Monitor arm for an ultrawide

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Sounds like a good idea. Might help with clearance since most the dual mount ones look to be paired together, which I imagine would make stacking difficult. Two single mounts allows some freedom between them.

Just need the right pole + some of those spring arm thingies. Although I guess just that to start with would be alright. I can scour eBay for a bit to see what it has.

It looks like the wall mount arms are the same arms as the ones on the dual arm mount you linked. They can be removed from the mount and there's bolts on the side that can be tightened or loosened to make it easier or harder to swing around. I recently took mine apart because I added a new monitor and needed the Duronic mount in a different place to make it work. It seems like the mounting is the same across all of them, so they should fit on the poles. 

The only thing I'm not sure on is how to stop them from sliding down the pole. It looks like most have little stoppers to prevent that, but I don't know if the poles or arms come with them. 

Based on the images from the DM45/DM55 compatible poles, it actually looks like the arms just clamp onto the pole rather than having any stopper. In that case, all you need is one of the poles and two of the wall mount arms and it should work fine. If you go with one of the extra long arms, they have a three clamp mechanism, which will provide a bit more stability, but they are 80 and 100cm long poles. 

Probably the cheapest way to do what you want is to buy a DM55 arm and pole mount and then buy another DM55 arm. It's about £20 cheaper than buying the pole and two arms. 

So this and this. It's the same price to go for the ones with the extension arms, which add some extra adjustability, so that's what I'd go for. 

Looking for monitor arm suggestions for a X34A + additional 25 inch ultrawide on top for...stuff.

I can't expand horizontally since there's speakers on desk, so the only way is up.

Paint sketch:

Spoiler

image.png.13ed1ddb6eed2032cf60d4b711ae5b69.png < That's the idea

Would prefer UK sellers (Amazon UK, eBay UK, not Scan though), would consider other EU seller countries (Germany, France, etc), would ideally like to avoid the US unless import fess are nice and cheap.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

So are you looking for a single system to mount both? Also, is it desk mount, flat mount or wall mount that you're looking for? 

If you want the best, I'd suggest Ergotron, but you do pay for it. 

38 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

So are you looking for a single system to mount both? Also, is it desk mount, flat mount or wall mount that you're looking for? 

If you want the best, I'd suggest Ergotron, but you do pay for it. 

Desk mount by clamping to desk would be preferred choice. Not game for drilling holes in desk/wall.

Ergotron looks good alright. If they were cheaper or other "Ergotron like" stands/arms I'd lean towards them. But if there's no decent alternative then Ergo it is.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

15 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Desk mount by clamping to desk would be preferred choice. Not game for drilling holes in desk/wall.

Ergotron looks good alright. If they were cheaper or other "Ergotron like" stands/arms I'd lean towards them. But if there's no decent alternative then Ergo it is.

Have a look at Duronic. I believe they're UK based. 

I've used a couple of their mounts and they've been very good so far. 

Novatech also have their own range of mounts. I've not used them myself but the reviews seem to be good. 

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Have a look at Duronic. I believe they're UK based. 

I've used a couple of their mounts and they've been very good so far. 

Novatech also have their own range of mounts. I've not used them myself but the reviews seem to be good. 

Found out that the height of a 34 inch 21x9 panel is around the same as a 27 inch 16x9 panel.

Going to see what Duronic have now that searching seems to gave gotten a bit easier now I guess. What was the Duronic one you have used?

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Found out that the height of a 34 inch 21x9 panel is around the same as a 27 inch 16x9 panel.

Going to see what Duronic have now that searching seems to gave gotten a bit easier now I guess. What was the Duronic one you have used?

The one I use is a wall mount, but I believe the arms are the same, just the mounting mechanism changes. They have poles that clamp to the desk, then you buy the arms you need for the monitors and attach them to the pole.

