G-SYNC question

ManOfDisguise

The difference is 3D was an entirely different technology, to address something that nobody really cared about. This is addressing an issue a LOT of people complain about. Tearing.

This statement is a simple availability heuristic. You can think of many people that hate tearing and the likes, which makes sense as you'd know a gamer or two, and therefore you'd quantify them as "a LOT". Yet if you think on a global scale, it's a very very very very very minor problem. And the global scale is what will make it a standard.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

This statement is a simple availability heuristic. You can think of many people that hate tearing and the likes, which makes sense as you'd know a gamer or two, and therefore you'd quantify them as "a LOT". Yet if you think on a global scale, it's a very very very very very minor problem. And the global scale is what will make it a standard.

To say that tearing isnt complained about often is kind of insane. I get calls from friends complaining that their monitor is broken. I here complaints about it over.. Very... Specific.. Source games... But wouldnt you agree that getting rid of any technological issue with gaming is a good thing?

To say that tearing isnt complained about often is kind of insane. I get calls from friends complaining that their monitor is broken. I here complaints about it over.. Very... Specific.. Source games... But wouldnt you agree that getting rid of any technological issue with gaming is a good thing?

It certainly was a good thing. Never said it wasn't don't get me wrong here. I'm just saying that tearing on the scale needed to have people like Samsung, Sony, LG and the likes build G.Synch or an equivalent into their products is as minor as it can get.

You feel as it's being complained alot about. You're being on a tech forum, and gaming with like-minded people. Which will make recalling incidents of compalints more easily and therefore seems plausible to be a great issue. Yet, Person XY on the street will not even know what tearing is. Or refresh rate, or FPS or even Nvidia. And random guy XY is who you want to target with something that is supposed to get big. The enthusiast market is very small. Intel is already shitting on it, and AMD has delayed new FXes aswell. Cause there simply isn't enough profit to make. And that's precisely what's going to happen to G.Synch. Some enthusiasts will buy it, then it will die or stay a niche product.

It certainly was a good thing. Never said it wasn't don't get me wrong here. I'm just saying that tearing on the scale needed to have people like Samsung, Sony, LG and the likes build G.Synch or an equivalent into their products is as minor as it can get.

You feel as it's being complained alot about. You're being on a tech forum, and gaming with like-minded people. Which will make recalling incidents of compalints more easily and therefore seems plausible to be a great issue. Yet, Person XY on the street will not even know what tearing is. Or refresh rate, or FPS or even Nvidia. And random guy XY is who you want to target with something that is supposed to get big. The enthusiast market is very small. Intel is already shitting on it, and AMD has delayed new FXes aswell. Cause there simply isn't enough profit to make. And that's precisely what's going to happen to G.Synch. Some enthusiasts will buy it, then it will die or stay a niche product.

They dont know what tearing is from a technology side of it, but they notice choppy looking games. I dont think it will die or stay a niche product. I cant see why it wouldnt come equipped in most new monitors 5 years from now. There isnt a single downside to it. Literally only good stuff. The main cost to it was R&D. Which, while it isnt done, it is functional.

They dont know what tearing is from a technology side of it, but they notice it. I dont think it will die or stay a niche product. I cant see why it wouldnt come equipped in most new monitors 5 years from now. There isnt a single downside to it. Literally only good stuff.

Well some downsides I can think of:

Locked down to Nvidia eco-system. [if it becomes big, great for Nvidia, bad for the consumer as choices have been /3]

Royalities the manufacturer has to pay to Nvidia is ultimately payed by the consumer -> Price premium.

Is pointless to spend the extra cash on something that will not influence your TV / Movie experience in the slightest, which still is the main reason people buy TVs.

^^

Well some downsides I can think of:

Locked down to Nvidia eco-system. [if it becomes big, great for Nvidia, bad for the consumer as choices have been /3]

Royalities the manufacturer has to pay to Nvidia is ultimately payed by the consumer -> Price premium.

Is pointless to spend the extra cash on something that will not influence your TV / Movie experience in the slightest, which still is the main reason people buy TVs.

^^

I'm sorry... Who was talking about TVs? Not many people who go out to buy TVs look at monitors. 

Yeah being nvidia specific is kind of awful. Cant imagine price premium lasting that long, monitors always go down. Always.

I'm sorry... Who was talking about TVs? Not many people who go out to buy TVs look at monitors. 

