Installing Windows to an M.2 SSD While Keeping The Old OS Drive, Do I Need to Reinstall Drivers?

lucagrabacr

Making the title very specific so people don't misread the question. Not asking about how to move or install Windows on said M.2 SSD, but asking if I have to reinstall my drivers (gpu drivers, etc) on the new OS drive (the SSD) or would they work just fine from the old OS drive? I don't particularly know if drivers are tied to the booted OS in any way so. Thanks in advance for the help :)

since your only using the ssd as a startup bootdrive and still keeping your hdd for mass storage with the drivers already on it there should be no reason for you to install the drivers again

1 minute ago, MasterLow said:

since your only using the ssd as a startup bootdrive and still keeping your hdd for mass storage with the drivers already on it there should be no reason for you to install the drivers again

Thanks!

You will need to reinstall the drivers. Your new Windows install will have no idea where the old drivers are installed, and will not find them automatically.

No idea why MasterLow don't think reinstalling drivers is necessary. It most certainly is. 

1 hour ago, MasterLow said:

What are ypu talking about? Every install of OS is separate from another. Only thing booted OS sees are files. They don't know anything about software or drivers installed on another OS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yes, drivers on another drive, since that drive is no longer the OS drive, are irrelevant and you will need to install those you need on your main OS drive.