Windows 7 OEM Activation

Craigape

Hey, new to the forums, did my research and came up dry. I'm hopeful a tech wizard here might be able to give me the best answer, even if it's a definitive "no."

I had an HP laptop with a dead hard drive. I don't have the original Windows 7 Pro install disc, but I do have the OEM product key, so I downloaded a Windows 7 image online and got that installed on a new drive. Of course, my OEM key cannot activate it. I still have the old hard drive and can recover Windows files, or even the recovery partition, from it, but from my research this didn't seem like it would help and I can't guarantee the integrity of these files regardless. I know you can buy HP Windows 7 installation discs for like $8, but in my scenario is this the only option, and more importantly would this even work? I've tried quite a bit so far, but am open to any ideas and glad to answer any questions.

Honestly your out of luck. Windows 7 ISO's wont work with OEM keys unless its from an OEM ISO. Unless you can somehow manage to access the dead HDD and clone it to the new one you are out of luck 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

To activate a Win7 OEM system there needs to be 3 components: One is included in the hardware (bios), one is the Windows key, and one is the OEM key/certificate file. If all 3 are present, Windows will self activate. You need to extract the keyfile. It isn't as simple as copying a file though as it is stored in some database in Windows. Not sure it'll be easy if the other disk isn't bootable any more.

Ooh, in a quick search I found this:http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/m/microsoft_os/20443565

The ZIP package seems to include other OEM including HP, so not limited to Dell. Use at your own risk, I haven't used it, but it looks like the missing part to convert a generic Windows install to an OEM activated one, in conjunction with the hardware and key.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, silentprototipe said:

Honestly your out of luck. Windows 7 ISO's wont work with OEM keys unless its from an OEM ISO. Unless you can somehow manage to access the dead HDD and clone it to the new one you are out of luck 

I'll pursue cloning and report back. If I have no success there, do you know if any old HP Windows 7 Pro installation disc would get me back up and running? Are there any concerns down that route?

Personally I'd try to get the files off the dead HDD somehow (Idk how since you said it was dead but u could get files off) but other than that I wouldn't know about the HP install disk I'd probably contact HP to get details about it.

10 minutes ago, porina said:

To activate a Win7 OEM system there needs to be 3 components: One is included in the hardware (bios), one is the Windows key, and one is the OEM key/certificate file. If all 3 are present, Windows will self activate. You need to extract the keyfile. It isn't as simple as copying a file though as it is stored in some database in Windows. Not sure it'll be easy if the other disk isn't bootable any more.

Ooh, in a quick search I found this:http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/m/microsoft_os/20443565

The ZIP package seems to include other OEM including HP, so not limited to Dell. Use at your own risk, I haven't used it, but it looks like the missing part to convert a generic Windows install to an OEM activated one, in conjunction with the hardware and key.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot after the first suggestion since I don't have anything sensitive on this drive. I'll report back with any and all successes or failures, in case anyone stumbles on this with the same problem.