NEEDING UPGRADE ADVICE!!

SOMEDOOD1997
Go to solution Solved by Hugsy Malone,
On 1/24/2018 at 11:46 PM, SOMEDOOD1997 said:

I have been debating whether I should get a new PC with the Ryzen 5 1600 paired with my current 380X or just get a 1070/580 off eBay for more than the MSRP. MY current CPU is a FX 8320 OC'ed to 4.3GHZ. PLS HALP!

I think the current gpu market has made the decision for you..
A 1600 would be ~40% faster in single threaded perf that your FX, so it will certainly make a difference in gaming, and the prices are pretty good. A 380x is still a good card for 1080p gaming, I'd upgrade your cpu platform, and then wait to see if the gpu market will sort itself out. 

I have been debating whether I should get a new PC with the Ryzen 5 1600 paired with my current 380X or just get a 1070/580 off eBay for more than the MSRP. MY current CPU is a FX 8320 OC'ed to 4.3GHZ. PLS HALP!

Dude, although a new pc is the way to go read read read before you do. I went with the ryzen 5 and asrock x370 taichi and i thought i was prepared. Wrong wrong wrong!! If you even considering windows 7 i dont know what to tell you then. So many bugs no matter which OS and so few knowledgable answers. Everyone has an opinion and they are all right and most of them wrong. Youll want a good graphics though cause support or drivers are gonna be even harder to find with microsoft putting the squeeze on vendors about OS'S. Im two weeks in and still not what id consider a stable dual boot and have more to install. Good luck tho! 

Maybe just dont upgrade your gpu yet... and if you can wait a little bit more for ryzen+ and upgrade your cpu with a "cheap" ryzen 5 1600. Oh and you will have to upgrade ram too right ? So yeah maybe wait a little bit to see if gpu or ram prices drop .... dont make rushed decisions right now

14 minutes ago, Cazan said:

Maybe just dont upgrade your gpu yet... and if you can wait a little bit more for ryzen+ and upgrade your cpu with a "cheap" ryzen 5 1600. Oh and you will have to upgrade ram too right ? So yeah maybe wait a little bit to see if gpu or ram prices drop .... dont make rushed decisions right now

Currently, I do have a AM4 system in my Amazon cart. (All together only $650)

I feel like I could still survive with my FX A little bit longer but knowing it's capacity is limited, maybe a GPU would improve its lifespan?

If your 8320 rig is doing what you want it to do then keep it. I know we always want more but if it ain't broke don't fix it. Also my 8320/7950 rig is still running strong in my garage!

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

10 hours ago, SOMEDOOD1997 said:

Currently, I do have a AM4 system in my Amazon cart. (All together only $650)

I feel like I could still survive with my FX A little bit longer but knowing it's capacity is limited, maybe a GPU would improve its lifespan?

10 hours ago, Gix7Fifty said:

If your 8320 rig is doing what you want it to do then keep it. I know we always want more but if it ain't broke don't fix it. Also my 8320/7950 rig is still running strong in my garage!

i agree with this guy ! if it does what you want , you might as well save your money and wait for these dark times of absurd prices pass... maybe give a cleanup in your pc to give it  bit more life ... what do you do with your pc ? can you tell us ?

1 hour ago, Cazan said:

i agree with this guy ! if it does what you want , you might as well save your money and wait for these dark times of absurd prices pass... maybe give a cleanup in your pc to give it  bit more life ... what do you do with your pc ? can you tell us ?

I play a lot of Paragon, PUBG, And Fortnite and occasionally stream/record from time to time.

3 hours ago, SOMEDOOD1997 said:

I play a lot of Paragon, PUBG, And Fortnite and occasionally stream/record from time to time.

oh pugb and that streaming is quite demanding ^^' maybe clean it and turn down the settings if you need ... UNLESS you have the money to splash on i would upgrade mobo (amd b350) , cpu ( ryzen 5 1600 ) and 8 to 16 gb of ddr4 ram ... but if you are on a budget dont do it because it's an horrible and bad time to buy Ram .... its very expensive... if you can i would reccomend waitting a couple of months and see if prices settle down, if not save the money until then and uprade if you really feel the need

6 hours ago, remo said:

Sell ur car, your house and use ur next pay check to buy a 1080ti

Just woke up and this made me laugh.

