EKB KIT P360 on ASUS Maximus X

Hey Guys,

I started feeling little dizzy from researching this subject and any help will be very much appreciated, I am planning a build the following specs:

Mother Board:Asus ROG Maximus X Hero

Video Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti O11G
CPU: i7-8700K

Water cooling loop: EK-KIT P360 (Link: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-kit-p360#ow_alert_box)

The water cooling loop will be modified to include the GPU water cooling block (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-1080-gtx-ti-strix-nickel)

Now, I know that the pump goes to the W_Pump+ header in the board which can be activated from the BIOS to react to PWM, the fans go to either the PWM header on the Strix video card or to the CPU_FAN Header (I will populate the CPU_FAN header anyway to prevent the system from assuming a missing CPU Fan)

But, I was wondering, will the PWM Pump and Fans react to the higher temperature between the GPU and CPU or will only react to the CPU temp?

Asus Fanconnect II says that when connecting the fans to Asus strix fans video card header it supposedly sync with the mother board to let the fans operate on the higher temp between both, but how can i get the pump to do the same? I cannot connect the pump to the video card because the video card header is only 1 amp.

a last resort is to set the pump to 100% speed from the bios but this is not the best solution considering the noise.

Any help please!

Thank you very much.

EK-IM-P360-3831109863473.pdf

Max X Hero.pdf

Edited by komo1006

Okay, but for the sake of curiosity, is there any workaround to activate the pump on PWM while taking into account both the CPU and GPU?

34 minutes ago, komo1006 said:

I cannot connect the pump to the video card because the video card header is only 1 amp.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the PWM for the pump is only a speed signal.  The pump gets powered via a MOLEX connector, and as such, shouldn't pull current from the fan header.

Actually this is true! If the PWM Pump doesn't draw any current from the 4 pin PWM connection then i guess it's safe to connect it to the Asus Strix Video card, I need to check that though with EKWB,

Thanks!!!

Don't you have a dedicated pump connector on the motherboard designed only to have a 4pin PWM pump cable connected to it so that everything can be configured thoruh UEFI?

You probably can connect it to that and set using some software or even in BIOS to react to the GPU temp but honestly if you set that pump to the lowest rpm with a liquid cooling loop like that the GPU temps will be very low either way so I wouldn't even bother with that. :)

Main PC

i7 7820X @4.5Ghz/Asus X299 TUF Mark I/GSkill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB 3000MHz/MSI GTX980Ti Gaming 6G/960 Pro 512GB/850 Evo 500GB/2x2TB HDD/Enthoo Evolv TG/H115i w/HD140s/Corsair HX 850i

Other PCs

i7 3930K/16GB DDR3 1866Mhz/Big Bang Xpower II/MSI GTX 760 TF 2GB/BQ DP P8 1000W/850 Evo 250GB/2TB WD HDD

i5 6600K/BQ Dark Rock 3/16GB Vengeance LPX/ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming/Intel 120GB SSD/GTX 1060 Strix/1TB HDD/Corsair RM650

R5 1600/8GB Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz/ASUS B350F Strix Gaming/ GTX 1050Ti Strix/850 Evo 250GB/1TB HDD/BQ 530W

Notebook Lenovo Ideapad 710S 6500U/8GB/256GB NVMe

Peasant gaming stuff PS3/PS4 Pro/PSP/PS Vita

2 hours ago, reapzzer said:

Don't you have a dedicated pump connector on the motherboard designed only to have a 4pin PWM pump cable connected to it so that everything can be configured thoruh UEFI?

You probably can connect it to that and set using some software or even in BIOS to react to the GPU temp but honestly if you set that pump to the lowest rpm with a liquid cooling loop like that the GPU temps will be very low either way so I wouldn't even bother with that. :)

I do have a Pump dedicated PWM header, however, i honestly don't have a clue if Asus Maximus X BIOS can adjust it according to the GPU temperature.

It would be great if it can! but i think the BIOS control both the pump and the fans according to the CPU only as i cant find anything in the manual that relates to GPU.

Are you sure that ASUS BIOS reads the Strix GPU temperature and adjusts the pump and the fans to it?

On my Maximus X motherboard, my D5 runs at 100%.  

The pump connects to the motherboard to the hearder you indicated, but draws power from Molex.  

It is my understanding that it is not possible to control the pump speed through the BIOS.  At least I can't in my BIOS.  

As stated, the D% is very quiet and I have no problem running it at 100%. 
-J

19 hours ago, Jsunn said:

On my Maximus X motherboard, my D5 runs at 100%.  

The pump connects to the motherboard to the hearder you indicated, but draws power from Molex.  

It is my understanding that it is not possible to control the pump speed through the BIOS.  At least I can't in my BIOS.  

As stated, the D% is very quiet and I have no problem running it at 100%. 
-J

Okay, then I guess I will connect the pump as you did and will connect the fans to the strix GPU header.

thank you very much