Do DisplayPort (out) to HDMI (in) cables exist?

wyattzx

I have two monitors that I wish to use, but unfortunately they are HDMI only. My GPU (the EVGA GTX 970 SSC) only has one HDMI port available, and that's being used by my Oculus Rift. My GPU has three full-sized DisplayPort ports on it, so I'd prefer to use them if possible. I have one HDMI to DVI cable, and I can use my DVI port for that, but I will still need one DisplayPort to HDMI (or HDMI to DisplayPort?) cable in order to use both panels.

However, upon searching, I am only finding cables that will go from DisplayPort on the display, to HDMI on the GPU, and they are not bi-directional. Any DisplayPort out to HDMI in cables I have found, are either $149+ adapters, or $4 cables from Amazon with 1-2 stars.

For reference, these are the panels I will be using:

https://www.amazon.com/Designo-MX279H-1920x1080-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515791754&sr=8-1&keywords=mx279

If you can only find $149 adapters you're looking on the wrong websites lol. Should beable to get a decent one for about $10.

Also i'm confused what you mean by this part " I am only finding cables that will go from DisplayPort on the display, to HDMI on the GPU"

Just switch which end you plug in and it'll work the other way round.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

If you can only find $149 adapters you're looking on the wrong websites lol. Should beable to get a decent one for about $10.

Also i'm confused what you mean by this part " I am only finding cables that will go from DisplayPort on the display, to HDMI on the GPU"

Just switch which end you plug in and it'll work the other way round.

Even on Monoprice's website, they specify that the cables are not bi-directional and CANNOT be just "switched around." Is this a marketing gimmick? Because I'd rather not spend $20 on cables only for them to not work and be told "oh lol i misread that" when I ask.

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

1 minute ago, NonaHexa said:

Even on Monoprice's website, they specify that the cables are not bi-directional and CANNOT be just "switched around." Is this a marketing gimmick? Because I'd rather not spend $20 on cables only for them to not work and be told "oh lol i misread that" when I ask.

Could you post a link to that one you're looking at?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Could you post a link to that one you're looking at?

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515792544&sr=8-2&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B015OW3M1W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515792544&sr=8-3&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi

Both of these cables:
"Can only convert signal from DisplayPort to HDTV. This is not a bi-directional adapter"

I assume this means the DisplayPort signal from the GPU, but of course with English like this, you can't be positive.

2 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1515792544&sr=8-2&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable-Feet/dp/B015OW3M1W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515792544&sr=8-3&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi

Both of these cables:
"Can only convert signal from DisplayPort to HDTV. This is not a bi-directional adapter"

I assume this means the DisplayPort signal from the GPU, but of course with English like this, you can't be positive.

Honestly I would just say that it's a marketing gimmick as there is no actual conversion going on like in a Analog-Digital cable

My life

Hmm it appears they're both passive adapters by looking at the reviews (though to be honest, I didn't think passive/active mattered anymore) so that's why they'll be saying it's not bi-directional.

As to if it is a gimmick or it wouldn't actually work.. i wouldn't know without actually testing it :P