7 hours ago, Cazan said:

oh pugb and that streaming is quite demanding ^^' maybe clean it and turn down the settings if you need ... UNLESS you have the money to splash on i would upgrade mobo (amd b350) , cpu ( ryzen 5 1600 ) and 8 to 16 gb of ddr4 ram ... but if you are on a budget dont do it because it's an horrible and bad time to buy Ram .... its very expensive... if you can i would reccomend waitting a couple of months and see if prices settle down, if not save the money until then and uprade if you really feel the need

Btw to let you know the ram price 169.99. Is that price still too high for ddr4 ram?

Ryzen + R9 380X.  Used a Ryzen 5 1400 + R9 380 and it gamed very well at 1080p.  PUBG runs pretty good at 1080p/high with the 380.

Many games ran noticeably faster than my old FX rig with the same card.

9 hours ago, SOMEDOOD1997 said:

Btw to let you know the ram price 169.99. Is that price still too high for ddr4 ram?

Is that 8gb or 16gb ? In what currency? Euros ? Dollars ? I guess if its 16gb in dollars its not that bad since here where i live, a 16gb kit can easy pass 200€ lol

As i said... thats a kind of a good deal , if you have the cash , upgrade cpu ram and mobo :)

On 1/25/2018 at 12:17 AM, Boomhauer said:

If you even considering windows 7

Ryzen isn't meant to support Win7 so what do you expect?

On 1/24/2018 at 11:46 PM, SOMEDOOD1997 said:

I think the current gpu market has made the decision for you..
A 1600 would be ~40% faster in single threaded perf that your FX, so it will certainly make a difference in gaming, and the prices are pretty good. A 380x is still a good card for 1080p gaming, I'd upgrade your cpu platform, and then wait to see if the gpu market will sort itself out. 

36 minutes ago, Cazan said:

Is that 8gb or 16gb ? In what currency? Euros ? Dollars ? I guess if its 16gb in dollars its not that bad since here where i live, a 16gb kit can easy pass 200€ lol

As i said... thats a kind of a good deal , if you have the cash , upgrade cpu ram and mobo :)

16gb for $169

Edited by SOMEDOOD1997

21 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Get an i5-8400, motherboard, and RAM, but use the 380X until the price of GPU's decreases some.

I think ryzen 5 would be better since I will be streaming, GAMING and editing most of the time. And plus it has more threads.

26 minutes ago, SOMEDOOD1997 said:

16gb for $169

yep maybe bite the bullet if you have the cash and you feel the need.

24 minutes ago, SOMEDOOD1997 said:

I think ryzen 5 would be better since I will be streaming, GAMING and editing most of the time. And plus it has more threads.

i agree with you , ryzen 5 1600 would be a better option since you stream and for the i5 there are not many cheap motherboards out there yet. plus you can find really good deals on the r5 1600. but dont upgrade your gpu yet.

35 minutes ago, SOMEDOOD1997 said:

You didn't mention streaming lol.  Ryzen is the better choice in that case.  However, I suggest you wait for Ryzen Refresh if possible.  It's the next line, and it's supposed to come out within the first quarter of this year.  Ryzen has some flaws (particularly single core performance), and they might be addressed.

If you can't wait that long, then the 1600 is the best choice.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You didn't mention streaming lol.  Ryzen is the better choice in that case.  However, I suggest you wait for Ryzen Refresh if possible.  It's the next line, and it's supposed to come out within the first quarter of this year.  Ryzen has some flaws (particularly single core performance), and they might be addressed.

If you can't wait that long, then the 1600 is the best choice.

I can but from what it seems like, Ryzen Refresh (R and R) will only improve power efficiency and clock speed. Honestly, if the CPU's IPC is as good as it gets then I don't have to worry.

4 hours ago, SOMEDOOD1997 said:

I can but from what it seems like, Ryzen Refresh (R and R) will only improve power efficiency and clock speed. Honestly, if the CPU's IPC is as good as it gets then I don't have to worry.

The clock speed on Ryzen kind of sucks as it is.  Ryzen Refresh could make a big difference.  Buyer's remorse is never fun.  Of course, waiting a couple months isn't either, but I think it's better than the risk of regret.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 25/01/2018 at 12:17 AM, Boomhauer said:

So many bugs no matter which OS

Windows 10, which is what is getting most of the support as being current and not almost 10 years old, runs perfectly fine with Ryzen...

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

On 1/24/2018 at 6:46 PM, SOMEDOOD1997 said:

Does your card give you the performance you're looking for?

Yes?  Don't upgrade.

No, but it's acceptable?  Wait a bit.

Not at all?  Upgrade