This is the one I use https://www.duronic.com/products/Duronic-DM55W1X2-Spring-Single-LCD-LED-Sprung-Wall-Mount-Arm-Monitor-Stand-Bracket-with-Tilt-and-Swivel-(Tilt-%2d90°{47}%2b85°|Swivel-180°|Rotate-360°).html

If you don't need anything fancy, something like this could do for two monitors on top of each other. 

https://www.duronic.com/products/Duronic-DM35V2X2-Extended-Double-Twin-LCD-LED-Vertical-Desk-Mount-Arm-Monitor-Stand-Bracket-with-Tilt-and-Swivel-(Tilt-±15°|Swivel-180°|Rotate-360°)-%2b-2-Years-Warranty.html

The one I use is a wall mount, but I believe the arms are the same, just the mounting mechanism changes. They have poles that clamp to the desk, then you buy the arms you need for the monitors and attach them to the pole.

This is the one I use https://www.duronic.com/products/Duronic-DM55W1X2-Spring-Single-LCD-LED-Sprung-Wall-Mount-Arm-Monitor-Stand-Bracket-with-Tilt-and-Swivel-(Tilt-%2d90°{47}%2b85°|Swivel-180°|Rotate-360°).html

I like that design/idea (although as desk mount of course). Easily adjustable if needs be.

Do you think this dual monitor one Could stack them one top of each other if the arms were manipulated that way?

I had originally seen this and thought it looked alright. Seems like it could do the job but can't help but think that those arms might be a bit weak. But since they support 8KG panels they should be ok. Might be overthinking.

19 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Do you think this dual monitor one Could stack them one top of each other if the arms were manipulated that way?

Seems like there's a maximum of 350mm vertical adjustment, so you'd need to work out how far the monitor extends above the VESA mounting point on the bottom monitor and how far below on the top monitor. If it totals less than 350mm, you should be able to have them in the configuration you want. 

19 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I had originally seen this and thought it looked alright. Seems like it could do the job but can't help but think that those arms might be a bit weak. But since they support 8KG panels they should be ok. Might be overthinking.

It should easily cope with most monitors. I think they may seem a little weak because they're fairly thin in width, but considering all of the strain is going to be downwards, they don't need to be very wide as long as they're strong for vertical weight. Because they don't move up on down freely, 

What I'm think the best solution would be is to buy one of the desk mount poles, then buy two adjustable arms for it. It should be possible, but I'm just struggling to find where they have just the arms available. 

Kind of like this, but with another arm so you can easily have the height you need. 

https://www.duronic.com/products/Duronic-DM551X1-Spring-Single-LCD-LED-Sprung-Desk-Mount-Arm-Monitor-Stand-Bracket-with-Tilt-and-Swivel-(Tilt-%2d90°{47}%2b85°Swivel-180°|Rotate-360°)-%2b-2-Years-Warranty.html

EDIT: It looks like the single arms will fit on the poles, but I don't know how you secure them, unless the poles come with multiple fittings for arms. They also sell spare arm extensions for about £10, so you could buy one of those for the dual arm mount and it will extend one of the arms up a bit. 

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Seems like there's a maximum of 350mm vertical adjustment, so you'd need to work out how far the monitor extends above the VESA mounting point on the bottom monitor and how far below on the top monitor. If it totals less than 350mm, you should be able to have them in the configuration you want. 

It should easily cope with most monitors. I think they may seem a little weak because they're fairly thin in width, but considering all of the strain is going to be downwards, they don't need to be very wide as long as they're strong for vertical weight. Because they don't move up on down freely, 

I can measure the bottom monitor since it's my main one right now. Can't really figure what it might be for the future top 29 inch one. Might have to do napkin math with a combo of height and how big it's VESA mount is.

Napkin math says around 260mm from the bottom of the VESA mount on the top one and the top of the VESA mount on the bottom one. Could be WAY out though. Probably going to guess closer to 300mm really. Should be doable. But the second half of your post sounds like a much better idea.

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What I'm think the best solution would be is to buy one of the desk mount poles, then buy two adjustable arms for it. It should be possible, but I'm just struggling to find where they have just the arms available. 

