My 1080 is a little warm...

jtmoseley

Alright so I am mining with my 1080 and it immediately jumps and flattens out at 2ghz at 80 degrees. Is that too hot? I feel like thats too hot. Are there any other cooling options that won't break my bank? I know that the nzxt kraken g12 thing exists. Is it compatible with my card? I have a zotac amp 1080. 

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

It's not too hot, but I'd recommend not leaving it running that hot for an extended period of time (e.g. while mining).

Probably just tone down the volts a bit and you should be good.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

3 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

Alright so I am mining with my 1080 and it immediately jumps and flattens out at 2ghz at 80 degrees. Is that too hot? I feel like thats too hot. Are there any other cooling options that won't break my bank? I know that the nzxt kraken g12 thing exists. Is it compatible with my card? I have a zotac amp 1080. 

that temp at which it throttle back are 82-83 celsius, so yeah, you're right on the treshold, what model did you get? ah ok zotac amp... well idk, try feeding it less voltage?

3 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

80 is fine, if you really want to increase the fan curve and 2ghz is actualy gpu boost 3,0 because the defualt is 2.0 ghz so your safe.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

Just now, Howitz said:

that temp at which it throttle back are 82-83 celsius, so yeah, you're right on the treshold, what model did you get? crappy reference or even more crappy asus turbo model?

the zotac amp is a good card.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

step one, LOWER YOUR POWER LIMIT, you don't need 100% power limit or more to maintain hashrates, try to target something in the 70's, also ramp your fan speeds up manually, my 1080ti FOUNDERS EDITIONS (the worst cooler in existence) stay between 57 and 60 because of my fan speed settings and power limit settings, also make sure your case has good airflow.

Just now, Vandorlot said:

the zotac amp is a good card.

yeah i changed my comment when i saw he mentionned the model.

80 is fine, if you really want to increase the fan curve and 2ghz is actualy gpu boost 3,0 because the defualt is 2.0 ghz so your safe.

GPus could go 105c without being damaged, to increase the fan curve download msi afterburner and thne increase the fan curve, also would recommend increasing the target heat threshold to like 90 so it wont throttle. This is all safe. 

My Rig

Peripherals

GPus could go 105c without being damaged, to increase the fan curve download msi afterburner and thne increase the fan curve, also would recommend increasing the target heat threshold to like 90 so it wont throttle. This is all safe. 

clockspeed isn't everything (my 1080ti's are running high 1600's low 1700's), for example if I go to +250 Mhz on the core (something that can be done while mining but not gaming) I actually have lower hashrates then running at only +200, but +150 puts me back to the lower hashrates, my cards sweet spot in in that +180 to +200 range on the core and ironically -300 on the memory, then start dialing the power limit DOWN (which will lower the temp target) till you see hashrates drop then bump it back to just above the point where hashrates drop, I'm drawing a solid 50-75 watts less per card then the card would pull when overclocked and not seeing any noteable performance loss at mining. This "dialing in" the efficiency will significantly reduce the heat output of the card which can then be brought under control easily by bumping the fan speed. There is no reason to be in the 80's or 90's ever while mining.

21 minutes ago, Howitz said:

that temp at which it throttle back are 82-83 celsius, so yeah, you're right on the treshold, what model did you get? ah ok zotac amp... well idk, try feeding it less voltage?

Actually no.

Nvidia GeForce video cards thermal throttle at 93C.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually no.

Nvidia GeForce video cards thermal throttle at 93C.

it throttles itself down way before that, at 83C (big hit) and even earlier i think (small hit). it completely shuts down at 95 C

it's not really thermal throttling because it's GPU boost that basically slows itself down, you still have clocks above advertised (in most cases)

32 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

clockspeed isn't everything (my 1080ti's are running high 1600's low 1700's), for example if I go to +250 Mhz on the core (something that can be done while mining but not gaming) I actually have lower hashrates then running at only +200, but +150 puts me back to the lower hashrates, my cards sweet spot in in that +180 to +200 range on the core and ironically -300 on the memory, then start dialing the power limit DOWN (which will lower the temp target) till you see hashrates drop then bump it back to just above the point where hashrates drop, I'm drawing a solid 50-75 watts less per card then the card would pull when overclocked and not seeing any noteable performance loss at mining. This "dialing in" the efficiency will significantly reduce the heat output of the card which can then be brought under control easily by bumping the fan speed. There is no reason to be in the 80's or 90's ever while mining.

So do I just set the fan curve on MSI afterburner aggressively, then fiddle with the voltage? Alright.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

6 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

So do I just set the fan curve on MSI afterburner aggressively, then fiddle with the voltage? Alright.

I used EVGA precision X OC, but MSI should work, basically go ahead and set a static like 50% fan speed just to start it cooling, wouldn't hurt to do a little research as to what Core Clock offset and Memory Clock offset people are using for the app you are mining with (like using Claymore to mine Ethereum has VERY DIFFERENT settings compared to what is best for Nicehash mining) and so once you get the hashrates as high as you can start dialing back the Power Limit setting, generally speaking you should be able to get somewhere in the 70's% before you see a hashrate drop (note it can take 1 or 2 minutes to see a change in hashrate "settle in" if mining with Nicehash after making a change to any setting, once you find the sweet spot in the Power Limit setting then do final tweaking of the fan speed to achieve the desired noise level to temperature you are happy with (I took a higher noise level to get the temps under 60c because thats a good temp to me), once you get all that set, save it as a profile you can apply, that way when you start mining you enable the profile and if you stop mining you return to your default settings so your computer doesn't crash, the memclock and baseclocks you can do when mining can make the regular non-mining unstable, like for example when mining Ethereum I can crank my Mem Clock all the way to +800, if I close the miner without switching off that profile the Graphics driver locks up and crashes like I had a bad overclock (which is nothing horrible just a little hassle and time to get back up and running).

Agree with lowering the voltage.  Shouldn't need much to let boost 3.0 do it's job and hit 2k.  Shouldn't need but 1.02v to 1.03v to hit those clocks, WITH a custom fan curve to keep the core cooler.  The cooler you keep the core, the less voltage it'll require to hit those clocks.

And....that's IF you even need the additional clock speed to maintain your hash rate.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10