SSD whining?

Cookybiscuit
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

If it doesn't bother you, there's no need to RMA it.

Got a Samsung 840 EVO, set it up outside of the system since I needed to transfer things before taking the HDD out, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed this noise. It's making a whining noise under load you can't even hear unless you put your head next to it. I contacted Samsung and they said to just RMA it, and gave me an email to contact. Turns out the RMA center is in the Netherlands and I really can't be bothered to return something there for something I'm not bothered by.

Should I still return it? I'm not 100% sure if the noise is indicative of another issue (something that will kill it in the future)? Apparently SSD's don't have capacitors so I don't really know what it could be, which is what made me slightly worried by it. It seems to be peforming up to standard so far, the Samsung benchmark utility shows it falling a few % short of the 'up to' ratings.

Thanks.

If it doesn't bother you, there's no need to RMA it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

neh dont think its an indicator for anything breaking and if something would break you could just rma it :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Thanks, I was thinking of just keeping it but if it dies in say 6 months thats far more inconvenient than it dying now (a few days) since I don't have anything on it. I get coil whine is expectable and doesn't suggest a component will fail, but what is this then?