Does keeping my laptop off for a few days harm it?

Go to solution Solved by themctipers,
Just now, DarthVader61425 said:

But I'm not using it? I'm also not charging it, how will removing the battery help?

yea you don't need to keep using it or opening it up every couple of days, the only thing you might get spooked about is windows updates

it'll slowly drain overtime, but very slowly. i have a nexus 5 battery that has drained from 80% to 73% in 4 months

1 minute ago, DarthVader61425 said:

Yeah think I'm good though since it's only a few days then I'll install all the updates.

for only a couple of days you really don't need to do anything special, just don't leave it at 0% and you'll be fine

So basically my whole question in the title, I have a laptop right now but I'm not using it much since I'm on vacation so if I left it off for a few days at a time will that have any effect on it? And opposite is it better to leave it off if I don't really want to use it because the whole reason I'm opening the laptop is for the sake of just running it. So should I keep it off until I need it or is it better to turn it on every other day?

keep it off, but charged at around 80%, and also in an area where it isn't too hot or too cold

if you can, remove the battery

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

keep it off, but charged at around 80%, and also in an area where it isn't too hot or too cold

if you can, remove the battery

But I'm not using it? I'm also not charging it, how will removing the battery help?

2 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Windows Update have problems if you keep it to long off (months). This can be solved with a offline updated but is annoying.

Yeah think I'm good though since it's only a few days then I'll install all the updates.

Just now, DarthVader61425 said:

yea you don't need to keep using it or opening it up every couple of days, the only thing you might get spooked about is windows updates

it'll slowly drain overtime, but very slowly. i have a nexus 5 battery that has drained from 80% to 73% in 4 months

for only a couple of days you really don't need to do anything special, just don't leave it at 0% and you'll be fine

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Battery degradation occurs with heat. Heat causes wear and tear. If you don't fully charge the battery, you can keep it lasting longer in terms of longevity (overall lifespan). That's just a note but anyways, leave the computer turned off if you aren't using it for a couple days. It's not like a car battery where you'll have to get the car running every once in a while just to get the fluids running through the pipes. Good question though.

There must be some magical schmoo that burns off during storage from the manufacture to the store, to the store to your home that I just don't know about...

...cuz this was never a concern of mine.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic