Looking for a large non-SSD Storage for Games

Hello.

So, about to get my PSU upgraded.

Now looking for a storage for games, as I doubt I need more than a terrabyte for games.

I have been looking at Western Digital Black Edition, one terrabyte, but not sure if there's anything similar from Seagate to that, or if so, which would or should it be? Maybe a SSHD as it is not as expensive as a SSD but more inbetween. 

This is to get the majority of games that I do not play as much as the others, my games I play most on are on the SSD I have already.

blacks are not worth it

and sshds are not worth it either

either:

large blue drive

large red drive

large gold drive 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

blacks are not worth it

and sshds are not worth it either

either:

large blue drive

large red drive

large gold drive 

How do they compare to Seagate's Ironwolf and Firecuda or whatever they're called, trying to get the most out of the money.

An SSHD is barely better than an HDD, it's not really worthy of being called in-between an HDD and SSD, it's more like an HDD with some benefits for specific circumstances. A 64GB SSD to use for Intel RST caching would be better than an SSHD and the whole thing would end up around the same cost.

The Seagate 7200RPM Barracuda is probably the closest to the WD Black, though I believe the Black still performs better and has a better warranty. 

Just now, WPMP36 said:

How do they compare to Seagate's Ironwolf and Firecuda or whatever they're called, trying to get the most out of the money.

Firecuda are the SSHDs, Barracuda are the HDDs. Seagate's 7200RPM Barracuda drives are probably the best performance for the money, similar to the Toshiba P300 and the WD 7200RPM Blue drives. Any one of those three will do well, so go for the cheapest of them. 

Toshiba's X300 models are darn fast and big

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
+ 7200RPM Seagate 1 Terabyte HDD
  • PSU
    seasonic 750 prime platinum Active PFC F3
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
    Cherry MX Board 6.0 ISOANSI + Vector/Tai keycaps+ Landing pads + O-rings
  • Mouse
    BenQ Zowie EC2-A White Edition
  • Sound
    Edirol Roland UA-25EX + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 x64 (Enterprise) SP1, OpenSUSE, Remnux

1 minute ago, WPMP36 said:

Looking at WD Black 1 Terrabyte and then BarraCuda 1TB, it seems the BarraCuda is just so little faster than the WD Black, and costs less.

But looking at this here.

http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Black-1TB-2013-vs-Seagate-Barracuda-1TB-2016/1822vs3896

go for barracuda for price/$

go for black if you just want to throw money to say you have a wd black

go for blue if you want only 1tb

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

IIRC a black is just a Blue that went through more testing to ensure its better. They are the same drives. 

Honestly, OP asking whats faster between two 7200rpm drives is the same as asking how long is a piece of string. THey hard drives, they for large cheap storage. If you want performance get an SSD. it's that simple. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

get the wd blue if you don't need more than a TB

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

A hard drive is a hard drive these days. Whatever's cheaper between a WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda.

SSHD's do nothing for gaming, unless all you do is play a game that's smaller than 8GB in size, but if you are why are you buying a big HDD in the first place

"Rawr XD"

On 2/2/2018 at 5:02 AM, Not_Sean said:

IIRC a black is just a Blue that went through more testing to ensure its better. They are the same drives. 

just to clarify: higher capacity Blues (2TB and above) are only 5400RPM, as opposed to Black's 7200RPM for all capacities.

personally though I just get whatever's cheapest ahahaha the IIRC the difference between 7200RPM and 5400RPM is not even noticeable in realworld scenarios.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |