New to Crypto Currency Mining

I am extremely new to crypto currency mining.I just bought a 1080 for gaming and other video intensive processes and I was thinking about getting into crypto. I know if you don't do it right you wont be making any money, but that's not my concern. I just want to experiment with it and learn some more about it. My main question is is it bad for your GPU. Now obviously it isn't good, but I got an EVGA gtx FTW 1080  card and it actually mines fairly well. I tested it out for about 20-30 min. My temps weren't terrible at first when i was using the stock fan curve. They were bouncing between 74-75 degrees Celsius. But when I turned the fans all the way up it was sitting at around 45-50. Temps are the killer right? My fans running at a 100% is going to effect the longevity of them also. But, if my temps are good it should be fine to turn on for an hour or two while i'm at school or work. I would like some feedback and I want to know if my thinking is correct. Thanks!

It seems to be working fine for me. I downloaded a free mining software called Nicehash, and that runs all day with an ancient GTX 470 and an i7 4790S, both of which haven't been re-pasted in years. They still get decent temps on a stock cooler, and earn me *sigh* less than €1 daily. Still, they run for hours while i'm at school, and heat the upper floor of my house as a bonus. You have a brand new card, with a brand new paste and cooler, so it should be grand. 

If you think it could still be even better, download Speedfan to moderate fan speeds and monitor temps more accurately.

I would try to find the perfect balance between temps and fan speeds. If you can maintain around 70C with less than 70% fans, then it's pretty good. Keeping fans too high will run through their expected life time faster, and higher temps of course will wear down the gpu components faster. Also make sure you have good airflow and can keep those low temps for extended periods of time. Temps might be higher after a few hours or days of mining 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Turn down the power limit mine is at 80% it runs cooler and doesn't affect mining performance and I even bumped up memory clock speeds which helps. Yes running fans at 100% will wear them out faster so I don't recommend it. Using Awesome miner I am getting $6.8 per day on Zpool ($205 a month currently) at 11 MH/s but like you I got the card for gaming so I don't want to run it 24/7. Assuming you make roughly what my 1080 does you should typically make about a quarter an hour before energy costs which really is not much unless you run it for long periods of time.

6 minutes ago, StillOnH81 said:

It seems to be working fine for me. I downloaded a free mining software called Nicehash, and that runs all day with an ancient GTX 470 and an i7 4790S, both of which haven't been re-pasted in years. They still get decent temps on a stock cooler, and earn me *sigh* less than €1 daily. Still, they run for hours while i'm at school, and heat the upper floor of my house as a bonus. You have a brand new card, with a brand new paste and cooler, so it should be grand. 

If you think it could still be even better, download Speedfan to moderate fan speeds and monitor temps more accurately.

2 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

I would try to find the perfect balance between temps and fan speeds. If you can maintain around 70C with less than 70% fans, then it's pretty good. Keeping fans too high will run through their expected life time faster, and higher temps of course will wear down the gpu components faster. Also make sure you have good airflow and can keep those low temps for extended periods of time. Temps might be higher after a few hours or days of mining 

Ya I have speed fan and I also had all the fans in my case at 100, but your right, I should find the perfect balance between fan speed and temps.