Yeah being nvidia specific is kind of awful. Cant imagine price premium lasting that long, monitors always go down. Always.

Linus did. "TVs, and Smartphones" and perhaps even his wife xD

Joking aside, especially if it stays locked to Pc-Monitors it will vanish quickly. Random User X will update his monitor every X amount of years it takes for his monitor to die. And PC sales are shrinking, people buy laptops, and most of them run on Intel GPUs as they're not used / suited for gaming anyways. Ultrabooks and Tablets used for productivity and media consumption do not profit from it and manufacturers will not have a reason to push up their production costs due to royalities that'd reflect upon the retail price of the product, which people are very greedy about.

Linus did. "TVs, and Smartphones" and perhaps even his wife xD

Joking aside, especially if it stays locked to Pc-Monitors it will vanish quickly. Random User X will update his monitor every X amount of years it takes for his monitor to die. And PC sales are shrinking, people buy laptops, and most of them run on Intel GPUs as they're not used / suited for gaming anyways. Ultrabooks and Tablets used for productivity and media consumption do not profit from it and manufacturers will not have a reason to push up their production costs due to royalities that'd reflect upon the retail price of the product, which people are very greedy about.

Oh I haven't watched that video at all. I only read reviews, I'll check it out.

I can't agree. I don't see it going away. It is nothing but solid technology that provides an answer to an issue people DO hate: tearing. I see it being integrated with every new monitor a few years from now, I can't see any reason it would disappear. It isn't gimmicky, it solves an issue people dislike, it actually increases performance by making lows in fps more smooth.... Why would it disappear? PC sales may be shrinking but PC gaming as a whole is actually at an all time high.

Oh I haven't watched that video at all. I only read reviews, I'll check it out.

I can't agree. I don't see it going away. It is nothing but solid technology that provides an answer to an issue people DO hate: tearing. I see it being integrated with every new monitor a few years from now, I can't see any reason it would disappear. It isn't gimmicky, it solves an issue people dislike, it actually increases performance by making lows in fps more smooth.... Why would it disappear? PC sales may be shrinking but PC gaming as a whole is actually at an all time high.

As I said, it sounds like a solid technology. But appart from the gamer-market it's not appealing and especially from a business standpoint it doesn't make much sense to implement.

This fangirling is gross. Srsly.

As I said, it sounds like a solid technology. But appart from the gamer-market it's not appealing and especially from a business standpoint it doesn't make much sense to implement.

This fangirling is gross. Srsly.

I am not addressing his fangirling. I have not seen the video. I am literally ONLY talking about the gamer market. As for not making sense to implement it... A lot of people are holding onto their current monitors... Equipping new ones with this gives them a reason to buy

I am not addressing his fangirling. I have not seen the video. I am literally ONLY talking about the gamer market. As for not making sense to implement it... A lot of people are holding onto their current monitors... Equipping new ones with this gives them a reason to buy

It will sell to a certain poin tin the gamer market. Noone is doubting that. What I was refering to was Linus' statement about how soon his wife, his car and his baby will run on G.Synch. And since I assumed that you've seen the vid, I kinda got confused, as if you were defending Linus' statements in this video, you'd be extremely unrealistic.

So to conclude:

- For the game / enthusiast market, sounds great.

- Imho will not last very long, but has the capability to become somewhat of a standard within the enthusiast market.

^^

It will sell to a certain poin tin the gamer market. Noone is doubting that. What I was refering to was Linus' statement about how soon his wife, his car and his baby will run on G.Synch. And since I assumed that you've seen the vid, I kinda got confused, as if you were defending Linus' statements in this video, you'd be extremely unrealistic.

So to conclude:

- For the game / enthusiast market, sounds great.

- Imho will not last very long, but has the capability to become somewhat of a standard within the enthusiast market.

^^

I'm only talking about gamers. 

If it becomes a standard it will last long. It is good technology. Can't imagining it not becoming a standard.

I hadn't watched Linus' video yet. I still haven't. I don't think it will be, or needs to be, implemented in literally every single little thing. Although I would actually like it in TVs, I don't see that as nearly as important as intractable media, like games.

im sorry to hijack the thread but my question is about G-Sync linus said in video Q1 2014 is that a world wide release or north America 

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

If you are very well versed in soldering and know what you are doing, I don't see why not.