I need help with a small problem

TacticalBigBoss

my motherboard has only one USB header and i have the asus ROG gaming panel and it uses the ONLY header on my board, a friend of mine gave me a usb3.0 to 2.0 wire adapter to use with the nzxt  internal usb hub but my PC does not pick it up at all and its not really working

here is the wire i got

https://www.amazon.com/SIENOC-USB3-0-Female-Motherboard-Adapter/dp/B00O0HC3Y0/ref=pd_cp_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00O0HC3Y0&pd_rd_r=WF17DP23M2EAS2TQNH91&pd_rd_w=9xNgj&pd_rd_wg=gX5ja&psc=1&refRID=WF17DP23M2EAS2TQNH91

i connected the ROG gaming panel to the usb header on the board and have the nzxt hub connect with this wire to the usb3.0 header

thanks in advance for the help!

Edit - This is my motherboard - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WI-FI AC)
https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Crosshair-VI-Hero-Motherboard/dp/B072LX7WLN/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516210546&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+ROG+crosshair+vi+hero+wifi

How many usb devices are you running?

Can't you just connect the internal hub to the usb 2 header and the gaming panel to the internal hub?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

22 minutes ago, keskparane said:

How many usb devices are you running?

Can't you just connect the internal hub to the usb 2 header and the gaming panel to the internal hub?

i cant because the wire from the gaming panel is all one piece and it connects to the usb2.0 and the rog ext

picture of the motherboard 
https://prnt.sc/i1t5b9

here is a picture of the wire 

https://prnt.sc/i1t834

How serious you wanna get? Here's what you could do. Cut the braid back from the MB end of the ROG cable. Slice through the empty pins holes in the connector to separate them. (This is best started from the rear where the wires enter and push straight down with the plug on a chopping board). You then have a Y-cable so you can put 1 plug to the ROG header and the other to the hub.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

10 minutes ago, keskparane said:

How serious you wanna get? Here's what you could do. Cut the braid back from the MB end of the ROG cable. Slice through the empty pins holes in the connector to separate them. (This is best started from the rear where the wires enter and push straight down with the plug on a chopping board). You then have a Y-cable so you can put 1 plug to the ROG header and the other to the hub.

The only unknown left is whether the ROG panel will be USB3 compatible, or will it have the same problem as the NXZT hub...

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The only unknown left is whether the ROG panel will be USB3 compatible, or will it have the same problem as the NXZT hub...

With the internal hub running off a USB 2 header there is no USB 3 in the equation.

57 minutes ago, keskparane said:

With the internal hub running off a USB 2 header there is no USB 3 in the equation.

Oh, I misread your suggestion :) 

3 hours ago, keskparane said:

that wont work.. look at this picture closer

3 hours ago, keskparane said:

i have a wire that goes into my 3.0 header on my MB and on the other end there is a male usb 2.0... i was told this would work but i cant get it to work.

4 hours ago, TacticalBigBoss said:

that wont work.. look at this picture closer

I looked at the picture. I am saying cut the connector where it spans the 2 headers. I realize that in the picture 17 spans a couple of pins on the USB header but that doesn't matter. As long as those pins are on a USB header it doesn't matter where it is.

I have drawn where to cut. _OLphTZeQMCQ97Nl0UB36g.png.ea043f14c7fa87a1ea53f48447548330.png

11 hours ago, keskparane said:

I looked at the picture. I am saying cut the connector where it spans the 2 headers. I realize that in the picture 17 spans a couple of pins on the USB header but that doesn't matter. As long as those pins are on a USB header it doesn't matter where it is.

I have drawn where to cut. _OLphTZeQMCQ97Nl0UB36g.png.ea043f14c7fa87a1ea53f48447548330.png

I wouldn't do this personally. It doesn't seem worth it. 

Are you actually talking about doing that to the mobo? did I misunderstand you maybe? I thought you were talking about the cable at first.

It doesn't seem worth voiding your warranty over or ruining the resale value of the board if that is what you meant.

7 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Are you actually talking about doing that to the mobo? did I misunderstand you maybe? I thought you were talking about the cable at first.

It doesn't seem worth voiding your warranty over or ruining the resale value of the board if that is what you meant.

Definitely not the motherboard.

I am showing him where the cable connector would need to be cut to make it into a Y cable.

7 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I am showing him where the cable connector would need to be cut to make it into a Y cable.

Lol okay good.

