CPU is Getting too Hot

I recently put together a custom CPU+GPU loop but my CPU temps (8700k) are way higher than they should be.

In AIDA 64, the temps hovered in the 70s and changing the pump speed between full and 1/2 speed only changed the temperatures from the high 70s to the low 70s. According to AIDA, the CPU package is drawing 92w of power and the core voltage is 1.168v. I am not running an overclock.

In terms of the configuration, I am using EKWB's CPU block.

I made sure...

- to install the rubber padding between the rear bracket and the motherboard

- the rear bracket is oriented correctly

- to tighten the nuts on the front all the way (and there are springs inside/under the nuts)

- to install the appropriate jetplate for my CPU according to the manual

- that the loop flows from the "in" side of the block to the "out" side

I should also note that the GPU runs at 42 C on the same loop when stress testing so it isn't an issue with water flow. This issue has been baffling me for days now and I thought maybe someone here might be able to help.

9 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Poorly applied thermal compound perhaps?

I applied an ample amount of thermal grizzly's kryonaut thermal paste in a x pattern.

7 minutes ago, asus killer said:

the CPU block not properly mounted or tighten 

That's possible, although I made sure I mounted the block the same way the instructions recommended and I see no indication that would suggest improper mounting. If it is improperly mounted, how would I go about verifying the issue and resolving it? I'd prefer to not drain my loop and reapply new thermal compound on a suspicion.

37 minutes ago, Keco185 said:

I applied an ample amount of thermal grizzly's kryonaut thermal paste in a x pattern.

That's possible, although I made sure I mounted the block the same way the instructions recommended and I see no indication that would suggest improper mounting. If it is improperly mounted, how would I go about verifying the issue and resolving it? I'd prefer to not drain my loop and reapply new thermal compound on a suspicion.

Your steps didn't include "peeling off the sticker on the back on the cpu block" but I'm going to assume that isnt the issue here. Specifically for kryonaut, I was always under the impression that it is a particularly thick thermal paste that had to be spread manually.

As a starting point though, you could see if you can just screw the block on a bit tighter. Otherwise a dissassembly and investigation of thermal compound spread is absolutely necessary to diagnose further. 

http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/images/downloads/TG-ApplicationShortGuide.pdf

Too hot according to what? 

The correct inlet being used on the block?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I completely misinterpretted the OP post, the temps might be just fine. Depends on how much radiator space you have. In my custom loop Ncase M1 build with a 8700K (at "stock", no overclock but with MCE on) + 1080Ti with a 360 mm slim (30 mm) radiator the CPU was 75 degrees and GPU was 54 degrees during a Realbench stress test.

So basically the question remains, how much radiator do you have.

70+ c in aida is totally reasonable

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

5 hours ago, For Science! said:

Your steps didn't include "peeling off the sticker on the back on the cpu block" but I'm going to assume that isnt the issue here

Yes I did take the sticker off. I’m unable to  tighten the nuts further so I will probably go and disassemble.

5 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Too hot according to what? 

The correct inlet being used on the block?

Considering the fact that the CPU is at stock, I would expect lower temperatures on water for AIDA 64. The temperatures I’m seeing would be on the high side even for Prime95.

there is an inlet and outlet port on CPU blocks. You’re supposed to ensure that fluids flows in the inlet and out the outlet as opposed to the reverse.

4 hours ago, For Science! said:

I completely misinterpretted the OP post, the temps might be just fine. Depends on how much radiator space you have. In my custom loop Ncase M1 build with a 8700K (at "stock", no overclock but with MCE on) + 1080Ti with a 360 mm slim (30 mm) radiator the CPU was 75 degrees and GPU was 54 degrees during a Realbench stress test.

So basically the question remains, how much radiator do you have.

I use a 240x45mm radiator. That should be sufficient to keep the CPU cooler than what I’m seeing. I’ve had setups with 240x30mm rads that never went about 50c with stock clocks.

Still didn’t answer my questions. Where are you seeing temps for this cpu elsewhere that suggest this is high? Did you check the flow? I know they need to be in a certain direction, which is why I’m asking. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Keco185 said:

I use a 240x45mm radiator. That should be sufficient to keep the CPU cooler than what I’m seeing. I’ve had setups with 240x30mm rads that never went about 50c with stock clocks

Is your 8700K delidded? Even a stock delidded 8700K using a 240 mm radiator AIO goes to 60 degrees using Realbench (which I believe is more gentle than AIDA). Not sure whether the setups you speak of are also 8700Ks, but perhaps you can elaborate.

I know it's been a bit, but I wanted to put an update here. It seems that letting my computer sit for a week has improved thermals. Possibly because the thermal paste needed to setup? Anyway, temps are around 60C now in AIDA 64 which is closer to what I would expect from a stock clocked 8700k. At some point in the future I might de-lid it to improve that number.