Hobo PC Master Race Budget

Recently gave one of my plebian console friends an old dell inspron 560s I frankenstined with a gtx 460 and a mix of ram

becasue thats all I had laying around.

and hes been wanting to play with me and my PC Master Race friends.

handles light and medium gaming no problem. But it doesnt handle AAA titles and arma in multiplayer situations.

Current Specs 

CPU- Pentium D e5800

GPU-Asus GTX 460 1Gb

Memory-3x1Gb Modules of mixed speed running at 1066

-yeah yeah dont mix kits lol I know. I mean come on the title people 

im well versed in building PCs for new and modern system. 

"A true master is an eternal student"

But just looking for some insight in older equipment and retired server equipment

and not exactly sure what im looking for 

Currently looking at i7 950.

Only looking for 

-Motherboard

-CPU 

-and a matched kit for RAM if budget allows 

Budget $300

Purpose - Gaming 

doesnt care for what it looks like just wants smooth frames

Requirements: 

-4 cores minimum 

- Good Single Core Performance 

He will mainly be playing arma 3 and single core performance is important

-If possible ATX form factor so it fits in the case he already has 

EDIT 1-17-18 2220 Not opposed to new hardware but looking for the most powerful price to performance CPU that we can find. 

Ryzen 3 1200
AB350 Motherboard
2x4gb DDR4 2400

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KpyjVY

That only hits $250

If you can go a little over budget, toss in a GT1030 video card, and you'll get better performance and only come out to about $325  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716ZH99K/?tag=pcpapi-20

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

5 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Ryzen 3 1200
AB350 Motherboard
2x4gb DDR4 2400

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KpyjVY

That only hits $250

If you can go a little over budget, toss in a GT1030 video card, and you'll get better performance and only come out to about $325  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716ZH99K/?tag=pcpapi-20

Lol I didn't even acknowledge new hardware when he told me $300. Didnt realize it was that cheap xD

Just now, AllHopeLost said:

Lol I didn't even acknowledge new hardware when he told me $300. Didnt realize it was that cheap xD

A Ryzen 3 machine with 8gb and a 1030 would bring 720p high settings for most AAA titles, or 1080p on low.  

AMD has always been the budget king, and right now the budget kings don't suck!  

Here's a video of ARMA 3 on a 1300x (slightly faster than the 1200, but I would expect no more than a few FPS less with the 1200)

Main Rig:

IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

I build low-end gaming rigs for people all the time (as part of my business).  Nothing like a sub-$600 total machine that can do everything the average joe schmo wants :)

Main Rig:

5 minutes ago, AllHopeLost said:

It's about on par with ivy bridge in clock per clock speed, although it does not oc as good 4.0-4.1 is usually all you can get on a stable oc if you are lucky.

Edit: I would get ram you think can oc to about 3000+ if you can find it decent also get a case and power supply and wait on getting a gpu until things calm down or you save up some more money would be my advice that way you can get at least a 1050 for a decent price.

Save more money and you can buy much better components. 500 dollars will be better

2 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

A Ryzen 3 machine with 8gb and a 1030 would bring 720p high settings for most AAA titles, or 1080p on low.  

Here's a video of ARMA 3 on a 1300x (slightly faster than the 1200, but I would expect no more than a few FPS less with the 1200)

I sure hope you aren't recommending a GT 1030.  That thing is garbage compared to the price. It's weaker than a GTX 750 and costs significantly more than a used one.

@AllHopeLost Stop looking at new stuff. The only things I would strongly suggest you buy new are a HDD, PSU, and SSD.  Get this and find a used GTX 750 Ti (shop locally for those, use letgo and OfferUp) and a Tier 3 PSU from this list.  If the budget allows, buy a 120GB SSD.  Sell the parts you scrap.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I sure hope you aren't recommending a GT 1030.  That thing is garbage compared to the price. It's weaker than a GTX 750 and costs significantly more than a used one.

@AllHopeLost Stop looking at new stuff. The only things I would strongly suggest you buy new are a HDD, PSU, and SSD.  Get this and find a used GTX 750 Ti (shop locally for those, use letgo and OfferUp) and a Tier 3 PSU from this list.  If the budget allows, buy a 120GB SSD.  Sell the parts you scrap.

I much prefer new (or factory refurbished) parts, with warranties and RMA support.  Given the budget, the 1030 is the best option.

I've had nothing but bad luck with used GPU's (personally) in the past.  So, I refuse to gamble again.  Two GTX 480's and one GTX 580 died on me within two weeks of purchasing used.  Your mileage may vary, and I don't judge those willing to buy used, but I'll never personally recommend a used GPU.

Main Rig:

what's your current PSU? is the ram ddr3?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, zombienerd said:

Iv did some looking on ryzen 3 1200 on performance for arma 3 but most people do videos on that exact scenario and its massively different from multiplayer especially in high pop servers like 110. you can even see high end rigs with top line graphics card to its knees on multiplayer. granted people will argue how bad or great this game was made and how it runs but im just looking for the most cost effective and powerful cpu for arma. 

1 hour ago, combine1237 said:

It's about on par with ivy bridge in clock per clock speed, although it does not oc as good 4.0-4.1 is usually all you can get on a stable oc if you are lucky.

Edit: I would get ram you think can oc to about 3000+ if you can find it decent also get a case and power supply and wait on getting a gpu until things calm down or you save up some more money would be my advice that way you can get at least a 1050 for a decent price.

saving more money for the budget is almost impossible for him. Hes a broke college student. He'd have money for the a better pc saved up by the time he graduates xD . same reason @JasonStrafes

1 hour ago, JasonStrafes said:

Save more money and you can buy much better components. 500 dollars will be better

59 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

I much prefer new (or factory refurbished) parts, with warranties and RMA support.  Given the budget, the 1030 is the best option.

I've had nothing but bad luck with used GPU's (personally) in the past.  So, I refuse to gamble again.  Two GTX 480's and one GTX 580 died on me within two weeks of purchasing used.  Your mileage may vary, and I don't judge those willing to buy used, but I'll never personally recommend a used GPU.

I feel you with second hand/ used hardware but hey its a gamble. and its what ever your comfortable with some guys just keep buying used stuff and breaks on them till they find the golden apple. where are not opposed to getting new hardware. But where just trying to find the best deal for whatever we can get. CPU is absolutely critical tho cause the main game he would be playing is arma and its cpu intensive  

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

As for a GPU the GTX 460 holds up and he's fine with sticking with it cause he doesn't see any problem with it. we where thinking that later on he can save up for a mid tier card near future so he can still use it in a full upgrade build later on. 

15 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

what's your current PSU? is the ram ddr3?

PSU is 460 watts and has two 6 pin power connectors its an old antec power supply.

RAM-there is a just a mix of DDR3 ram modules running at 1033 

1 hour ago, AllHopeLost said:

As for a GPU the GTX 460 holds up and he's fine with sticking with it cause he doesn't see any problem with it. we where thinking that later on he can save up for a mid tier card near future so he can still use it in a full upgrade build later on. 

Then get the SSD, PSU, and possibly a bigger HDD.  You'll get great performance out of it.  You're getting an i7 and 12GB of RAM.  You can sell the old GPU, PSU, and case for like $50 too.

2 hours ago, zombienerd said:

Your bad luck doesn't justify a waste of money.  Price to performance it's horrible.  Graphics cards and CPU's generally don't go bad aside from physical damage.  I just bought a 750 Ti in great condition for $50, and it kicks the 1030's ass for $20 less.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Your bad luck doesn't justify a waste of money. 

If your used card dies, THAT is the waste of money.  I spent over 500 bucks on used cards that died within weeks, and could have purchased a brand new 780 with that money at the time.

Main Rig:

6 hours ago, zombienerd said:

If your used card dies, THAT is the waste of money.  I spent over 500 bucks on used cards that died within weeks, and could have purchased a brand new 780 with that money at the time.

Then you got a shitty/malfunctioning PSU or you did something to break it.  GPU's and CPU's have so many safety features built in now that they don't get damaged.  Aside from dropping them, the only way one is going to break is from too much voltage.  There is nothing to protect them from too much voltage.  You are literally the first person I've ever heard of to get a bad GPU.

He'd be better off not getting a GPU than getting a GT 1030.  Throwing money down the toilet just to have something isn't a good idea.  If it HAS to be new (which it doesn't, that's just stupid), then saving up for a 1050 is the only reasonable choice.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Then you got a shitty/malfunctioning PSU or you did something to break it.  GPU's and CPU's have so many safety features built in now that they don't get damaged.  Aside from dropping them, the only way one is going to break is from too much voltage.  There is nothing to protect them from too much voltage.  You are literally the first person I've ever heard of to get a bad GPU.

Power supply was a 2010 model Corsair HX850.  Still alive today, and powering a GTX 780 in a friend's machine.  None of the cards were overclocked.  The twin 480's got horrible artifacts after two weeks of use.   Both reference blower-style fans were clean and ran properly. The 580 ran great for about a week, then flat out died.  System would not POST.  I ended up purchasing a brand new GTX 760, which ran in that machine for another year until I added a second 760 in SLI.  The system with those cards were both retired about three months ago, when I sold the PSU to my friend.

Literally the first person you've ever heard of having a GPU die?   I've seen 5 or six in the past three weeks on this forum.  Luckily most of them were under warranty, and they weren't bought used.

I get the appeal, and I understand the cost savings, but I refuse to gamble like that ever again.

Main Rig:

4 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Literally the first person you've ever heard of having a GPU die?   I've seen 5 or six in the past three weeks on this forum.

Link?

On 1/18/2018 at 7:52 AM, zombienerd said:

$500 for a used card. your better off buying a new card at that point.