Laptop to Desktop File Sharing

Marc Valdez

I was wondering if its possible to create a LAN with the laptop on Wi-Fi and the desktop on Ethernet? Same router.

I can't get them to ping each other (Request Timed Out).
Is it firewall? Or what?

I've heard it's possible to transfer data via Ethernet directly from PC to PC as long as your hardware supports it(some streamers do this, covered in TechQuickie's video "What do I need to stream?").

Windows Homegroup should allow you to do that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If I remember correctly, you have to enable a firewall option in order to ping across a network.

6 minutes ago, xxREDFTWxx said:

I was wondering if its possible to create a LAN with the laptop on Wi-Fi and the desktop on Ethernet? Same router.

I can't get them to ping each other (Request Timed Out).
Is it firewall? Or what?

Resolving this issue varies from router to router. Could you let me know your router's model number?

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

If both are Windows you can use the built in sharing thing, homegroups.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've heard it's possible to transfer data via Ethernet directly from PC to PC as long as your hardware supports it(some streamers do this, covered in TechQuickie's video "What do I need to stream?").

Windows Homegroup should allow you to do that.

The thing is I can't get them to see each other in the network. 
Laptop in WIFI
Desktop in ETHERNET
So basically I'm looking for WIFI-ETHERNET Lan (Not Ethernet to Ethernet)
(I know how to do wired networking BTW, also my teacher said that the computers are in the same network if they can ping each other.)

1 hour ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

Resolving this issue varies from router to router. Could you let me know your router's model number?

gpon onu an5506-04 (its unknown, even for me. it came bundled with the fibr plan so generic i guess?)

1 hour ago, KoreanAsian said:

A protocol called ICMP is used for pining, you'll need to enable this on the target computer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749323(v=ws.10).aspx

Edit: Pineapple brought up a good point as well.

I gotta read up on this thanks.

Thanks for the replies :)

1 hour ago, r4tch3t said:

If both are Windows you can use the built in sharing thing, homegroups.

Yeah I know, thanks :)

Check your router configuration. Sometimes a setting is configured to not allow traffic between WiFi and LAN

13 hours ago, xxREDFTWxx said:

gpon onu an5506-04 (its unknown, even for me. it came bundled with the fibr plan so generic i guess?)

The GPON seems a bit dated, not sure how much you're going to be able to do in the admin UI other than turn off your firewall. You can turn off your router's built-in firewall under the security tab to see if your computers can communicate with each other. It should look something like this:

firewall-33368.jpg

If you're not sure how to access this page, use "ipconfig" in Command Prompt and enter the IP address next to default gateway into your browser. Your default username and password should be located on a sticker on the router.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Transfering files between a PC connected with ethernet and a notebook connected with wifi is possible, yes.

I think your issue with pings is your windows firewall. Try to disable it on both clients and see if pinging works now.

I don't have an english version of Windows avaliable at the moment, so I can't look up the specific rule (at least not in english).

You can find it pretty easily by sorting the incoming rules by protocol. There should be one or two rules which say something with "echo request" and ICMPv4 protocol (I assume you don't use IPv6?).

1 hour ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

The firewall you are talking about here is the firewall between LAN and WAN, it has nothing to do with clients in the LAN trying to communicate with each other. I would highly recommend you to keep this one enabled.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.