VPN Settings - Need help!!

PraveenRamanujam
Go to solution Solved by PraveenRamanujam,
On 2/13/2018 at 4:19 AM, nick name said:

Did you solve this?

Finally. Yes I did manage to do this. But only after a windows reset.

Hello guys, I am having some issues with connecting to my university's VPN. I tinkered around with some windows services and after a big screw up, I managed to get my wifi working normally. However, when I try to connect to this VPN (using settings specified in the second attachment), I get "Negotiating using configured protocol is disable. Edit connection properties and select different protocol for connection and try again". I have to use the security protocols mentioned in the screenshot for connecting to the desired server and so changing to a different protocol does not seem to be an option. As I previously said, I disabled a lot of windows services in a fit of rage and now my guess is that one of the disabled services is either not starting or has its parameters changed. I tried system restore multiple times, tried reinstalling my network adapter driver and also tried adding the VPN repeatedly. None of the methods seem to work and I can only come back to the services issue. Please let me know what possible services could be associated with this and if it is indeed that, what parameters to change, if someone has any idea. Reinstalling windows is not an option since I have to be connected (through LAN) to the University's server to install windows on my laptop. I cannot do this now and I have to connect to the VPN for a lot of academic stuff.. So all and any suggestions are welcome. Help me out please! Thanks..

Also, sorry if I am missing some details.

Praveen.

Capture.PNG

2.PNG

Mobile workstation: Lenovo Thinkpad W541 - i7-4710MQ | NVidia Quadro K1100M | 8GB DDR3 | 240GB SSD

Did you disable event log service by any chance? Disabling that in Win10 causes all sorts of problems with connections.

type in to search

msconfig

go to services tab and select enable all

click apply, reboot and hope for the best :P

1 hour ago, sh0ck1ng said:

Did you disable event log service by any chance? Disabling that in Win10 causes all sorts of problems with connections.

type in to search

msconfig

go to services tab and select enable all

click apply, reboot and hope for the best :P

I did disable the event log service. I also remember enabling all the services I disabled. But maybe I missed it. Anyway, I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thank you! 

Mobile workstation: Lenovo Thinkpad W541 - i7-4710MQ | NVidia Quadro K1100M | 8GB DDR3 | 240GB SSD

You could try forcing a network reset

go to network and internet and try running the troubleshooter and network reset options

cap.PNG

1 hour ago, sh0ck1ng said:

You could try forcing a network reset

go to network and internet and try running the troubleshooter and network reset options

cap.PNG

Appreciate your effort into this. But I already tried this..multiple times. I've tried all the options that are there in the windows settings (metro UI + control panel - network and sharing center) and that is why I am particularly looking for issues with windows services. Although some services seem to be unrelated to network stuff, as you pointed out earlier, there are certainly some bugs with seemingly innocuous services. I'm checking the dependencies associated with each service and cross checking if the necessary ones are running.

What are the VPN requirements specified by the university?

E.g. for most L2TP via PSK VPN's, you need outbound UDP 1701,500 4500 and ESP traffic allowed. MS-CHAPV2 is then the usual security protocol.

13 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

What are the VPN requirements specified by the university?

E.g. for most L2TP via PSK VPN's, you need outbound UDP 1701,500 4500 and ESP traffic allowed. MS-CHAPV2 is then the usual security protocol.

Yes, MS-CHAPV2 is what the university recommends. I can't find any numbers on the UPD and ESP traffic specifications though. I tried connecting to the same server using all the other available authentication protocols as well, but ended up with a generic cannot connect to server message or something to do with "this server requires encryption, but you're not encrypted" kinda message.

Did you solve this?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you solve this?

Nope. Not yet. I'm still searching for a solution. But now, since I have returned to my city, I have access to the university's network and so now I can try a Windows 10 refresh (not a clean re-install). I will do that in the coming week and check it that solves the issue. I have tried as many setting changes as I can and this seems to be the only option left.

P.S.: I have a Windows enterprise edition installed and any kind of OS level changes can be made only if I am on the university's network and that too physically via ethernet.

Did you solve this?

Finally. Yes I did manage to do this. But only after a windows reset.