Computer table from scratch!!

(A little backstory) I'm 24, happily married with 2 kids! Before this whole thing I'd only built one thing out of wood, and thankfully there aren't any pictures I could find of that... thing. So I had this really awkward wall situation, a badly warped Ikea desk that was ready for the bin. Having someone build a custom desk to match these angles would cost a ton of money, especially all wood. So I did the logical thing and got into woodworking! (My wife thought I was nuts) 

This entire thing ran me just over $300 (Basically the price of all the wood) 

All the tools I used were about 300 in total as well if you want to take that into consideration, though I've used all that stuff on tons of other project by now so personally I thought it was totally worth it.

This is the dying Ikea table against the strange wall. The painters tape outlines the dimensions of the new table I wanted to make. (note the cable apocolypse)

Zis8Pa9.jpg

I took some measurements and penciled my new tables dimensions on the floor, made some adjustments and finally taped the final size down for reference. I always liked tables that kinda rap around you like some kind of spaceship cockpit. Also, this wall looked perfect for some reference speakers for mixing music, which is why I wanted the PC at that center wall.

So over the next few months I saved up and bought some basic tools. I built a workbench as a practice run since that wouldn't need to be pretty. I learned a lot during this proccess and now I had a place to work on this computer table! (Keep in mind we live in an apartment...)

Here's what that workbench looked like when I first made it. I used a super dense leg system I got on Amazon to make things a bit easier on my first go.

2Ri6tHZg.jpg

Now I had a place to work and some basic tools! So work on this baby officially started. I calculated all the wood I'd need and went off to Lowes. I picked up 8 oak 4x4s for the legs, a bunch of cheap 2x4 to make the frame where the table top would sit (After the Ikea table I promised myself I'd never have a bowing computer desk again) and a bunch of squared pine planks for the table top.

Here are all the planks sitting on the work bench. These would eventually be the table top and were the bulk of the price. They ran about $30 each.

E6Nt03Q.jpg

Here I started working on the frame/support using all the 2x4s These things are super cheap! (like $2 for 10 feet.) I used titebond wood glue, clamps, and a nailgun for this part.

HrpMXcI.jpgMFFkwHD.jpg

The area of the frame is exactly 2" smaller than the outline on all sides, that's why it looks smaller. This is because I wanted the table top to hang 2" past the frame on all sides.

Here's the finished frame! Took a lot of simple math and calculations but I eventually got it right! So this part cost like $10 because these 2x4 are so cheap.

QKXu1CY.jpg

Next I attatched the legs. This part was a little trickier than I anticipated so I had to make some adjustments with a handsaw at the end.

I wanted to make this table something  I could take apart when we move, so rather than using glue and nails I used hardwood cabinet screws and some little oak supports under the frame I made from left over oak.

GG9ULpa.jpg

Next I laid the planks on the frame and drew the angles to cut out to match the wall. I clamped these down with wood glue to the frame, but not the legs so that I can still take this thing apart later.

I used heavy stuff to apply pressure where I couldn't fit the clamps.

26ESPuH.jpg

After some fine tuning she was basically done!

I was originally planning on painting it, but I got so attatched by the end that I ended up just keeping the natural look.

I sealed the wood with some beeswax and orange oil and that was that.

TdWX7na.jpg

I eventually added this contraption to mount my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

BpJYHbw.jpgiBSvXCK.jpg

And here she is today!

(I use the long side on the left for soldering and using my midi.)

6jWFsI9.jpg

Here's what the workbench has turned in to so far.

GQulgW2.jpg

I honestly owe a lot of the motivation for this whole thing to LMG. Watching these guys not only taught me so much but made me feel like a piece of crap for not getting more involved with tech and making my life and my friend/familys lives better. Thanks to them I built my own PC, got into soldering, woodworking, coding, and just a ton of stuff in general. It's been a really awesome ride and I can't wait to build tons more cool stuff.

If you guys want any more info about this build just let me know and I'll post it!

My PC is nothing crazy but here's my setup in case anyones curious.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DRd8Fd

Hopefully I'll have the cash to build a super bada** computer some day. I'll definitely share it with all of you.

- Jesus (Yes, that is my name)

Wow, I almost went that route myself because it would be cheaper since I already had a ton of spare materials xD . Then I got gifted a desk so yeah. Still good job :D

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

6 minutes ago, silentprototipe said:

Wow, I almost went that route myself because it would be cheaper since I already had a ton of spare materials xD . Then I got gifted a desk so yeah. Still good job :D

Thank you :) I think I would've settled for getting a regular desk, it was just the weird wall that really did it for me. My OCD wanted something that'd fit into it haha.

Good job. I've done several woodworking "experiments", and they always take more effort than I'd thought prior. This thing looks great.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

3 hours ago, greatyoubrokeit said:

Thank you :) I think I would've settled for getting a regular desk, it was just the weird wall that really did it for me. My OCD wanted something that'd fit into it haha.

Yeah that makes sense, In my case I would have just wanted it so I could have it custom to my needs xD

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Wow nice job. I’m hoping when I get my new house to create a similar project. I’ve dreamt of creating a customized desk with my pc built into the desk. Or basically create my own “smart” desk.