Making wood monitor stand, need advise :D

Hey guys i need your opinion on my plans to making a wood monitor stand ... as i am NOT a wood master ^^' do you think 3 cm thick wood will support my monitor ?  i need this to "hide" my keyboard bellow so i can have more place to study .... it needs to have a bottom gap of 43 cm between the legs so the keyboard fits and 10 cm height (or 12 ? what do you think ?) . i made a basic sketch of waht i have in mind. i tested the 10cm height with some books and it feels good for me. 

IMG_20180109_113904.jpg

IMG_20180109_114604.jpg

3cm thickness is fine, for particleboard make sure you dont get it wet or if you do dry it as soon as possible.

also might i ask why only 43cm? And is the 2cm piece in the middle support? The 10cm is perfectly fine height wise for a keyboard/mouse stowaway.

42 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

3cm thickness is fine, for particleboard make sure you dont get it wet or if you do dry it as soon as possible.

also might i ask why only 43cm? And is the 2cm piece in the middle support? The 10cm is perfectly fine height wise for a keyboard/mouse stowaway.

It's going to be solid wood, not mdf or particle board.  

43 cm gap is because my keyboard is 40 cm and i just need it to fit my keyboard.

the 2cm middle piece is gonna be kind of a "shelf" to put university important papers and small stuff, so is going to be like : keyboard 2 cm gap, then 2 cm wood "shelf", 3 cm gap for stuff, and 3 cm wood  ( 2+2+3+3= 10cm). 

are you suggesting i do it wider ? like 50 cm ? i dont have a very large desk... its like 1,2m roughly so i was affraid doing the stand too big and it wouldn't look good i guess...  i'm open to new ideas :D 

EDIT: i was affraid doing it too big because i dont know if it might "bend" down because of the monitor weight over time ... so i did it as small as possible.

If you're going to only have 1 monitor for your entire time at university 43cm will be fine esp for what you need it to do, I was just thinking what if you bought a second.

If you're worried about the long term bending of the wood you could always put a small support between the top and middle shelf to add the support, but I doubt that would be needed with such a short length with a LCD monitor.

To prevent it and from any sort of stress the top board should be on top of the sideboards, in other words the piece of wood for the monitor should be 49cm, the side pieces should be 7cm, the middle 2cm board should be 43cm. It'll add a little bit of strength and lowers the chance of bending, also use angle brackets something like this should work, cheap but reliable:

$_35.JPG

If you do put a middle support you don't need to use these for that, you just need to use 2-4 wood nails to hold it into place.

Also I'm assuming you're going to be making it at least the width of the monitors stand so you should use 2 on each side, one front one back or 8 total.

Oh if you can find a angle like this get this one instead it'll give additional protection and shouldn't be much more expensive. It's due to the indent in the center which prevents the piece it self from bending inwards.

ba-1_4.jpg

I changed my mind .... 

i'm going to do something like this:

https://www.pinterest.pt/pin/421579215093677745/

but i'm going to do it almost the lenght of the desk in case i want to have a second monitor ( actually you gave me an awesome and easy idea xD )

it's going to be easier for me to just get a 2 pieces of wood for the shelf and top part... 6 or 8 legs and support beams and just screw them on 

On 1/9/2018 at 1:14 PM, Cazan said:

I changed my mind .... 

i'm going to do something like this:

https://www.pinterest.pt/pin/421579215093677745/

but i'm going to do it almost the lenght of the desk in case i want to have a second monitor ( actually you gave me an awesome and easy idea xD )

it's going to be easier for me to just get a 2 pieces of wood for the shelf and top part... 6 or 8 legs and support beams and just screw them on 

I tend to look into what I might want in the future or whats possible and relay that possibility when possible :P

It should be a whole lot easier and most definitely faster, possibly cheaper.

Edit:

6 hours ago, Cazan said:

@Egg-Roll

This is how it turned out . simple with some screws and sturdy :D 

No idea why i didn't get tagged or notified (I technically never left this page lol)

But yea it looks great :) You shouldn't need to worry about bending or anything that looks like a good stable wood.

12 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I tend to look into what I might want in the future or whats possible and relay that possibility when possible :P

It should be a whole lot easier and most definitely faster, possibly cheaper.

Edit:

No idea why i didn't get tagged or notified (I technically never left this page lol)

But yea it looks great :) You shouldn't need to worry about bending or anything that looks like a good stable wood.

i just tagged you instead of quoting because it seemed a lot easier and less cluttered ^^' just to show the final result  ! i know you didnt leave xD

EDIT : Next week I will sand it down and apply some varnish or danish oil so it looks better and looks like the rest of the wood from my house :P 

1 hour ago, Cazan said:

i just tagged you instead of quoting because it seemed a lot easier and less cluttered ^^' just to show the final result  ! i know you didnt leave xD

EDIT : Next week I will sand it down and apply some varnish or danish oil so it looks better and looks like the rest of the wood from my house :P 

Are either of those finishes prone to static buildup?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 minutes ago, brob said:

Are either of those finishes prone to static buildup?

i dont know ^^' but it's not supposed to get static buildup since it's wood right ?... i'm gonna sand it and stain it with 1-2 coats and leave it drying very well. Going to do all of this in my garage and far away from my desk, i'll put it back when it's dry ... i guess it doens't buildup static since it's wood idk :/ 

1 minute ago, Cazan said:

i dont know ^^' but it's not supposed to get static buildup since it's wood right ?... i'm gonna sand it and stain it with 1-2 coats and leave it drying very well , all of this in my garage and far away from my desk, i'll put it back when it's dry ... i guess it doens't buildup static since it's wood idk :/ 

Plain wood does not have a problem with static buildup. I do know that some polyurethane finishes have a problem.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

30 minutes ago, brob said:

Plain wood does not have a problem with static buildup. I do know that some polyurethane finishes have a problem.

Oh... i guess i will do a search on it ..  read the labels of what i have and see if i find something. Thanks ! Next week i'll update. 

10 minutes ago, brob said:

It would only become a issue if they where to put computer parts on the table parts w/o grounding it. However I have not heard of a computer component being fried by a table yet.

danish oil should be fine as should varnish be fine too as neither should be poly based or at least to my knowledge. The container should say if it has Poly or no anyways.

Most of these concerns are not too worrisome due to the stands purpose, plus the fact the entire place is full of wood anyways. When applying I wouldn't do it near the computer (inside the home is usually a big no no due to fumes etc) and would let it cure 2x longer than suggested, possibly longer if the climate isn't close to optimal.