What does Color Gamut CIE1931 72% convert/mean in sRGB?

Just like the title says. What is that mean in sRGB?

I'm looking at a monitor and I can only find the CIE1931, but I have no idea what that would convert to sRGB. Is it 60% or is it 80% or higher or maybe even lower than the 99% sRGB that most use.

So does anyone know?

2 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Just like the title says. What is that mean in sRGB?

I'm looking at a monitor and I can only find the CIE1931, but I have no idea what that would convert to sRGB. Is it 60% or is it 80% or higher or maybe even lower than the 99% sRGB that most use.

So does anyone know?

CIE 1931 is just a coordinate system for representing color gamuts on a chart. sRGB or AdobeRGB (etc.) would be a triangle specifying a section of a CIE 1931 xy chromaticity diagram, or a CIE 1976 u'v' chromaticity diagram, etc. Basically "CIE 1931 72%" is totally meaningless. I assume they mean 72% of some color space (sRGB? AdobeRGB? DCI-P3?) mapped on a CIE 1931 diagram, but no way of knowing what it really means. It's equivalent to saying "62 fps on a bar chart" instead of saying the name of the game that's being represented by the bar on the bar chart.

7 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

CIE 1931 is just a coordinate system for representing color gamuts on a chart. sRGB or AdobeRGB (etc.) would be a triangle specifying a section of a CIE 1931 xy chromaticity diagram, or a CIE 1976 u'v' chromaticity diagram, etc. Basically "CIE 1931 72%" is totally meaningless. I assume they mean 72% of some color space (sRGB? AdobeRGB? DCI-P3?) mapped on a CIE 1931 diagram, but no way of knowing what it really means. It's equivalent to saying "62 fps on a bar chart" instead of saying the name of the game that's being represented by the bar on the bar chart.

So that number is meaningless by itself. Damn.

Forgot to mention in my original post, that the monitor I was looking at is the LG 24MP58VQ-P.

On LG's website it only says CIE1931 72% without going into details.

2 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

So that number is meaningless by itself. Damn.

Forgot to mention in my original post, that the monitor I was looking at is the LG 24MP58VQ-P.

On LG's website it only says CIE1931 72% without going into details.

If I had to guess, I'd say it probably means 72% NTSC which is pretty typical for a 96-98% sRGB IPS display.

4 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

If I had to guess, I'd say it probably means 72% NTSC which is pretty typical for a 96-98% sRGB IPS display.

I see, thank you very much.