Help purchasing a card to expand my SATA ports for extra HDDs

Visual Hudson

I've run out of SATA ports on my motherboard and need to add more HDD space. I've recently bought another 4TB WD Black HDD but as of right now have no way of connecting it to my computer. I'm getting a bit confused when trying to find the best PCIe card to buy so that I can throw this drive in my rig. 

I'm not looking at using RAID at the moment, so that's not a priority. It's something I may consider later down the road, but as of right now that's not what I'm looking for.

I'd prefer as many SATA 3 6GB/s ports as possible, as I imagine that I'll be needing to purchase more HDDs in the future. I've seen them with 2, 4 and more ports. But surely the read / write speeds will slow the more drives you have running off of one card? Or am I totally wrong? 

I'm from the UK if anyone can direct me towards any particular models / good deals?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure if it should go here or in the Servers & NAS sub-forum. 

I have found this. I'm not sure if you'll run in to bottleneck with this. Since you aren't running a raid setup it shouldn't be a problem since you aren't hitting mutible disks at the same time.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've seen those on Amazon, but I'm dubious because there's thirteen different models all listed with the same set of reviews and Q&As, so you don't really know how good the one you choose to buy actually is. If that makes sense?

They're also like no-name brands so who knows what you're going to get.

I'm not against having a card that would allow to RAID later down the line, so if that was a feature that could be handy, but as I say it's certainly not a priority right now. I just need to get this HDD into my case! haha

3 minutes ago, Visual Hudson said:

I've seen those on Amazon, but I'm dubious because there's thirteen different models all listed with the same set of reviews and Q&As, so you don't really know how good the one you choose to buy actually is. If that makes sense?

They're also like no-name brands so who knows what you're going to get.

I'm not against having a card that would allow to RAID later down the line, so if that was a feature that could be handy, but as I say it's certainly not a priority right now. I just need to get this HDD into my case! haha

In that case I'll search some more and come back later! :D 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Visual Hudson said:

Awesome, thanks for all your help! 

I knew this would be the place to come for this kind of help :)

Always happy to help! :) B|

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok, so I searched for a bit... It turns out it's really hard to be sure that the product is quality. I think the card that i found before is OK or something like it. Sorry I couldn't do better. -_-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Am I correct in thinking that the card you linked before wouldn't do RAID if I later wanted it too? 

If I want to do RAID later on, do I need to buy a RAID card? If I did buy a RAID card, can I choose to not use RAID until I later wanted to and just use it in the mean time as a PCIe SATA card?

On 1/27/2018 at 10:20 AM, Visual Hudson said:

Am I correct in thinking that the card you linked before wouldn't do RAID if I later wanted it too? 

If I want to do RAID later on, do I need to buy a RAID card? If I did buy a RAID card, can I choose to not use RAID until I later wanted to and just use it in the mean time as a PCIe SATA card?

Sorry for the late response. This spec sheet says it can do software RAID so your should be able to do RAID without a additional card. image.png.8513d573fb5d69a82268cceb4b6a773b.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i would just get a SATA HBA card . alot of the ones ive looked at when i was looking to get a PCI card arnt very good unless you willing to spend alot or go with SAS gear from servers. also with a HBA if the card dies you just get another or attach the drives back to the pc and they work again since its just passing everything attached to it to the cpu to figure out what to do .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS