New PC, looking for advice please.DONE!

Hello everyone.

I am in the point where my old PC dosent dosent do it anymor for me (8 years and counting).
I ususally do Office work, occasionally some light gaming like Starcraft 2, Factorio or Space Engineers and very rarly i edit a video (nothing fancy). Looking throug the Internet I came up with 2 builds and hope some of you can give me some input/insight on them, parts compatibillity or bottlenecks i might not be aware of. Also im torn between Intel or AMD.

I really hope you can help me.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GwwFJV

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MvLKJV

Thanks

P.S.: English is not my native Toung so please excuse me my spelling and/or grammer errors.

Edit 1:

I plan on using the M.2 as the system drive, for additional storage i will use my current drives 3x 1TB.

Edit 2:

Overclocking is something i probably will never do.

Finished:

So this is what i ended up buying: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/nursoo/saved/B7hLD3

I am very Happy with the result.

Thanks to @limegorilla, @AlphaPRS, @bleedblue, @Apepa and @danejesse1 for your input it was/is very much appreciated.

2018-02-25 11.45.56.jpg

Edited by nursoo

I would add a 1 - 3 tb HDD - they are only about $100 for a decent one- 250GB isnt really that big

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

Both builds are great but i personally would prefer the AMD processor. That psu is way overkill for those parts but they will easily do what you need. I'm not sure an m.2 drive is such a good thing to have when you can get a decent ssd that's twice if not four times the size for the same price

Would you be willing to wait just a little bit longer? Right now isn't a great time to be assembling a PC as new components are just over the horizon.

For Intel, Kaby Lake is dead, Coffee Lake is superior in every way. But there aren't any H or B boards out right now, only the premium Z boards.

On the AMD side of things, Ryzen+ comes out in 2 months boasting higher clock speeds and possibly better overclockability than current Zen.

For both builds though, I'd do away with the m.2 ssd, you're much better off price-wise with a regular SATA SSD + HDD.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Out of the two I'd go for the AMD build, it would give you more room to upgrade later, but I would probably spend a little more now and get the 1600.

My only other comment is on the SSD. Personally, I don't think you'll notice enough of a difference with an nvme drive to justify paying the premium over a 2.5 SATA drive. Get a SATA SSD and spend the extra money on higher capacity or a better CPU.

1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

I would add a 1 - 3 tb HDD - they are only about $100 for a decent one

Thanks. I plan on using my current Hard Drives 3x 1TB and the M.2 as the System Drive.

3 minutes ago, AlphaPRS said:

Both builds are great but i personally would prefer the AMD processor. That psu is way overkill for those parts but they will easily do what you need. I'm not sure an m.2 drive is such a good thing to have when you can get a decent ssd that's twice if not four times the size for the same price

Thanks. I plan on using my current Hard Drives 3x 1TB and the M.2 as the System Drive.

2 minutes ago, nursoo said:

The M.2 is really expensive for what you get compared to a normal SATA SSD.

If you go the AMD route I'd recommend a B350 or X370 board since you can't OC on A320. Also I think the cpu cooler is overkill. I'd rather have a better cpu / gpu / motherboard than a better cooler.

12 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Would you be willing to wait just a little bit longer? Right now isn't a great time to be assembling a PC as new components are just over the horizon.

For Intel, Kaby Lake is dead, Coffee Lake is superior in every way. But there aren't any H or B boards out right now, only the premium Z boards.

On the AMD side of things, Ryzen+ comes out in 2 months boasting higher clock speeds and possibly better overclockability than current Zen.

For both builds though, I'd do away with the m.2 ssd, you're much better off price-wise with a regular SATA SSD + HDD.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Apepa said:

Out of the two I'd go for the AMD build, it would give you more room to upgrade later, but I would probably spend a little more now and get the 1600.

My only other comment is on the SSD. Personally, I don't think you'll notice enough of a difference with an nvme drive to justify paying the premium over a 2.5 SATA drive. Get a SATA SSD and spend the extra money on higher capacity or a better CPU.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Apepa said:

The M.2 is really expensive for what you get compared to a normal SATA SSD.

Thank you all. I picked the M.2 after a recomendation from a friend, any advice on which SATA SSD i could look at or what to look out for?

1 minute ago, danejesse1 said:

If you go the AMD route I'd recommend a B350 or X370 board since you can't OC on A320. Also I think the cpu cooler is overkill. I'd rather have a better cpu / gpu / motherboard than a better cooler.

Thanks. I presume OC is Overclocking if so its something i have never done and probably wont do. Is there another advantage to the B350 or x370 boards?

2 minutes ago, nursoo said:

any advice on which SATA SSD i could look at or what to look out for?

Samsug 850 EVO or 860 EVO (are these out yet?)

Crucial MX 300

There's a lot more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Samsug 850 EVO or 860 EVO (are these out yet?)

Crucial MX 300

There's a lot more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Thank you, i will look into it.

7 minutes ago, nursoo said:

Thanks. I presume OC is Overclocking if so its something i have never done and probably wont do. Is there another advantage to the B350 or x370 boards?

Yeah OC = overclocking. You'd get overall better quality and more creature comforts (edit: and features). If I was getting a R5 cpu I'd go for a B350 board. Also, if you are not overclocking you are probably fine with the stock CPU cooler. Even if you didn't like the stock cpu cooler you could try it out (since it comes included anyways) and get a Hyper 212 evo or Cryorig H7 if you want something quieter.

Yeah OC = overclocking. You'd get overall better quality and more creature comforts (edit: and features). If I was getting a R5 cpu I'd go for a B350 board. Also, if you are not overclocking you are probably fine with the stock CPU cooler. Even if you didn't like the stock cpu cooler you could try it out (since it comes included anyways) and get a Hyper 212 evo or Cryorig H7 if you want something quieter.

Thanks, if the stock cooler does it for me thats great! i will look into the B350 boards.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/01/2018 at 12:04 AM, nursoo said:

So this is what i ended up buying: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/nursoo/saved/B7hLD3

I am very Happy with the result.

Thanks to @limegorilla, @AlphaPRS, @bleedblue, @Apepa and @danejesse1 for your input it was/is very much appreciated.

Glad I could help! Have fun with your new PC!

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.