100% disk usage

Ethycan

Just bought an ROG GL553VD for $800 Canadian on one of those craigslist type sites- it was honestly a bit over my budget but it seemed like the only decently priced computer on the site.
Anyways, I performed a reset on it, and once I got it up and running I ran into a few issues with it. One being the Hard drive (it might be a combo drive) running at very high disk usages (i.e. 70% or 100% while writing this post.) I have looked on windows support and all those other things but none of them seem to be the same solution which is scary.. wondering if I should just sell the laptop to someone else and get something else.

Anyone know how to fix this issue or if its an actual issue I should be worried about. 

P.S. other issues being: unable to change the OS language completely from French to English, unable to install steam (the steamui.dll isn't found), the cpu fan running at very high speeds like at this moment when writing this forum post, and the gpu not being used- but that's probably fixable by downloading drivers or something. Or maybe its using the I-gpu because I'm not in a game.

Try reinstalling windows since you ARE getting this from another person who prob used it before.

2 minutes ago, Ethycan said:

s (i.e. 70% or 100% while writing this post.)

Did you look at backend services? 

Open your resource monitor, go to the "disk" tab,  and sort by highest disk usage. 

(I'm willing to bet it's just Windows AV and Windows updates screwing stuff up)

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy13 said:

How is your RAM usage, If it is above around 80% then it will start to move stuff to the pagefile on your hard drive, this will pretty much saturate the entire drive read and write speed.

my ram is around 30%

Your system is likely being bottlenecked by your hard drive. A fresh install would help (and recommended since it would fix your other issue at the same time) some, but an SSD would be the best solution.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234450

Basing it off the specifications listed there.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-GL553VD/specifications/

Your laptop is capable of housing a SATA 2.5" drive and a M.2 SSD simultaneously. When you can, I recommend getting a 250GB SSD for the OS and use the 1TB for games and data. That will really help overall performance.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

@Ethycan There are a few reasons why you can see a 100% disk usage (or close to) in Windows 10.

First, go in the Settings ­> System > Notifications and turn off notifications for Windows - might look like this :

Spoiler

System.png.4bff27c27851765ebd6ab195deecf7fc.png

Try that and if it doesn't work, even after a restart then it could either be Windows update or Windows search, disabling one after another and looking at the disk usage will tell you which on it is.

But, if it's one of those service, I wouldn't advise turning it off permanently, but simply to figure out where the usage comes from. Normally, after leaving the PC on overnight that usage should be gone.

As for the OS language, that's unfortunately not completely possible, I have an English Win10 installer that I used for Chinese users (too long to explain here) and even though I switched everything to Chinese, the boot process and some core settings and some random apps are always in English. You would have to use Microsoft Media Creation tool to get the ISO in English and do a clean install.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

As for the OS language, that's unfortunately not completely possible, I have an English Win10 installer that I used for Chinese users (too long to explain here) and even though I switched everything to Chinese, the boot process and some core settings and some random apps are always in English. You would have to use Microsoft Media Creation tool to get the ISO in English and do a clean install.

Not strictly true, I manage the IT for our UK office but also a satellite office in Germany - I install Windows for the germans using the same image, and then simply change the language packs.

Make sure all of the following are in English. (and obviously all the correct language packs are installed)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b49b81852b157a1811adbde4133d7994.png

However  - based on the description of the problems you're having, I would super recommend doing a clean install!!!

Edited by Farden
Typing is hard

3 hours ago, Farden said:

Make sure all of the following are in English. (and obviously all the correct language packs are installed)

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.b49b81852b157a1811adbde4133d7994.png

We learn something everyday!! (I'm going to add that to my notes, though I doubt I'll have to use it at work it'll be useful to help family and friends)

3 hours ago, Farden said:

However  - based on the description of the problems you're having, I would super recommend doing a clean install!!!

Can't agree more.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !