Reused hdd's boot errors

ChokeShot GG
Go to solution Solved by Thunderzzu,
1 minute ago, ChokeShot GG said:

That's what i thought but sadly for some reason the ssd is running windows 7 and my previous build was running windows 10 and whenever i hook up the hdd's and i set the ssd as the boot priority it keeps booting on windows 10 

Ahh i see. You have installed the windows 7 in BIOS mode while your HDDs are booting UEFI mode. Since you have the motherboard set to run UEFI, it only really sees the HDDs and never the SSD. Disable UEFI booting and disable secure boot, enable CSM and try again. Or as i said, disable the booting of the HDD and see if you get an error for no boot drive found. If the error pops up, you have BIOS mode disabled

Hey guys,

so long story short i just finished my new build but i only bought a 500gb ssd for it and i definetely need more space so i thought i'd reuse my 2 1tb wd hdd's from my previous build so after i finished setting up my computer i connected the hdd's too so i can format them and run them in raid 1 just the hdd's so i could use the ssd for performance and hdd's for storage but the computer just won't let me boot from my ssd for some reason because i have software on the hdd's and i already tried setting the ssd as the first option or just choosing to boot from the ssd but the computer just won't let me , if i connected the hdd's to my previous build and i totally formatted the one hdd that i used only for storage and i deleted system 32 and stuff from the other one and then connected them onto the computer would they stop getting prioritize for boot , or is there another way to go about this? Any help is appreciated because this is the only thing setting me back from finally getting over with this build!

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

PC SPECS: 

Spoiler

CPU: i5-7600K | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS STRIX Z270E | GPU:ASUS Geforce GTX1070 STRIX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 | CASE: Corsair Graphite Series 760T | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GQ | DISPLAY : HP Pavilion 22xi x3 | HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue x2 SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO COOLING:Noctua NH-D14

Peripherals : 

Spoiler

HEADSET: Logitech G430 | MOUSE : Logitech G502 | MOUSEPAD : Razer Goliathus | KEYBOARD: Corsair K65| 

6 minutes ago, ChokeShot GG said:

Hey guys,

so long story short i just finished my new build but i only bought a 500gb ssd for it and i definetely need more space so i thought i'd reuse my 2 1tb wd hdd's from my previous build so after i finished setting up my computer i connected the hdd's too so i can format them and run them in raid 1 just the hdd's so i could use the ssd for performance and hdd's for storage but the computer just won't let me boot from my ssd for some reason because i have software on the hdd's and i already tried setting the ssd as the first option or just choosing to boot from the ssd but the computer just won't let me , if i connected the hdd's to my previous build and i totally formatted the one hdd that i used only for storage and i deleted system 32 and stuff from the other one and then connected them onto the computer would they stop getting prioritize for boot , or is there another way to go about this? Any help is appreciated because this is the only thing setting me back from finally getting over with this build!

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

If you've set the correct boot order in BIOS/UEFI, the HDD's can't force the motherboard to boot them instead of the SSD's. Check your BIOS/UEFI again. You can also disable ports from booting, so you could disable everything but the SSD to be 100% sure they wont start booting.

Don't forget to quote when replying to me

5 minutes ago, Thunderzzu said:

If you've set the correct boot order in BIOS/UEFI, the HDD's can't force the motherboard to boot them instead of the SSD's. Check your BIOS/UEFI again. You can also disable ports from booting, so you could disable everything but the SSD to be 100% sure they wont start booting.

That's what i thought but sadly for some reason the ssd is running windows 7 and my previous build was running windows 10 and whenever i hook up the hdd's and i set the ssd as the boot priority it keeps booting on windows 10 

PC SPECS: 

Spoiler

CPU: i5-7600K | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS STRIX Z270E | GPU:ASUS Geforce GTX1070 STRIX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 | CASE: Corsair Graphite Series 760T | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GQ | DISPLAY : HP Pavilion 22xi x3 | HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue x2 SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO COOLING:Noctua NH-D14

Peripherals : 

Spoiler

HEADSET: Logitech G430 | MOUSE : Logitech G502 | MOUSEPAD : Razer Goliathus | KEYBOARD: Corsair K65| 

Ahh i see. You have installed the windows 7 in BIOS mode while your HDDs are booting UEFI mode. Since you have the motherboard set to run UEFI, it only really sees the HDDs and never the SSD. Disable UEFI booting and disable secure boot, enable CSM and try again. Or as i said, disable the booting of the HDD and see if you get an error for no boot drive found. If the error pops up, you have BIOS mode disabled

You could make a bootable USB of gparted or a linux distro, disconnect your SSD, boot from the USB and delete the HDDs completely.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

7 minutes ago, Thunderzzu said:

Okay so i connected the hdd's did what you told me to booted from the ssd now i'm running the os from the ssd i opened disk management found my disks and i already finished my raid setup! Thanks a lot for the help!!

PC SPECS: 

Spoiler

Peripherals : 

Spoiler

Okay so i connected the hdd's did what you told me to booted from the ssd now i'm running the os from the ssd i opened disk management found my disks and i already finished my raid setup! Thanks a lot for the help!!

Glad i could help! These are some really nasty tricks for people to try to debug. It would be great if manufacturers just made a warning screen that the motherboard detected a BIOS OS besides the UEFI one and ask you what you want to do instead of letting the person figure out what's happening