. I feel they are certainly not worth buying.

Now i accidentally stumbled into a 4K LG 32UD59-B for 450eu so it got me thinking. I don't quite have the hardware to game on 4K, maybe medium-high settings depending on the game, which is fine for me.

What would you guys recommend? Buy one of the 1440p, or the 4K or buy nothing and wait for something to happen?

Is there going to be a price drop in 4K monitors maybe? :D I hear HDMI 2.1 is coming soon so it may stir things up. 

I do feel 450eu for a 32" 4K is reasonable and i looked around, many people seem to be satisfied with this particular model. 

A 4k tv is not the same as a 4k monitor when it comes to games. Maybe the manufacturer says that the TV has 100hz refresh rate but it is not as they say. I already tested that with my setup. A 27" 1080p 60hz monitor and a 49" 4K 100hz(they said but it's not true) TV. Forza Horizon 3, both low settings to get MAX FPS on my 1050ti. Whilst my PC monitor displays all those 60fps making the game feel as smooth as baby skin, the TV could not handle all FPS at all. Somehow the TV was a bit lagging and displaying the image a bit weird. If you want something to watch TV and play games and you do not care about how smooth the image is then go for the 4k TV. But if you really want some nice gaming experience go for a normal monitor for PC and then try getting a TV.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

6 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

A 4k tv is not the same as a 4k monitor when it comes to games. Maybe the manufacturer says that the TV has 100hz refresh rate but it is not as they say. I already tested that with my setup. A 27" 1080p 60hz monitor and a 49" 4K 100hz(they said but it's not true) TV. Forza Horizon 3, both low settings to get MAX FPS on my 1050ti. Whilst my PC monitor displays all those 60fps making the game feel as smooth as baby skin, the TV could not handle all FPS at all. Somehow the TV was a bit lagging and displaying the image a bit weird. If you want something to watch TV and play games and you do not care about how smooth the image is then go for the 4k TV. But if you really want some nice gaming experience go for a normal monitor for PC and then try getting a TV.

It's a 4K monitor, not a TV. It would just be used as a TV occasionally as well as for gaming

It's a 4K monitor, not a TV. It would just be used as a TV occasionally as well as for gaming

I missread, my bad. What are your specs?

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

1 minute ago, R3ep3r said:

I missread, my bad. What are your specs?

I have a midrangey 6600k and rx480 both overclocked nicely. Before you mention it, i realize the 480 isn't really good for 4K but i watched some benchmarks/videos and to me it seemed decent. I'm not one of those that has to max out everything, lower settings are fine for me. I don't play very demanding games either. Another point is that i can always upgrade my GPU in the future. Basically i'm leaning towards the 4K i'm just wondering if it's a good choice to make.

19 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

Short list

Benq GW2765HT - 355eu

Benq PD2700Q - 420eu

HP Pavilion 32 V1M69AA - 450eu

Asus Designo MZ27AQ - 460eu

Asus MZ27AQ - 465eu

4k monitor for sure with those prices, the monitor will also run in 1440p with no black bars.

2 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

I have a midrangey 6600k and rx480 both overclocked nicely. Before you mention it, i realize the 480 isn't really good for 4K but i watched some benchmarks/videos and to me it seemed decent. I'm not one of those that has to max out everything, lower settings are fine for me. I don't play very demanding games either. Another point is that i can always upgrade my GPU in the future. Basically i'm leaning towards the 4K i'm just wondering if it's a good choice to make.

Just go for the 4K. You'll have room for future upgrades such as a new GPU when prices drop ofcourse. Also that 6600k is not really a midrangey xD

TO BE UPGRADED:

Just now, R3ep3r said:

Just go for the 4K. You'll have room for future upgrades such as a new GPU when prices drop ofcourse. Also that 6600k is not really a midrangey xD

I bought it a few months before Ryzen was released and everyone made it seem like 4 cores are now obsolete last gen trash :D I'm quite happy with it though.

2 minutes ago, mortino said:

4k monitor for sure with those prices, the monitor will also run in 1440p with no black bars.

How about the scaling? Since 1080p fits perfectly into 4K resolution so scaling would be much better, but i heard 1440p looks horribly blurry and bad on 4K?

How about the scaling? Since 1080p fits perfectly into 4K resolution so scaling would be much better, but i heard 1440p looks horribly blurry and bad on 4K?

Fits exactly as 1080p but looks better xD Just tested it on my TV. Not blurry at all.

TO BE UPGRADED:

I bought it a few months before Ryzen was released and everyone made it seem like 4 cores are now obsolete last gen trash :D I'm quite happy with it though.

I run 1080p, 1440p and 4k depending on the game and have no issues at all, shouldn't be any issues at these resolutions as they are all 16:9 and should scale perfectly.

4 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

Fits exactly as 1080p but looks better xD Just tested it on my TV. Not blurry at all.

1 minute ago, mortino said:

I run 1080p, 1440p and 4k depending on the game and have no issues at all, shouldn't be any issues at these resolutions as they are all 16:9 and should scale perfectly.

Wow, nice guys. That sounds very encouraging :D I guess i'll buy it and be happy. Will need to shell out a bit extra for the wall mount and a hdmi switch too but it's ok

2 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

Wow, nice guys. That sounds very encouraging :D I guess i'll buy it and be happy. Will need to shell out a bit extra for the wall mount and a hdmi switch too but it's ok

That monitor has 2 HDMI 2.0 ports on it, aka 4k 60hz.

1 minute ago, mortino said:

That monitor has 2 HDMI 2.0 ports on it, aka 4k 60hz.

Yea but i want to avoid switching inputs via the monitor menu, seems easier just to press a button on the switch xD I'm lazy like that