How to decrease RAM memory shared as VRAM on Windows 10?

lucagrabacr

JFC. I googled this question and looked through all the indexed threads on Microsoft forum and so on, and from all the answers it's obvious no one knows what the OPs are asking since their answer is usually "You need to upgrade your VGA to increase VRAM" or "You are already sharing x amount of your ram with your video graphics.."

NO FFS THESE PLEBS, IM TRYING TO REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF MY 8GB RAM THAT IS SOMEHOW SHARED WITH MY 3GB GTX 1060 WHICH MAKES IT HAVE 7GB OF VRAM AND MAKES ME ONLY HAVE 4GB OF USABLE RAM.

4402db9318b1f147ba4d43e937f97299.png

Okay sorry I was very triggered. So, does anyone know where I can change it? I tried looking in the BIOS as one of the many people who answered (who sounds like he actually knows what the problem is) suggested, but it's not there.

Edit: Someone said it's not taking any amount of my RAM except when it's actually needed, but it does because I checked my system usage with Afterburner and HWInfo and my RAM usage maxed out at 4GB while the rest is carried by my pagefile.

Edit:  Ignore.. My information was wrong.  

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

What does task manager say when you try and use all your RAM?

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

What does task manager say when you try and use all your RAM?

Hmm, now it actually says I use more than 4GB of RAM (4.5 ish) both in task manager and MSI reading, but I still use a lot of pagefiles for some reason (5gb ish). Maybe it's indeed not being used unless my VRAM is maxed out after all.

But still, how do I disable the feature completely so my RAM doesn't get used up if I maxed up my VRAM usage?

is your ram overclocked? try removing any overclocks and see if that fixes it, also make sure your bios doesnt have any sharing settings for video memory and if it does disable it or set it to the minimum if you cant disable it outright 

1 minute ago, luigi90210 said:

is your ram overclocked? try removing any overclocks and see if that fixes it, also make sure your bios doesnt have any sharing settings for video memory and if it does disable it or set it to the minimum if you cant disable it outright 

It's not overclocked.

I have checked my bios and the setting isn't there, I will try updating the BIOS and see if the setting pops up

8 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

Hmm, now it actually says I use more than 4GB of RAM (4.5 ish) both in task manager and MSI reading, but I still use a lot of pagefiles for some reason (5gb ish). Maybe it's indeed not being used unless my VRAM is maxed out after all.

But still, how do I disable the feature completely so my RAM doesn't get used up if I maxed up my VRAM usage?

what are you using to max out your RAM useage?

5 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

It's not overclocked.

I have checked my bios and the setting isn't there, I will try updating the BIOS and see if the setting pops up

is your processor overclocked? whats your full system specs

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

what are you using to max out your RAM useage?

After you asked to see my ram usage on task manager, I opened as many tabs as I can on Chrome opening YouTube pages, and then tried on the application I used earlier which is Second Life

1 hour ago, luigi90210 said:

is your processor overclocked? whats your full system specs

It's a Ryzen 3 1200 overclocked @ 3.8GHz on 1.28v with the stock cooler. 8GB 2133mhz DDR4 Corsair Valueselect RAM, 2 250gb HDD, 1 120gb SSD, a 500w power supply, GTX 1060 (it was broken, I'm returning it and probably gonna replace with another 960) and 3 case fans 

1 hour ago, Snipeon said:

under msconfig, boot tab, click on advanced options and check that the maximum memory box isn't checked.
image.png.174d6cd14c5e0db4b78729be8cbe46f1.png

Checked there, maximum memory isn't checked ;o

36 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

After you asked to see my ram usage on task manager, I opened as many tabs as I can on Chrome opening YouTube pages, and then tried on the application I used earlier which is Second Life

It's a Ryzen 3 1200 overclocked @ 3.8GHz on 1.28v with the stock cooler. 8GB 2133mhz DDR4 Corsair Valueselect RAM, 2 250gb HDD, 1 120gb SSD, a 500w power supply, GTX 1060 (it was broken, I'm returning it and probably gonna replace with another 960) and 3 case fans 

Checked there, maximum memory isn't checked ;o

try increasing your cpu voltage to 1.3625v and see if that helps

I would try using a VM to test your full capacity of RAM. Using a game and some tabs will not be ideal.

You may also use:  https://www.memtest86.com/

This will test the sectors of your RAM to ensure all are available.

This behaviour for a graphics card to share your RAM however is completely normal and doesn't mean your system cannot utilise it. It is shared memory, so it depends on the scenario for it to be utilised. If you aren't using your GPUs memory fully, then you should have access to all 8GB of RAM. Just because you are pageing does not mean your RAM is full. Windows, among other OSes, it is normal for pageing to occur.

Stupid question, but are you still using a 32bit OS?

EDIT: never mind, I didn't see it was 10 in the title.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Stupid question, but are you still using a 32bit OS?

EDIT: never mind, I didn't see it was 10 in the title.

It wasn't stupid.Windows 10 does have a 32bit version of OS.

7 hours ago, Roman848 said:

It wasn't stupid.Windows 10 does have a 32bit version of OS.

I didn't know that. Cheers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Disable iGPU. That should fix it. No dedicated GPU needs RAM. Thats why they have VRAM.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, lucagrabacr said:

JFC. I googled this question and looked through all the indexed threads on Microsoft forum and so on, and from all the answers it's obvious no one knows what the OPs are asking since their answer is usually "You need to upgrade your VGA to increase VRAM" or "You are already sharing x amount of your ram with your video graphics.."

NO FFS THESE PLEBS, IM TRYING TO REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF MY 8GB RAM THAT IS SOMEHOW SHARED WITH MY 3GB GTX 1060 WHICH MAKES IT HAVE 7GB OF VRAM AND MAKES ME ONLY HAVE 4GB OF USABLE RAM.

4402db9318b1f147ba4d43e937f97299.png

Okay sorry I was very triggered. So, does anyone know where I can change it? I tried looking in the BIOS as one of the many people who answered (who sounds like he actually knows what the problem is) suggested, but it's not there.

Edit: Someone said it's not taking any amount of my RAM except when it's actually needed, but it does because I checked my system usage with Afterburner and HWInfo and my RAM usage maxed out at 4GB while the rest is carried by my pagefile.

I have a GTX 1060 3GB and as well it uses 4GB of my arm. Now my only thought of why this is, is because the GPU needs more ram than what it can provide. There is no way to disable this in any way. (But then again I might be wrong) all I'm going to say is to jump up a 16GB ram kit. But really as it is now you shouldn't have huge issues.

Killersponge3920