I was going to say, don't destroy a perfectly good Asus board! :P

Splitting the cable connector is fine as long as they know what they're doing,

but hey is there a cable you can buy for this instead? Maybe that'd be better for them :)

33 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

i tried to do that but the hub didn't pick up the gaming panel that's why i got this wire

https://www.amazon.com/SIENOC-USB3-0-Female-Motherboard-Adapter/dp/B00O0HC3Y0/ref=pd_cp_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00O0HC3Y0&pd_rd_r=WF17DP23M2EAS2TQNH91&pd_rd_w=9xNgj&pd_rd_wg=gX5ja&psc=1&refRID=WF17DP23M2EAS2TQNH91&tag=linus21-20

this wont work at all ? i cant connect one end into the usb 3.0 port and the other end into the usb hub and have it work that way ?

8 minutes ago, TacticalBigBoss said:

i tried to do that but the hub didn't pick up the gaming panel that's why i got this wire

https://www.amazon.com/SIENOC-USB3-0-Female-Motherboard-Adapter/dp/B00O0HC3Y0/ref=pd_cp_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00O0HC3Y0&pd_rd_r=WF17DP23M2EAS2TQNH91&pd_rd_w=9xNgj&pd_rd_wg=gX5ja&psc=1&refRID=WF17DP23M2EAS2TQNH91&tag=linus21-20

this wont work at all ? i cant connect one end into the usb 3.0 port and the other end into the usb hub and have it work that way ?

I'm not sure why that wouldn't work to be honest. I have no idea. It sounds like it should.

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I'm not sure why that wouldn't work to be honest. I have no idea. It sounds like it should.

i thought so but it wont pick up the HUB.. is it because its 3.0? i know some of my razer stuff does not work with all my usb 3.0 ports and i only have 4 in the back the front I/O usb 2.0 ports cant be used because of the ONLY 1 2.0 header on the board, i got the hub to connect the front ones and be able to use them... is there something in the bios i can set to make it act like a 2.0 instead of a 3.0 ? its the only thing i can think of but even that makes no sense... this whole problem is dumb...

12 minutes ago, TacticalBigBoss said:

i thought so but it wont pick up the HUB.. is it because its 3.0? i know some of my razer stuff does not work with all my usb 3.0 ports and i only have 4 in the back the front I/O usb 2.0 ports cant be used because of the ONLY 1 2.0 header on the board, i got the hub to connect the front ones and be able to use them... is there something in the bios i can set to make it act like a 2.0 instead of a 3.0 ? its the only thing i can think of but even that makes no sense... this whole problem is dumb...

It's probably a compatibility issue with the hub itself. Maybe try going through device manager and updating any drivers under USB. See if that helps. I know some motherboards have an option to turn off super-speed technology or something along those lines with USB 3.0 ports, but I'm pretty sure that's for the ports on the back and that it effects all of your USB 3.0 ports. I've heard of something like that before anyways, but I don't think it'd help.

Crap, now that I'm looking closer at the mobo, I remember something about how that ROG extension thing gets in the way of USB 2.0 front panel connections, but I can't for the life of me remember what the heck it was or how to avoid the problem.

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

It's probably a compatibility issue with the hub itself. Maybe try going through device manager and updating any drivers under USB. See if that helps. I know some motherboards have an option to turn off super-speed technology or something along those lines with USB 3.0 ports, but I'm pretty sure that's for the ports on the back and that it effects all of your USB 3.0 ports. I've heard of something like that before anyways, but I don't think it'd help.

i already turned the ROG gaming panel wire into a Y wire and was thinking of doing what you said.. plugging the ROG ext into the board and the other end to the HUB and the HUB into the only 2.0 usb header but i dont know if it will work and i dont want anything to happen to it by doing this.. i want to know for sure that someone has done this and it worked, im not sure someone has had this problem i looked around a little bit and didnt find anything.. maybe i didnt look hard enough 

1 minute ago, TacticalBigBoss said:

i already turned the ROG gaming panel wire into a Y wire and was thinking of doing what you said.. plugging the ROG ext into the board and the other end to the HUB and the HUB into the only 2.0 usb header but i dont know if it will work and i dont want anything to happen to it by doing this.. i want to know for sure that someone has done this and it worked, im not sure someone has had this problem i looked around a little bit and didnt find anything.. maybe i didnt look hard enough 

That's what keskparane was suggesting.

You should reply to them, because they seem to know more about this :)

1 hour ago, keskparane said: