6 monitor software development rig help...

Hey all,

I have been tasked with creating a new rig workstation for the company I work at. I have the most hardware experience out of everyone there so I got stuck with the job and need some opinions.

The monitors will be displayed with the two 27" screens rotated vertically in the middle, with the four smaller screens placed on the outside (two on each side).

What I really need help with is how to attach the monitors to the system GPU wise. The four smaller monitors (AOC e2270SWDN) all have DVI inputs and the two larger screens (Asus VC279H) have HDMI, Dual-link DVI and VGA to choose from. What i was originally planning to do was have one Quadro NVS510 (https://www.umart.com.au/Leadtek-Quadro-NVS510_35071G.html) which has four DVI converted outputs to power the smaller monitors, and then use the integrated mobo outputs for one HDMI and one DVI for the larger two screens. Does this seem do-able?

Another option is running two GTX1050Ti's and using them without SLI to run the monitors. How would the system fair with using just integrated graphics on the 8700K? All the system will be doing is Visual Studio, a few SQL database lookups and a browser window open at the same time (strictly no gaming, at all).

Been a few years since I built my system, so your thoughts are appreciated. 

Cheers

Liam

Can the display be simplified by replacing the monitors with fewer larger ones of higher resolution? Three 3840x2160 monitors would provide more desktop area than the six monitors described and could be run off of one gpu.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

You can basically get any graphics card you want (just try to not mix AMD and Nvidia cards) and connect whatever monitors you want to it.

As long as the drivers are happy it should all be fine.

I ran an HD6950 for 1 monitor and a GT440 for 2 others back in the day just fine so it's possible :P

Every gpu will take care of the monitors it has connected to it, they won't do tasks for each other but that should be fine in your case :)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, brob said:

Can the display be simplified by replacing the monitors with fewer larger ones of higher resolution? Three 3840x2160 monitors would provide more desktop area than the six monitors described and could be run off of one gpu.

Unfortunately not. The boss has set out what he needs on every monitor and has requested six... I have already tried to argue that point. The size of his desk is also another limitation.

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

You can basically get any graphics card you want (just try to not mix AMD and Nvidia cards) and connect whatever monitors you want to it.

As long as the drivers are happy it should all be fine.

I ran an HD6950 for 1 monitor and a GT440 for 2 others back in the day just fine so it's possible :P

Every gpu will take care of the monitors it has connected to it, they won't do tasks for each other but that should be fine in your case :)

Awesome, good to know it can be done. Thanks for the tip

Just now, retardeduck said:

Awesome, good to know it can be done. Thanks for the tip

Another few tips, if you are planning to use the iGPU of the intel cpu, you need to do 2 things.

1) Enable the iGPU in the BIOS, most motherboards turn off the iGPU once a graphics card is detected so you'll need to turn it back on.

2) Install the nvidia/amd driver first and then the Intel driver. The other way round might cause issues.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon