Does anybody else feel like Google is just becoming an inferior version of Apple? (Phones)

48Hz

I used to be a huge Google fan, but lately I have had some terrible experiences with their products. On top of that, they are imitating Apple's design choices when they used to mock them.

I used to have Project Fi, and I bought a Nexus 5x new from the Play store (this was after the european recall and somehow I never heard any information about it.). Used it for almost a year, decent phone by gimped by 2GB of RAM. Service was good, but expensive if you use more than 5GB a month. Still I was going to be a consistent customer. Until my 5X bootlooped within the warranty peroid. Hit up live support and they knew exactly what the issue was and offered a replacement. Then later they told me they couldn't because the plastic back panel (which is super easy to remove) was scratched and I replaced it with a new one. They told me because that back was removed that all warranty was removed. So I canceled my whole account and never looked back.

Now onto the second major issue, I have with them. The 2013 Pixel Chromebook. The most expensive, top of the line, officially google branded Chromebook that was artificially outmoded. For those who don't know, the 2013 is on a very very small list that did not receive any Android App support. Even though the hardware is more than capable and that it can be modded to work if you run ChromeOS on a flash drive. So every first party owner (I'm a second hand owner) who paid $1300 for a Pixel didn't even get the one update that the Pixel would've been perfect for.

Lastly, we have the removing the headphone jack issue. After berating apple with the Pixel phone marketing about it, they go and do the same exact thing. Google just hasn't really done anything good at all recently, they are making the same mistakes Apple are, but without the eco system.

Hi

Thread title is shit. At least, Add the word phone in there  so people don't assume you're talking about web browsers.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

I don't think Google is aiming to lead the hardware market. They are a giant in what really matters right now: AI and cloud. 

Apple and Google cannot be compared. 

I would almost say that Google size and growth should scare consumers and governements as their bargaining power increases. The amount of data they will and currently have and can process is astounding. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Basically any LG manufactured phone at that time had bootlooping issues. But the back panel thing is dumb.

Chromebooks that cost more than $250 are dumb and the fact that anyone bought one without dual booting some other OS is dumb by itself imo.

I own a Pixel XL, it’s pretty great, can’t say anything about the Pixel 2 though.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Google does great with their Chromebooks. They are the devices for internet people. If you don't use MS Office, don't do production, don't do anything useful on an electronic device, then a Chromebook is for you. You might "care" about app support... However, in my consumer tech service experience, I have found that the majority of people who have purchased a Chromebook use it for Social Media. the old people or low income individual(s) who just want to use it for social media purposes. Facebook, Twitter, etc... They don't use apps because they aren't interested. They use Google Chrome browser to go to websites and follow FB streams. The best part? Viruses. These are the user base who click on random links. Google Chrome can auto wipe itself and restore itself to remove anything that tries to mess with its OS. Great for those tech-inept people.

On the "hardware" side.. Google doesn't do anything. They don't make hardware. They don't make processors or anything else. They sell their own Pixel phone, yes.. However, that's about it. It's just another Android alternative. I really don't need a pixel because I have no use for it. Nor do I want an iPhone because i don't like the functionality of it.

I don't think Google is falling off due to any of that. Instead, my issue of Google is their fake attempt to make consumers think that their information is protected because Google cares. In actuality, Google makes money off the user base. Don't buy their phones. No issues. They still make money off of you because you most likely use at least one of their online services. They want your information. It's easier if you have their phone. Otherwise, they have other means.

Not at all. It’s different products for different use cases. You can’t compare cabbages and Apples 

9 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Basically any LG manufactured phone at that time had bootlooping issues. But the back panel thing is dumb.

Chromebooks that cost more than $250 are dumb and the fact that anyone bought one without dual booting some other OS is dumb by itself imo.

I own a Pixel XL, it’s pretty great, can’t say anything about the Pixel 2 though.

Where did I say what I spent and that I don't use another OS?

I paid $270 for it and I use crouton to run Ubuntu on it. It's good for that, but it would be great with Android app support.

Hi

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 2:34 PM, ShadowTechXTS said:

Then prepare yourself for Pixelbook...

EDIT: Too late.

Edited by TopHatProductions115