Kind of like this, but with another arm so you can easily have the height you need. 

https://www.duronic.com/products/Duronic-DM551X1-Spring-Single-LCD-LED-Sprung-Desk-Mount-Arm-Monitor-Stand-Bracket-with-Tilt-and-Swivel-(Tilt-%2d90°{47}%2b85°Swivel-180°|Rotate-360°)-%2b-2-Years-Warranty.html

Sounds like a good idea. Might help with clearance since most the dual mount ones look to be paired together, which I imagine would make stacking difficult. Two single mounts allows some freedom between them.

Just need the right pole + some of those spring arm thingies. Although I guess just that to start with would be alright. I can scour eBay for a bit to see what it has.

It looks like the wall mount arms are the same arms as the ones on the dual arm mount you linked. They can be removed from the mount and there's bolts on the side that can be tightened or loosened to make it easier or harder to swing around. I recently took mine apart because I added a new monitor and needed the Duronic mount in a different place to make it work. It seems like the mounting is the same across all of them, so they should fit on the poles. 

The only thing I'm not sure on is how to stop them from sliding down the pole. It looks like most have little stoppers to prevent that, but I don't know if the poles or arms come with them. 

Based on the images from the DM45/DM55 compatible poles, it actually looks like the arms just clamp onto the pole rather than having any stopper. In that case, all you need is one of the poles and two of the wall mount arms and it should work fine. If you go with one of the extra long arms, they have a three clamp mechanism, which will provide a bit more stability, but they are 80 and 100cm long poles. 

Probably the cheapest way to do what you want is to buy a DM55 arm and pole mount and then buy another DM55 arm. It's about £20 cheaper than buying the pole and two arms. 

So this and this. It's the same price to go for the ones with the extension arms, which add some extra adjustability, so that's what I'd go for. 

40 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I think the the arm might come with them. Like a sleeve or something maybe? As the arm is tightened around the pole the sleeve starts to clamp down? Not too sure just by looking.

Preferring how that cheap option sounds. Wouldn't need a huge pole.

I'll give that a shot. Going to buy those two things and a LG 29UM68 as the second display.

Hopefully this whole thing works.

Thanks for the help.

I think the the arm might come with them. Like a sleeve or something maybe? As the arm is tightened around the pole the sleeve starts to clamp down? Not too sure just by looking.

Preferring how that cheap option sounds. Wouldn't need a huge pole.

I'll give that a shot. Going to buy those two things and a LG 29UM68 as the second display.

Hopefully this whole thing works.

Thanks for the help.

Worst case, if the pole is too short, you could buy one of the longer ones and use the arms you have on that. I guess if that's then too long, you could probably cut the top of it off pretty easy

On 17/01/2018 at 10:28 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

Worst case, if the pole is too short, you could buy one of the longer ones and use the arms you have on that. I guess if that's then too long, you could probably cut the top of it off pretty easy

Those two things arrived today. Tried to setup the big ultrawide (X34A) and the monitor arm kept dropping. Even with the spring as tight as it goes it still kept dropping.

Going return them and just get the one that just has the clamp type thing. So this: https://www.duronic.com/products/Duronic-DM451X1-Solid-Single-LCD-LED-Desk-Mount-Monitor-Stand-Bracket-with-Adjustability-(Tilt-±20°|Swivel-180°|Rotate-360°)-%2b-2-Years-Warranty.html

But with the big pole and one of these: https://www.duronic.com/products/Duronic-DM45%2d55-HEAD-Vesa-Mounting-Head.html

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Those two things arrived today. Tried to setup the big ultrawide (X34A) and the monitor arm kept dropping. Even with the spring as tight as it goes it still kept dropping.

Going return them and just get the one that just has the clamp type thing. So this: https://www.duronic.com/products/Duronic-DM451X1-Solid-Single-LCD-LED-Desk-Mount-Monitor-Stand-Bracket-with-Adjustability-(Tilt-±20°|Swivel-180°|Rotate-360°)-%2b-2-Years-Warranty.html

But with the big pole and one of these: https://www.duronic.com/products/Duronic-DM45%2d55-HEAD-Vesa-Mounting-Head.html

That's a shame, maybe the spring types aren't great for heavier monitors. I guess if you don't need to move them up and down much, just being able to clamp them down is okay.