why is my new laptop so slow

hey everyone. So I purchased this new laptop a Dell Inspiron 7560.

cor i5 7th gen 7200u

8 Gb ddr4 RAM with an additional RAM slot and also had 4gb graphics card gtx 940mx. I was expecting this laptop to deliver average to a little heavy usage on a daily basis but it has totally disappointed me. I cannot game on it no matter what and for some reason, just regular internet surfing also eats up to 6gb of the RAM. Can any of you guys give any suggestion to improve this scenario so that I can use it for minor photo and video editing? I have also decided to replace the 1TB HDD with an SSD and add another 8gb of RAM. can delidding the CPU help?

ANY suggestion guys cause I am new at this.

HDD is part of the problem, but id do a clean install of windows to get rid of any bloatware and also make sure you have graphics drivers installed

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Decrapify, as Bananasplit suggested, and definitely get an SSD. Adding more RAM though won't do much as the present graphics that are on the laptop won't really improve.

940mx is only really capable of gaming at 720p.  It is about half of a GTX 750 Ti performance wise.  Better than the Intel HD graphics, but not by much.

Also, uninstall all the bloat or reinstall from an image direct from Microsoft.

get the SSD and uninstall the bloat chrome browser if u have it, a normal browser w/o crap uses less than 600mb of RAM even if u have multiple windows at the same time

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

the u standands for ultra slow. gtx940m sucks. HDD will be making it feel slow as well. you could have probably picked up a i5 6300hq+960m or 1050 used for around the same price :( 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

8 hours ago, aman the soni said:

hey everyone. So I purchased this new laptop a Dell Inspiron 7560.

cor i5 7th gen 7200u

8 Gb ddr4 RAM with an additional RAM slot and also had 4gb graphics card gtx 940mx. I was expecting this laptop to deliver average to a little heavy usage on a daily basis but it has totally disappointed me. I cannot game on it no matter what and for some reason, just regular internet surfing also eats up to 6gb of the RAM. Can any of you guys give any suggestion to improve this scenario so that I can use it for minor photo and video editing? I have also decided to replace the 1TB HDD with an SSD and add another 8gb of RAM. can delidding the CPU help?

ANY suggestion guys cause I am new at this.

Yes get an SSD and 8GB of extra RAM in there if possible. The ram is supposedly user upgradeable, just buy another stick of 8GB, (or two sticks of 8GB if there is 2x 4GB in there now). https://www.dell.com/community/General/Dell-Inspiron-i7-7560-Ram-Upgrade/m-p/5098634

The system should feel much more responsive with more RAM and SSD, should be fine for some light photo and video editing.

Don't expect to be gaming on a GTX940M and similar. Anything other than maybe Minecraft and WoW wouldnt run on it. If that was your goal, should have gotten a laptop with a GTX 1050 or 1060 at least. Inspiron series are just regular consumer laptops built for people who want to do webbrowsing, some office work, and that's it. They try to make them as thin, light and affordable as possible for those purposes.

That CPU should be fine for the light tasks you want to do, but not for serious video rendering or something like that.

Delidding CPU: No, absolutely not. Impossible on a laptop chip anyway as far as I know.