Editing/Gaming Threadripper Build

My six year old 3770K rig finally kicked the bucket so it's about time I upgraded. I'm keeping most of my old rig intact so all I need is a CPU, MoBo and RAM. Like most people it seems, I'm building a dual purpose system. Editing (adobe) and gaming. I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible of course but expect to be spending somewhere in the vicinity of $1500. After researching CPUs I find myself leaning towards the Threadripper 1900X. It seems like a better offer than intel's similarly priced i7-7820X but I could be wrong.

The motherboard I was looking at to go along with the 1900X is the MSI X399 GAMING PRO and 32GB of G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM. (Will I be able to control the RAMs lighting with that board?)

So my question is, is Threadripper overkill considering I'm a film maker who's basically constantly editing? I don't use After Effects very often but would like to change that in the future.

WHy 1900x? its basically the same as the 1800x, but costs more. If going threadripper go atleast 1920x. You don't seem no need the io here, and thats the only reason to go 1900x

For that budget a 7820x is a bit faster.

If you're into Adobe stuff, you're better served with an 8700 (or K if you're into overclocking).

15 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

If you aren't getting the 16 core and don't need the PCI-e Lanes just get an R7 1700

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

WHy 1900x? its basically the same as the 1800x, but costs more. If going threadripper go atleast 1920x. You don't seem no need the io here, and thats the only reason to go 1900x

For that budget a 7820x is a bit faster.

I started looking at Threadripper because of the extra PCIE lanes. I'm running dual graphics cards and an M.2 drive and want room for future expansion

Just now, DCWalt said:

I started looking at Threadripper because of the extra PCIE lanes. I'm running dual graphics cards and an M.2 drive and want room for future expansion

You can easily do that on lga 115x or am4. What other expansion?

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can easily do that on lga 115x or am4. What other expansion?

Potentially a Quadro in the future depending on how a few upcoming projects look. I might end up using my system for 3D rendering in blender for use in after effects.

Just now, DCWalt said:

Potentially a Quadro in the future depending on how a few upcoming projects look. I might end up using my system for 3D rendering in blender for use in after effects.

What gpu's do you have?

What programs?

For editing and that budget id go 7820x

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What gpu's do you have?

What programs?

For editing and that budget id go 7820x

Right now I have dual 970s that will also be upgraded in the future. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll be able to catch the current GPU generation but I have plans to upgrade in the next one. I primarily run Adobe stuff but like I said, I might need to branch out soon to 3D rendering.

Just now, DCWalt said:

Right now I have dual 970s that will also be upgraded in the future. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll be able to catch the current GPU generation but I have plans to upgrade in the next one. I primarily run Adobe stuff but like I said, I might need to branch out soon to 3D rendering.

Yea id go 7820x, more pcie lanes so you can do x8 x8 x8. Dmi for m.2.  Faster cpu, esp in adobe, and you can oc it more.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea id go 7820x, more pcie lanes so you can do x8 x8 x8. Dmi for m.2.  Faster cpu, esp in adobe, and you can oc it more.

How is the 7820x a better option than the 1900X? It's clocked slightly lower, has half the PCIE lanes and costs $150 more. I had already ruled it out in favor of the 1900X. Am I missing something?

Just now, DCWalt said:

How is the 7820x a better option than the 1900X? It's clocked slightly lower, has half the PCIE lanes and costs $150 more. I had already ruled it out in favor of the 1900X. Am I missing something?

Intel has better performance per clock.

Here is premeire performance, your thinking about 5-20% faster depedning on what your doing

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1047/

And photoshop, about 5% faster on average 

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2017-1-1-CPU-Performance-Core-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1057/

and you can oc it more, and x299 boards are cheaper.